[Update] Netflix is officially going to crack down on users using proxy method(s) to access Netflix U.S - Already going after people!

GoodBytes

When Netflix came to Australia there was a sharp dip in piracy, i would bet my life that when Netflix start geo-blocking us Australian Netflix subscriptions will take a dive and downloading will rise again. I think that Netflix is well aware of this but they need to be seen as doing everything they can to stop us accessing content from other countries. 

Fuck Hollywood then. Most of the studios behind geo blocking are there.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yes they do... well at least different pricing.

Anyway in other news 

424px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png

traffic has doubled

Hey Ben! Hows business?

Ben: BOOMIN

Idk if you know what Im talking about, but its a DJ Khaled reference :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Canadian media sources must be 60% Canadian media or more, hence less us based selection

For Canadian TV stations (ones that are actually based in Canada), no doubt you are correct. But there are many US TV stations that are literally rebroadcast via Canadian Cable/Satellite services, like HBO, AMC, etc. Some of those have literally zero Canadian Content.

I would want to see the specific wording of the law to come to a conclusion. The wording could say that the entire Cable subscription requires 60% Canadian content, but that wouldn't make sense either, with "A la carte" channel selection becoming more and more common. I personally think the 60% rule only applies to stations that operate inside Canada, not ones that are rebroadcast from the US into Canada.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For Canadian TV stations (ones that are actually based in Canada), no doubt you are correct. But there are many US TV stations that are literally rebroadcast via Canadian Cable/Satellite services, like HBO, AMC, etc. Some of those have literally zero Canadian Content.

I would want to see the specific wording of the law to come to a conclusion. The wording could say that the entire Cable subscription requires 60% Canadian content, but that wouldn't make sense either, with "A la carte" channel selection becoming more and more common. I personally think the 60% rule only applies to stations that operate inside Canada, not ones that are rebroadcast from the US into Canada.

im not entirely sure on it but it seemed with Netflix it would remove some American movies to make room for new ones, which I saw happen many times

im not entirely sure on it but it seemed with Netflix it would remove some American movies to make room for new ones, which I saw happen many times

I'm not convinced that Netflix is removing shows to adhere to Canadian Law - They remove content all the time when:

1. Their license expires (Often a studio won't renew the license, because someone else got an exclusive, or they just introduced their own platform, etc)

2. Viewership numbers were down (If something is unpopular - especially when it's a big-name item that has a large license fee, it'll get dumped)

I'm sure there are other reasons too, but those 2 are the biggest ones.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm not convinced that Netflix is removing shows to adhere to Canadian Law - They remove content all the time when:

1. Their license expires (Often a studio won't renew the license, because someone else got an exclusive, or they just introduced their own platform, etc)

2. Viewership numbers were down (If something is unpopular - especially when it's a big-name item that has a large license fee, it'll get dumped)

I'm sure there are other reasons too, but those 2 are the biggest ones.

yea that's probably true, just find they remove content in Canada a lot more than from the us site

yea that's probably true, just find they remove content in Canada a lot more than from the us site

Well there ARE more of them then us :P

I had several things removed on me while I was mid-show, and it was removed both on US and Canada. The latest was a re-watch of Futurama - US had all 10 seasons, and Canada had Seasons 7-10. Then they removed all seasons except seasons 4-6 on both US and Canada - WTF why leave the middle ones? They aren't even the best seasons (First 5 seasons are by far the best). So I didn't even get to finish the last couple seasons.

Well there ARE more of them then us :P

I had several things removed on me while I was mid-show, and it was removed both on US and Canada. The latest was a re-watch of Futurama - US had all 10 seasons, and Canada had Seasons 7-10. Then they removed all seasons except seasons 4-6 on both US and Canada - WTF why leave the middle ones? They aren't even the best seasons (First 5 seasons are by far the best). So I didn't even get to finish the last couple seasons.

the first 5 were some of the best, but  I liked them all, watched them a few times  :D

Many Netflix users in Canada and other countries uses VPN to proxy themselves on U.S servers to access content on Netflix U.S. Netflix has different content in different regions. In the case of Canada, many Canadian prefer the selection and additional content that Netflix U.S has over what Netflix Canada has.

After warnings of not doing this in the past, Netflix announced that it will officially crack down on people accessing content from Netflix of a different region that they are in, using a proxy method.

David Fullagar, Netflix’s vice president of content delivery, says in a Netflix blog post:

It’s unclear, however, exactly how Netflix plans to stop this, but it is possible that they ban users detected to do so.

Netflix is taking such action probably due to high pressure by the movie industry in order to renew contract or build confidence to be able to get the needed licenses/agreement for providing Netflix in 130 countries.

Source: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/01/14/its-official-netflix-says-it-plans-to-crack-down-on-copyright-infringing-proxy-users/

Are you affected by this? Do you enjoy Netflix U.S content better?

then i guess Netflix become non operational outside US soon.. people need content if we are paying the amount they are asking..

rent a vps server and install VPN on it

they will never know

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

inb4 netflix loses 98% of subscriber base who were all using VPS, VPNs lost 96% of customer base who only used it for netflix, and the global economy crashes. Also, download speeds for everyone improve 3000%. Netflix still manages to survive because they have to pay comcast so much less for bandwidth.

Okay, look, I watched all the anime I'm interested in that they have. I may be literally the only person who is unaffected by this.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

inb4 netflix loses 98% of subscriber base who were all using VPS, VPNs lost 96% of customer base who only used it for netflix, and the global economy crashes. Also, download speeds for everyone improve 3000%. Netflix still manages to survive because they have to pay comcast so much less for bandwidth.

Okay, look, I watched all the anime I'm interested in that they have. I may be literally the only person who is unaffected by this.

40724610.jpg

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Glad I canceled my Netflix membership.

If they act like this stupid, then fuck no, I'm no longer paying for a shitty service.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Incidentally, my subscription is about done. I was seriously consider paying to renew it but I don't think I will, cause fuck regions.

To be fair, this sounds like several content licenses forced their hand and made em promise they'd crack down before they'd renew their distribution contract with them, but even then I mostly don't watch tvs or movies anymore and at this rate I don't think there's enough content to justify the price per month, not when you're arbitrarily limiting to only 1 region.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Incidentally, my subscription is about done. I was seriously consider paying to renew it but I don't think I will, cause fuck regions.

To be fair, this sounds like several content licenses forced their hand and made em promise they'd crack down before they'd renew their distribution contract with them, but even then I mostly don't watch tvs or movies anymore and at this rate I don't think there's enough content to justify the price per month, not when you're arbitrarily limiting to only 1 region.

This might cheer you up: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/gadgets-on-the-go/netflix-wont-stop-aussies-sneaking-into-its-us-library-20160115-gm6m8i.html

Though the negative spin on things with a funny bit:

As the IT Crowd reminds us, illegally downloading a film is akin to stealing a policeman’s hat, going to the toilet in it, and returning it to his widow.

It robs creators of money they can use to make more and better content.

But today we’re being told paying for entertainment can be bad too, if that entertainment is designed for American eyes only.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/comment-netflix-crackdown-will-hurt-lawabiding-feepaying-australian-tv-viewers/news-story/9072d1d8a8030d2dd463ae3a5a83852d

PMSL

Good!

Now maybe people will stop paying to pirate and deluding themselves it's any different.

If you want to pirate, then do it for free.

(Bypassing region locks is technically piracy)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well piracy just increased again then

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Good!

Now maybe people will stop paying to pirate and deluding themselves it's any different.

Nothing is being stolen or copied at all-to use any countries Netflix you need to pay.

PMSL

Nothing is being stolen or copied at all-to use any countries Netflix you need to pay.

Doesn't matter. You're bypassing region locks = piracy

You're just being dumb enough to pay to do it

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Marshall McLuhan and capitalism don't mix very well, don't they?

And yes, BitTorrent got more traffic once again. Personally, the media I enjoy aren't primarily mainstream Netflix content; anime sites (yay Crunchyroll) still have better collection than Netflix itself.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Doesn't matter. You're bypassing region locks = piracy

You're just being dumb enough to pay to do it

Geoblocking is used by studios to price gouge, so read this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-29/geo-blocking-mps-committee-price-report-apple-adobe-microsoft/4850484

Granted this is about Netflix and the studios doing the geoblocking, but the same thing applies. Geoblocking is only a tool to get consumers to pay more than the fair price and to prevent consumers from speaking with their wallet.

PMSL

Can someone explain to me how they can detect if you're using a proxy or VPN service? Doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like Netflix doesn't want any money. I mean like what are they thinking ? Its not like they're stealing they are still paying for using netflix. Shit allow people to geosurf, there is a reason why they do it. Because they want to watch shows that other people are watching.

Either Netflix can start losing money due to pirating because they clearly don't understand how to think from the consumers. Or they can continue it and allow it to happen because why not they aren't hurting anyone. They are still paying you PAYING YOU! It's not like they aren't if they weren't that would be a different story but now it sounds like Netflix is just being assholes for no apparent reason other than to piss off everyone.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Good!

Then how about you don't copy music.

Don't download music from the net

Don't copy movies

copy games to your other computers

Don't make any copies of games in case something happens to your disc copy. 

Don't use any online reading websites such as mangahere or .net or batoto because that is pirating as well.

Don't use any website that has english translations of light novels because that's pirating. 

Don't use emulators because you can pirate with that.

No more watching anime on other sites other than crunchyroll. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT