Is this tomshardware user correct?

Before you read this, take into consideration that all answers in this thread should help answer the question not be off topic and start a flame war because this is going to involve amd and intel cpu comparisons...If you can't handle it refrain yourself from posting

So I was asking this guy on tomshardware on advice for a future build for my cousin, I thought that I would get my cousin the same cpu I have (i5 4460)...But the user recommends me three options

Amd FX-8320 with OC:  He states that this option will be cheaper than me getting a 40-50$ mobo with my i5-4460 (180 dollars) since he states that I could get an amd Fx-8320 which is 140 dollars and an 80$ high end mobo to OC it to 8350 levels...He states that it will perform better than skylake i5 cpu in most scenarios and the i5 4460<<<Meh I cringe but its up to you guys to see if that is true

Or the FX 8350 with no OC: 160-170 dollars and he states that comparing the i5-4460 (my option) and fx 8350, there is no advantage in the i5 4460 for a 60hz monitor user since the screen can only display mostly 60fps and said that the fx 8350 will already be making more than that<<<<I need elaboration on that 

Or the fx 8350 with OC: 160-170 dollars + an 80 dollar mobo to OC to get better performance than the i5-4460 I am recommending for my cousin.  

What do you guys think?  He states that he has 30+ years in building computers so I would trust him with that background but at the same time I still question his thinking

Any help to clear my confusion would be nice, since I want a good cpu under 150 dollars for my cousin....Also we are still in a conversation so yeah I will update on what he says later

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Before you read this, take into consideration that all answers in this thread should help answer the question not be off topic and start a flame war because this is going to involve amd and intel cpu comparisons...If you can't handle it refrain yourself from posting

So I was asking this guy on tomshardware on advice for a future build for my cousin, I thought that I would get my cousin the same cpu I have (i5 4460)...But the user recommends me three options

Amd FX-8320 with OC:  He states that this option will be cheaper than me getting a 40-50$ mobo with my i5-4460 (180 dollars) since he states that I could get an amd Fx-8320 which is 140 dollars and an 80$ high end mobo to OC it to 8350 levels...He states that it will perform better than skylake i5 cpu in most scenarios and the i5 4460<<<Meh I cringe but its up to you guys to see if that is true

Or the FX 8350 with no OC: 160-170 dollars and he states that comparing the i5-4460 (my option) and fx 8350, there is no advantage in the i5 4460 for a 60hz monitor user since the screen can only display mostly 60fps and said that the fx 8350 will already be making more than that<<<<I need elaboration on that 

Or the fx 8350 with OC: 160-170 dollars + an 80 dollar mobo to OC to get better performance than the i5-4460 I am recommending for my cousin.  

What do you guys think?  He states that he has 30+ years in building computers so I would trust him with that background but at the same time I still question his thinking

Any help to answer this confusion will be appreciated.  

he is clearly wrong...

thats not to say that you shouldnt take a grain of salt to some of the shit that is spread around this forum however

He's wrong. The single core performance (What games use) on AMD processors is about half what Intels is. Thus you need to have double to clock speed to get similar performance. That's not going to happen on an $80 board. Just because someone has a lot of experience, doesn't mean their knowledge isn't out of date.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You'd be better off with an i3-6100 and OCing it using BCLK then getting an 8320 for purely gaming

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

If you're building a cheap workstation than an FX-8350 probably is the better cpu. But for gaming it's not even close. The one problem is the $40-$50 LGA 1150 boards are usually H81 or B85, and thus not guaranteed to work with a Haswell Refresh CPU like the i5-4460 without a BIOS update. Considering the Haswell Refresh BIOSes date from June 2014 and later it's pretty doubtful you'd need to do a BIOS update when buying a new H81 or B85 board, but it's still a remote possibility.

Yup, people on this forum are correct. Assuming this PC is for gaming, the single threaded performance gains of the i5 will give you the best performance of any of the options listed. I think he is just fanboying.

I will keep updating this...

I ask in quotation

"Can you elaborate on why the i5-4460 and the board would cost a hundred dollars more than your options with the fx-8320 with that 80 dollar mobo"

Response: "A board with the same features .

It would have to be a Z series board and even then the intel processor would not let you OC the actual processor .

Either way the intel loses for value , and performance"

Why is this so confusing!!!!!!!! Just to build my cousin with a good cpu I get confused the heck out of stuff 

BTW, there is one section of the conversation where his name is crossed out?

what is this users name?

I don't for Confidential purposes, I don't want to ruin his life on tomshardware forums since he was a member for a while but at the same time the fanboyism does look a little too real for me handle :/

I don't for Confidential purposes, I don't want to ruin his life on tomshardware forums since he was a member for a while but at the same time the fanboyism does look a little too real for me handle :/

and? saying dumb shit like that is basically just asking for it

Can you provide a link? I want to see who that AMD fanboy is. Just curious if it's one of the mods. lol

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

and? saying dumb shit like that is basically just asking for it

Oh I guess, I also found it amusing that he also commented on another forum calling everyone an intel fanboy, Outlander is his name but if you look at the forum you will find his full username

For amusement purposes or if you are planning to troll him *don't mention me please, he might somehow kill me*:  http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2792840/amd-8350-intel-4460.html

I just tested the FX-8350. It loses to a modestly overclocked 2nd Gen i5 in every test except rendering which uses all 8 cores at 100%, and even there the AMD only wins by 5%. A stock Skylake/Haswell chip will be about equivalent in performance to that i5, so I would say no, even if you OC to 8350 levels it will still lose to an i5, or at best match it in multi-threaded games. And in single-threaded games even the Haswell chip I tested gets significantly more than double the performance of the FX-8350.

I just tested the FX-8350. It loses to a modestly overclocked 2nd Gen i5 in every test except rendering which uses all 8 cores at 100%, and even there the AMD only wins by 5%. A stock Skylake/Haswell chip will be about equivalent in performance to that i5, so I would say no, even if you OC to 8350 levels it will still lose to an i5, or at best match it in multi-threaded games. And in single-threaded games even the Haswell chip I tested gets significantly more than double the performance of the FX-8350.

May i see stats I mean screenshots? Sorry I just want to make sure my cousin has the best cpu well not best but a good cpu to go with since the i5 4460 served me well

Get the i5. This is no contest.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

It would have to be a Z series board and even then the intel processor would not let you OC the actual processor .

No it wouldn't?

This guy is spouting bullshit. You don't need a Z series board to run the i5, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

ALmost kicking myself for not taking the free FX8350+motherboard when I had the chance-would have been able to do a comparison with an i5 4440, i7 4790K and various older LGA775 CPU+ 2x mobile Phenom II.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL