Is it bad to have an Intel CPU?

I looked around the web and saw that Intel cpus get hotter in temps compared to AMD...Especially the i7's with the stock cooler (feel free to correct me on any of this)

Since I own an intel cpu, my paranoia of it overheating has skyrocketed....My case is an fbm 01 <<<if that matters anyway just in case you guys want an idea of the airflow and my cables are tucked into the empty hard drive bays above my HDD (which doesn't overheat, stays 30-40 degrees celcius)

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

no because they can handle hotter temps far better than AMD CPUs

they just measure temps in different ways, thats all

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Other way around, Intel CPU's are generally cooler. I think....

No. The intel stock cooler is terrible, not the CPU itself

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I looked around the web and saw that Intel cpus get hotter in temps compared to AMD...Especially the i7's with the stock cooler (feel free to correct me on any of this)

Since I own an intel cpu, my paranoia of it overheating has skyrocketed....My case is an fbm 01 <<<if that matters anyway just in case you guys want an idea of the airflow and my cables are tucked into the empty hard drive bays above my HDD (which doesn't overheat, stays 30-40 degrees celcius)

Don't worry Intel cpu's are better than those of AMD.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Tends to be the opposite at a direct price to price comparison.

I7s throw off more heat because they are wayyyy more powerful than AMDs top of the line CPUs. AMD simply doesn't have anything that will compete.

And unless your temperatures are in the 85+ degree range you don't really have anything to worry about. If you're worried, get a different cooler.

Other way around, Intel CPU's are generally cooler. I think....

the run hotter temperature wise, but expel less heat because they use less power.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

AMD will always be the hottest for both CPU'S and GPU's.

Polaris would like to have a word with you.

You mean some uncontested and unproven benchmark they showed on their own booth? Let's just wait for the actual results hmm?

Same can be said to the original comment I was replying to, yes? Zen and Polaris has yet to come out. "will always" was a bold claim. 

You don't need to worry about it overheating. Unless you're overvolting it, it won't damage the CPU. 

You should (in theory) be able to get to 100C on most i7s before it will start thermal throttling. If it does get too hot, the system will shut itself down to prevent any damage. 

Same can be said to the original comment I was replying to, yes? Zen and Polaris has yet to come out. "will always" was a bold claim. 

Well his was refering to the past, yours to the future. Don't think any of them are particularly interesting, but the latter is sketchier to make.

Well his was refering to the past, yours to the future. Don't think any of them are particularly interesting, but the latter is sketchier to make.

"AMD will always be the hottest for both CPU'S and GPU's." 

He is clearly referencing the past, present and future. 

You should (in theory) be able to get to 105C 

No that's when it shuts down :P

Heat is a byproduct of efficiency. When more of a CPU's resources are being used, the hotter it will run. If a CPU is running cool under heavy stress, it means the application is not properly utilizing the resources available to it, thus, it is running cool because it is under used. FX CPU's have a hard time getting all 8 of their cores to be used in gaming, which is why one might believe them to "run cooler" despite their higher TDP's. There is also the issue with AMD's thermal sensors and how they can be inaccurate, but that is a topic for another day.

In short, if your CPU is getting hot while you have good cooling, it only means you are using a very efficiently coded software that is not wasting resources. It's a good thing. If your CPU is running cool under what would normally be considered stressful, check and make sure your cores are actually being used. If not, that is why it is cooler.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

No that's when it shuts down :P

It seems to be about 100C that it starts throttling. 

http://www.techspot.com/article/927-temperature-impact-cpu-performance/

EDIT: Yep, TJ Max (at least, on a 3770K) is 105C. Around which it will start throttling if the system is at high load, or shut down if it's idle/not under load. 

post-21359-0-78464600-1452532096.png

Alright thanks for the answers to my rather Paranoic question and description that unintentionally nearly brought out a flame war  :rolleyes:....

Will allow more answers if needed so not planning to lock this thread so soon

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Care to tell me how its wrong? I am quite curious to see what kind of response you will come up with.

Well shall we take the first five words." Heat is a byproduct of efficiency".

Well no, heat is the transfer of kinetic energy from one medium or object to another. It basically is not connected directly to efficiency

Gas fires can be very efficient yet they produce lots of heat whilst light bulbs are tremendously inefficient yet produce lots of heat, bit of a dichotomy there. . 

I am sure if you actually read the tripe you have spouted, lots of glaring inaccuracies such as more heat is produced as the processor gets more efficient, will become obvious.  Presupposing all else being equal and heat produced is a direct measure of efficiency surely it is obvious as efficincy increases more of the electrical power in will go to 'proccessor tasks' and less into heat production so as efficiency increasd heat production would lessen.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Well shall we take the first five words.  Heat is just energy transfered as work is done. Gas fires can be very efficient yet they produce lots of heat whilst light bulbs are tremendously inefficient yet produce lots of heat, bit of a dichotomy there. . 

I am sure if you actually read the tripe you have spouted, lots of glaring inaccuracies such as more heat is produced as the processor gets more efficient, will become obvious.

You seem to be unable to grasp the meaning of the word "efficient". Efficient has several definitions, the major one being completely applicable to how i described it in my post.

rcMb0Cd.png

"(especially of a system or machine) achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense." Maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort. Using all of your resources, without the rest being wasted in idle states. When more cores/threads are used, more heat is gained. Does the fact that the i7 runs 10C hotter than an equally clocked i5 not justify this thought? Or are you so inept that you prefer to insult people on subjects you fail to understand, using analogies that differ from the subject at hand? 

In computing, Heat is a byproduct of efficiency. This is a fact that cannot be disputed. Your components get hot as they are being used. The more parts of them being used, the hotter it gets. The less parts being used, the cooler it is. Just because something runs cooler, does not mean it is more efficient, as proven in my examples. If something is running hotter, it does not always mean your cooling solution is bad. It can also mean the software you are using is extremely optimized to make use of all resources available to it (Prime95 being my best example). 

Feel free to call me out on it again. I am sure there are more things I can teach you.

AMD will always be the hottest for both CPU'S and GPU's.

*points at Pentium D and GTX 480*

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

@MageTank Oh look you can quote words that are almost the same as the ones under disscusion .

By the way the word you want to quote the definition for is efficiency not efficient

None of that says as efficiency increases heat production goes up.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"