I wonder if Linus will accept the challenge...

tcolecruz

This shouldn't bother you. He's definitely not trying to say that the MacBook is better than the Asus ultrabook. He's just showing that Final Cut Pro is optimized well enough that it is possible to edit 4K video on a small portable laptop, contrary to what Linus concluded in his video. Yes it's a different platform with a different OS and different editing software, but the point is that it's possible.

Not only was it possible, but it was better, on hardware that was indisputably worse (and both of them know it).  Like I said, a little software quality can go a long way :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Not only was it possible, but it was better, on hardware that was indisputably worse (and both of them know it).  Like I said, a little software quality can go a long way :)

I would actually dispute this... PCIE storage on the macbook is better... better overall hardware... maybe the asus.... but i'd bet the storage speed is bottlenecking the asus in this particular test, which might give the macbook the edge (as well as software, see the rest of the discussion). 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

I would actually dispute this... PCIE storage on the macbook is better... better overall hardware... maybe the asus.... but i'd bet the storage speed is bottlenecking the asus in this particular test, which might give the macbook the edge (as well as software, see the rest of the discussion). 

ok the storage may be better on the mac but all the rest of it (GPU, CPU, etc - ie all the things you would expect to make a huge difference in a test like this) are better on the asus

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Incredible engineering. No wonder MKBHD switched from Premiere Pro even after using it for 5 years.

I wonder how my hackintosh would handle FCPX over Premiere Pro even though I have an Nvidia GPU. Then again, Nvidia supports openCL as well so I guess I'm not losing too much.

Funny how my rig with a G3258 obliterates TLDs little comparison (with me using Premiere). When I use the "background render" option kinda like him, then I really kill, and my HDD becomes a bit of a bottleneck.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@LinusTech

@Slick

@nicklmg

At least invite them to the thread ;)

Btw most of the team is in Vegas for CES until Saturday (I think) so don't expect a response this week.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

he admitted to the differences, thats why he issued the challenge. Also, everyone knows that the macbook/software is a package... just like iphones. They are semi-closed systems. the fact taht the macbook is faster than that asus is great at this task!

fwiw, the reason i brought up andriod is that generally android phones have superior processors but because of the efficiencies of iOS and apple's strict development guidelines apple's hardware competes (and often beats) androids in benchmarks 

You don't get the point - different software has different functionalities, and the software he used here is not as capable as what linus used.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You don't get the point - different software has different functionalities, and the software he used here is not as capable as what linus used.

Yeah... FCP is garbage, IMO.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

FCPX may not be as feature rich as premiere but it is a pretty good advanced video editor 

Yeah... FCP is garbage, IMO.

FCPX is a helluva lot more stable than every 15min crashing premiere IMO. Visit Taran's YouTube channel to learn more

FCPX may not be as feature rich as premiere but it is a pretty good advanced video editor 

Again not the point - if you want a fair comparison you must use the same software. Regardless of what you need, there are people who use the extra features that fcp doesn't have.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It just goes to show how impressive Mac products are (both software and hardware). Here we see the Mac in its natural habitat doing more with less.

And before the flame war starts, Id just like to say that, at the bare bones of it, a 4k video was edited by a machine widely regarded as a "glorified social-status Facebook machine"... thats pretty damn impressive considering its form factor and supposed shortfalls.

The point was to see if you can edit 4k on a small form factor notebook.

Given the task of cutting down a tree, you an use a hand saw, a hatchet, an axe, a chainsaw.... either way, the goal is to cut down the tree (edit 4k video)
it just so happens that the apple product is the chainsaw in this analogy.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Shows what better written software can do.  This is (one of the reasons) why a lot of people who do video and audio work use macs... and in case you've missed it I'll give you a hint: it's not because of the hardware :)

Jesus Christ thank you

I started accepting the fact that this forum was full of elitist nerds 

Jesus Christ thank you

I started accepting the fact that this forum was full of elitist nerds 

I like to call them "PCMasterFanBoyz"  :D

some of us don't do hardcore gaming; we do other things that are easier/faster/nicer on a Mac

ESXi SysAdmin

The point was to see if you can edit 4k on a small form factor notebook. 

Given the task of cutting down a tree, you an use a hand saw, a hatchet, an axe, a chainsaw.... either way, the goal is to cut down the tree (edit 4k video)

it just so happens that the apple product is the chainsaw in this analogy.

It's more like the droplet of water that will cut through stone, but will take a million years to do it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Again not the point - if you want a fair comparison you must use the same software. Regardless of what you need, there are people who use the extra features that fcp doesn't have.

What matters is the end result. And really doubt that premieres extra features are worth the kind of trouble it causes. Again FCPX is by no means a basic editor, so the comparison is fair especially considering how much underpowered the MacBook is. It just shows how a simple software optimisation can achieve and I applaud Apple for it even though they're slowly phasing out FCP

Why is it invalid to compare two different video editing workflows ?

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

The point of Linus's video was to see if it could render video using the workflow that HIS team uses. Of course he could have used a different workflow, different programs, and different codecs to optimize it and get the rendering as fast as it could be, but that wasn't his point. If the videos intent is to show Linus that his macbook pro can do it faster despite being significantly less underpowered he should be using the same workflow, OS, and editing programs to keep any unwanted variables from affecting the times.

If the videos point is to say "look, my workflow and choice of OS and programs is faster than yours on lower powered machines" then okay? So what?

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Inb4 Linus won't accept it becasue he doesn't take shit fron TLD or anyone.

Linus: 36 core renering server + 24 GB SSD based storage server + 5 x 6 core workstations + 10 Gbit network

vs

TLD: Highest end Mac Pro

Challenge accepted!

Besides, he already won.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

If the videos point is to say "look, my workflow and choice of OS and programs is faster than yours on lower powered machines" then okay? So what?

Because most people don't know why people choose to use apple products, especially on this forum.

What matters is the end result. And really doubt that premieres extra features are worth the kind of trouble it causes. Again FCPX is by no means a basic editor, so the comparison is fair especially considering how much underpowered the MacBook is. It just shows how a simple software optimisation can achieve and I applaud Apple for it even though they're slowly phasing out FCP

There is plenty of editing software for windows that will run better than premiere on slow hardware... and that offers enough features for most people. Either they use the same program, or any comparison is unfair. He can say it's possible to edit on a macbook, what he can't say is that it's comparable or better than what linux tested.

Why is it invalid to compare two different video editing workflows ?

Because any test needs to use the same conditions to make any sense... and they weren't testing the software, they were testing the hardware.

Because most people don't know why people choose to use apple products, especially on this forum.

...you choose apple products because fina cut pro runs on worse hardware than premiere? wut?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I use FCP and Macs in school nearly every day so I completely understand, but what point I am making is if the video was created with the intention to show Linus how much faster OSX is he needs to be using the same workflow and program as Linus. If he is just showing why his workflow works great on OSX and FCP then great, people wanting to know if Macs can video edit will like the video, but I don't see how it relates to Linus because Linus isn't going to give a crap about that workflow when he already has his workflow set up

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

There is plenty of editing software for windows that will run better than premiere on slow hardware... and that offers enough features for most people. Either they use the same program, or any comparison is unfair. He can say it's possible to edit on a macbook, what he can't say is that it's comparable or better than what linux tested.

Because any test needs to use the same conditions to make any sense... and they weren't testing the software, they were testing the hardware.

Plenty of programs, yes. Doesn't anything come close to both these high end widely used software. NO. This isn't like GPU testing where you need as much apples to apples comparison but tests where only the end result matter. In the end what TLD achieved was an edited 4K video without much hiccups on an underpowered beautiful machine as opposed to what Linus achieved after considerable extra steps on a much powerful hardware comparable to rMPB which in the same test would've obliterated the asus thereby debunking Linus's entire video about 4K video editing on a thin laptop

I'm glad that this video happened as it gives a whole new look into how much Apple does 

...you choose apple products because fina cut pro runs on worse hardware than premiere? wut?

He meant the FCPX is much more stable and optimized than Premiere 

It's more like the droplet of water that will cut through stone, but will take a million years to do it.

clearly you didn't watch the video........ it did it...faster....

ESXi SysAdmin