I wonder if Linus will accept the challenge...

tcolecruz

So... TLD today posted this and it kind of bothers me. But watch it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

So... TLD today posted this and it kind of bothers me. But watch it.

why does it bother you?

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

riiiiiiiiiight that's not a software issue at all? because it's not like the new macbook is a throttled piece of sit that shouldn't be in the same room as the MBP?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

why does it bother you?

Because he tries to make a comparison to prove linus wrong, but uses different software and hardware. It wouldn't bother me if he had run windows and premiere on the mac book.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

EDIT: Read post above...
Why does this video bother you?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

How does a video bother someone?

see post above

EDIT: Never mind :)

Because he tries to make a comparison to prove linus wrong, but uses different software and hardware. It wouldn't bother me if he had run windows and premiere on the mac book.

he admitted to the differences, thats why he issued the challenge. Also, everyone knows that the macbook/software is a package... just like iphones. They are semi-closed systems. the fact taht the macbook is faster than that asus is great at this task!

fwiw, the reason i brought up andriod is that generally android phones have superior processors but because of the efficiencies of iOS and apple's strict development guidelines apple's hardware competes (and often beats) androids in benchmarks 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

he admitted to the differences, thats why he issued the challenge. Also, everyone knows that the macbook/software is a package... just like iphones. They are semi-closed systems. the fact taht the macbook is faster than that asus is great at this task!

fwiw, the reason i brought up andriod is that generally android phones have superior processors but because of the efficiencies of iOS and apple's strict development guidelines apple's hardware competes (and often beats) androids in benchmarks 

Point taken. I didn't really consider that.

Point taken. I didn't really consider that.

I think a 1200 dollar ultrabook vs the macbook (normal) would be a better comparison. My feeling is the macbook has some advantages against these notebooks because of its pci-e ssds, which are standard on all apple laptops now.  i'm not sure if that has trickled to the windows laptops yet. 

Shows what better written software can do.  This is (one of the reasons) why a lot of people who do video and audio work use macs... and in case you've missed it I'll give you a hint: it's not because of the hardware :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think a 1200 dollar ultrabook vs the macbook (normal) would be a better comparison. My feeling is the macbook has some advantages against these notebooks because of its pci-e ssds, which are standard on all apple laptops now.  i'm not sure if that has trickled to the windows laptops yet. 

This would make a large difference, so if you had a PCIe based ultra-book vs the Macbook that would be a better comparison.

This would make a large difference, so if you had a PCIe based ultra-book vs the Macbook that would be a better comparison.

can you find a pcie ultrabook ? How much are they? They don't really advertise.  On my current macbook pro im getting 1300/1300 write/reads on the standard black magic disk test. 

the bitrate at which the footage was shot at on TLD's Sony FS7 would make a huge difference, for all we know he could hav had it set at a smaller Bitrate than what was used on the FS700 by Linus and the crew.

can you find a pcie ultrabook ? How much are they? They don't really advertise.  On my current macbook pro im getting 1300/1300 write/reads on the standard black magic disk test. 

You are right there arn't many on the market, but I did find that the Sony Vaio Pro 13 has an M.2 PCIe based SSD model.

can you find a pcie ultrabook ? How much are they? They don't really advertise. On my current macbook pro im getting 1300/1300 write/reads on the standard black magic disk test.

Also I believe, Don't Quote me on this, that the Razor blade 2014 has one as well.

EDIT: The XPS 13 has a PCIe SSD.

The HP ZBook Series of laptops have PCIe SSD's but I think they are not really an ultra-book.

daaym hope i would see an update to this because as far as i could see linus, jon and couple of others just got burned

Also I believe, Don't Quote me on this, that the Razor blade 2014 has one as well.

EDIT: The XPS 13 has a PCIe SSD.

They do not, although:

Razer Blade:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8971/the-2015-razer-blade-review

One other minor change that is worth mentioning here is that the Samsung PM851 SSD has been replaced with the LiteOn L9G, but those hoping for a PCI-E based SSD in the Razer Blade for this year will be disappointed. This is still a SATA based model in M.2 form factor.

Dell XPS 13

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-13-2015-512gb-pci-e-or-not.775929/

"This is incorrect. While the drive that ships uses the M.2 connector it is a SATA3 drive. There are reports that it will also support true PCI-E as all the pins are there on the M.2 connector. In the main thread there is a user who got a previous generation Samsung PCI-E working and I saw another one that said that via a BIOS update the new version is also working."

unless these are older models. Also looking at the pricing... the dell xps 13 is similarly priced as the macbook and the razer blade is waaaay more expensive, but I think a different kind of computer. I actually think the dell xps 13 is made to compete with the 13 rMBP, and the 14 is made to compete with the 15 rMBP. 

It's not doubt that there are many things the macbook 2015 cannot do as well as these computers, but it's clear that apple has a different and effective design philosophy that the "apple haters" don't seem to be objective about. I'm not calling you a hater btw, I'm just kinda pre-empting the comments.  There are a lot of problems with the macbook, I really wanted to buy oen but decided on the top end 15 inch macbook pro (highest end processor, 1 TB ssd) because obviously the macbook is not very powerful. It is still a very capable machine though, and has great battery life (including the ability to be charged off a battery bank). 

They do not, although:

Razer Blade:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8971/the-2015-razer-blade-review

One other minor change that is worth mentioning here is that the Samsung PM851 SSD has been replaced with the LiteOn L9G, but those hoping for a PCI-E based SSD in the Razer Blade for this year will be disappointed. This is still a SATA based model in M.2 form factor.

Dell XPS 13

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-13-2015-512gb-pci-e-or-not.775929/

"This is incorrect. While the drive that ships uses the M.2 connector it is a SATA3 drive. There are reports that it will also support true PCI-E as all the pins are there on the M.2 connector. In the main thread there is a user who got a previous generation Samsung PCI-E working and I saw another one that said that via a BIOS update the new version is also working."

unless these are older models. Also looking at the pricing... the dell xps 13 is similarly priced as the macbook and the razer blade is waaaay more expensive, but I think a different kind of computer. I actually think the dell xps 13 is made to compete with the 13 rMBP, and the 14 is made to compete with the 15 rMBP. 

It's not doubt that there are many things the macbook 2015 cannot do as well as these computers, but it's clear that apple has a different and effective design philosophy that the "apple haters" don't seem to be objective about. I'm not calling you a hater btw, I'm just kinda pre-empting the comments.  There are a lot of problems with the macbook, I really wanted to buy oen but decided on the top end 15 inch macbook pro (highest end processor, 1 TB ssd) because obviously the macbook is not very powerful. It is still a very capable machine though, and has great battery life (including the ability to be charged off a battery bank).

Just realised that you are right, was looking at the product page on JB hifi (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/dell/dell-y510995au-xps-13-touchscreen-laptop/720890/) and says PCIe but as you said it is using the M.2 connector but a Sata 3 drive.

I would say its a fair comparison. Its the end result that matters (in this case). I'm pretty stoked to see how linus is going to respond

I think the video bothering you means you're going about it the wrong way.

This is just showing that while the macbook might be a cheap-shot at apple (at $1200), it can stand it's ground in the workload. It's unfair to run Premiere on Windows off the macbook because then you're falling into the "if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree" fallacy. This just shows how well Apple engineers it's OS and Applications.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I am pretty sure TLD just wants to collab with Linus and I think its a fun way to do so. I am 99% sure that TLD knows that he isn't comparing on a fair Level but maybe its just fun

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I am pretty sure TLD just wants to collab with Linus and I think its a fun way to do so. I am 99% sure that TLD knows that he isn't comparing on a fair Level but maybe its just fun

How is it not fair?  The task was editing 4k video: both of them did it.  The machine had to be an ultrabook-style, thin laptop: both were.  The fact both used different hardware and software is just two different ways to accomplish the same task.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This shouldn't bother you. He's definitely not trying to say that the MacBook is better than the Asus ultrabook. He's just showing that Final Cut Pro is optimized well enough that it is possible to edit 4K video on a small portable laptop, contrary to what Linus concluded in his video. Yes it's a different platform with a different OS and different editing software, but the point is that it's possible.