I wonder if Linus will accept the challenge...

tcolecruz

fuck you

I will take that ftw!

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

So... TLD today posted this and it kind of bothers me. But watch it.

<snip>

Adobe Premier and Final Cut Pro are different programs.

It is common knowledge that Adobe's software is hardware heavy in comparison.

If anyone has paid attention to Linus in the past he makes certain underhanded comments about using Adobe Premier but has never really revealed why he uses it.

In the past Apple was the dominant in the Music and Video industry for a reason, we all know this. Linus is a PC guy so the relevant reason to use Premier is because of what he does with PC Tech not Apple Tech so it goes to show why. The challenge is not really relevant as we all know that Apple video editing will win over a PC in terms of speed. But there is a reason Linus uses Premier so if he does accept the challenge I am sure he will explain why and how the difference does not compare fairly.

Besides; If you want Linus to respond to this you may want to add this to your post;

@LinusTech

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As I've said (not to you, just in general and to those saying it was unfair) the point of the video was not to do a scientific "1 variable" comparison between these two setups, but to see if an ultrabook-style laptop could edit 4k footage, and it has been shown twice now (in different ways) that the answer is "yes".  Despite that, I agree with you here; I would like to see, purely for curiosities sake, a more controlled comparison: the macbook running the software shown, and the asus laptop running adobe software, but with everything else standardized (same input file, same storage medium (external HDD or something)), etc. etc. that way we get a true comparison of one setup vs the other.  I don't think we need to force them to use the same software since we already know the macbook has worse hardware; that's no secret.

Agreed, using the same software isnt the point at all.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

It may be stated by a lot of people, but here's my two cents regarding this:

At first, I was like "WTF TLD?" but after a few re-watches of this video, I came to this conclusion: It's a matter of which software is used.

Let's admit it: Premiere is a shit piece of program, on both Windows and Mac. But that may be the reason why its a shit piece of a program, its written for BOTH Operating Systems. There's bound to be errors on the Windows side, which will not be present on OSX side, and vice versa. FCPX, on the other hand, is only written for OSX AND OSX ALONE. Meaning it will have better compatibility since the code they use on the program is proprietary on the MAC.

Hardware-wise, the ASUS Ultrabook would beat the shit out of the MacBook, but the better compatibility of software on that OS makes it on par with the Ultrabook and other Ultrabooks alike.

Have the MacBook go through its paces with Premiere Pro, the result will probably be similar to the results that Linus had on the Ultrabook, but pop in Hackintosh to the ASUS Ultrabook, would they achieve similar results to Jon's? Probably.

Let's admit it: Premiere is a shit piece of program, on both Windows and Mac. But that may be the reason why its a shit piece of a program, its written for BOTH Operating Systems. 

Ever noticed that little copyright on the splash screen when you start it?  1991 - <insert year of latest version here>

I wonder if that might also be an issue.  A lot of software that is descended from very long ago is so set in its ways it can be hard to fully clean it up.  OS X itself is a perfect example.  Does anyone remember the original Mac OS?  It was as bad as Windows 98 for random program crashes and the like.  At least Apple had the guts to admit it was crap and start over from scratch* with OS X.

* OK not really from a blank slate, they took UNIX as a baseline, but still

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Apple is a hardware company. They want to make huge profits off hardware. They count of program optimization to make their hardware perform as best as they can so they can make huge profits from their hardware. This is the reason why so many people like apple software. To be honest, this is why people like nexus phones os much too! Google designs android operating system to be on the nexus. Google doesn't try and profit as much off them, they have different goals, but the result of the product is the same: very good! 

Most windows computers are akin to 3rd party android phones. Some of them are very good, but they are very good because throw very powerful hardware to make up for a nonoptimal software experience. This is great because it is flexible, but it is undoubtedly less efficient. This is why it doesnt make sense to buy a macbook pro and bootcamp it all the time. People do that, but if your going to do that, you might as well buy a 1500 dollar windows laptop.There will be some battery life differences, ect, so there are still some reasons to get the macbook pro and run windows, but the real value of a mac is that the software is designed to work with the hardware. 

In very high end software, and video production software isn't what i consider high end, I have software on my lab's computer that costs ~10k a month to license, software engineers give you a specific version of the software for your hardware.  It's not perfect, but it's similar to apples approach. People paying that much for computers and software want optimization. 

And yes, that means your gaming computer with an i7 and dual 980s is terribly inefficient. Powerful, but also inefficient. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

I think a 1200 dollar ultrabook vs the macbook (normal) would be a better comparison. My feeling is the macbook has some advantages against these notebooks because of its pci-e ssds, which are standard on all apple laptops now.  i'm not sure if that has trickled to the windows laptops yet. 

I agreeeeeee

Case: Fractal Design Define R4   CPU: 4790K OVCK 4.7  CPU COOLER: H100iGTX (NOCTUA FANS) RAM: COSAIR VENGEANCE PRO (2x8) MOBO: GIGABYTE UD5H z97x  PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 WATT 80+ GOLD GRAPHICS CARD: GIGABYTE G1. GAMING WINDFORCE 970 4GB BOOT SSD: Crucial m550 M.2 256 GB HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB  2nd SSD:SAMGSUNG 500 GB 850 EVO