I wonder if Linus will accept the challenge...

tcolecruz

Doesn't anything come close to both these high end widely used software. NO.

Let me stop you right there, because fcp can't touch premiere with a 20m stick. And as for the alternatives, blender is a program that actually CAN touch premiere if you know how to use it. But it wouldn't make sense to use that for the comparison because IT'S NOT WHAT THEY USE

clearly you didn't watch the video........ it did it...faster....

It did a different thing. If you compare a sledgehammer to a drop of water and use the sledgehammer on rock and the drop on paper guess who'll win?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because any test needs to use the same conditions to make any sense... and they weren't testing the software, they were testing the hardware.

He was testing a software/hardware package. He is very clear about that. I think the argument that he wasn't using the same files as Linus is a good one, but you aren't making that argument. 

Package A: Macbook with FCP

Package B: Asus with premiere  

Which does a specific task faster? That's a pretty fair test, and its only bonus points that the Asus and Macbook are comparable products, in terms of form. You can test anything you want, but If you are trying to suggest what he is doing isn't valid, you are wrong. He is just showing proof of concept... and he issued the challenge to linus so that they could do something more scientific. 

...you choose apple products because fina cut pro runs on worse hardware than premiere? wut?

Because some of its workflows make a lot of sense, unbenounced to the "gamer" community here. As you can see, this really isn't a tech community, but gamers who like tech. Most people use most of their time playing games on their computer, I haven't booted a game on my computer in over a year. And this particular computer, I havent loaded a single game on it. 

I use FCP and Macs in school nearly every day so I completely understand, but what point I am making is if the video was created with the intention to show Linus how much faster OSX is he needs to be using the same workflow and program as Linus. If he is just showing why his workflow works great on OSX and FCP then great, people wanting to know if Macs can video edit will like the video, but I don't see how it relates to Linus because Linus isn't going to give a crap about that workflow when he already has his workflow set up

He wants to do a more scientific test, thats the point of the challenge. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

He was testing a software/hardware package. He is very clear about that. I think the argument that he wasn't using the same files as Linus is a good one, but you aren't making that argument. 

Nobody cares about the "package", it's not like premiere comes with windows or that it's not available on mac os. There are no grounds for comparison, period.

A "scientific" test would try to remove as many variables as possible, not the case here.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

He wants to do a more scientific test, thats the point of the challenge. 

Okay if he wants to be more scientific about it fine, then bootcamp the mac and run premier on it. I can already tell you who will win that one. There isn't much of a challenge, either he uses Linus's workflow and gets demolished or Linus uses his workflow and gets demolished, its all about tailoring your workflow to the programs and OS you use. It would be incredibly stupid for Linus to use OSX and then run Premier but then use codecs and formats that work well on Windows, it would run terrible and would be inefficient.

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

...you choose apple products because fina cut pro runs on worse hardware than premiere? wut?

We chose Apple because we want devices that have great software that gets updated/upgraded for free with longer device longevity while still packing a powerful punch in a portable format.
For all that OS X doesn't have a lot of games, we also have ALOT of proprietary software that runs better, is cheaper, and is often easier to use than the windows equivalent attempt.

It did a different thing. If you compare a sledgehammer to a drop of water and use the sledgehammer on rock and the drop on paper guess who'll win?

that wasn't the point of the video. if you paid attention, you'd find that the point was "4k editing on an ultrabook/small form factor laptop". not "WHO CAN DO IT FASTER"

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Intel should send 4xE7-8890 v3

and Supermicro should send X10QRH

4 ? Are you kidding ?

They should send 8 !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Let me stop you right there, because fcp can't touch premiere with a 20m stick. And as for the alternatives, blender is a program that actually CAN touch premiere if you know how to use it. But it wouldn't make sense to use that for the comparison because IT'S NOT WHAT THEY USE

Even that would be a fair test. As far as you're second statement goes i know nothing about blender but i do know that FCPX is a very capable program so you cant go on making claims. In the end they both achieve the same thing and obvious question is which is faster and more efficient. These aren't GPUs we're comparing

Othen bootcamp the mac and run premier on it. 

Most people who video edit will buy a mac and use FCP. No one is saying go out and buy a mac and run bootcamp + premiere. You can change the scope of your test depending on what variables you keep constant/change. Apple doesn't even want you to run bootcamp: it was a surprising appeal to mac power users that wanted to use a few programs on windows. People buy macs for OSX.

lol people are greatly misinterpreting the scientific process, which can test anything, as long as you couch your variables appropriately. Package A vs Package B lets you test to see which package is better. He isn't making the claim that OSX is better than Windows, or FCP is better than premiere, or the Macbook is better than Asus: He is making the argument that the macbook edits 4k video on FCP better than the asus does on premiere. That isn't an invalid argument at all, with the exception that they didn't use the same files. They should use the same files.

and fwiw, before you guys try to "explain" to people what a valid test is, perhaps you should do some reading on the scientific process. This is my 8th year of doing scientific research, it has a much broader scope than most of you seem to think.  

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Apple 10% market share, 50% market profits.. nuff said

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

Hah. All Linus needs to do is put together the world's most OP Hackintosh build and that would be the end of the matter.

FCPX may not be as feature rich as premiere but it is a pretty good advanced video editor 

FCPX is a helluva lot more stable than every 15min crashing premiere IMO. Visit Taran's YouTube channel to learn more

For me it's the other way around. Premiere is stable AF now that I reinstalled it (I managed to corrupt a file before). 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Your face when you realize a 12" fanless "Crapple" smashes your 980+i7 with video editing.

Get rekt bandwagon apple haters.

tumblr_lwuis4jQbt1qi0tzv.jpg

Hah. All Linus needs to do is put together the world's most OP Hackintosh build and that would be the end of the matter.

He can't actually do this because of licensing/etc. It's actually illegal to make a hackintosh so he would never be able to publish without apple approving (not gonna happen).
Although, being a UNIX based OS, linus could potentially make an incredibly optimized UNIX OS that would be an absolute killer also!

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Intel should send 4xE7-8890 v3
and Supermicro should send X10QRH

Sadly, this wouldent work. The X10QRH only supports the E5 Xeon family, not the E7, and processors up to 135W TPD, the E7-8890 has a TPD of 165W. He would have to use the E5-4669v3s which have 18 cores and a 135W TPD,

Your face when you realize a 12" fanless "Crapple" smashes your 980+i7 with video editing.
Get rekt bandwagon apple haters.

He can't actually do this because of licensing/etc. It's actually illegal to make a hackintosh so he would never be able to publish without apple approving (not gonna happen).
Although, being a UNIX based OS, linus could potentially make an incredibly optimized UNIX OS that would be an absolute killer also!

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I stand corrected :lol:

Although compatibility sucks so getting through all the kernel panics on the new build and installing the right drivers would be next to impossible :P

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Again not the point - if you want a fair comparison you must use the same software. Regardless of what you need, there are people who use the extra features that fcp doesn't have.

You don't get the point that this video is not about the macbook performing better. It has worse specs, a lot worse specs. The point is to have an ultrabook render 4k video. Apple makes it possible with a lot better optimized software. This is also not for someone who edits hollywood movies who needs every single function of premier. For what Linus does, fcp may be more than sufficient and he wanted an ultrabook which can edit 4k smoothly - Apple delivers

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

You don't get the point that this video is not about the macbook performing better. It has worse specs, a lot worse specs. The point is to have an ultrabook render 4k video. Apple makes it possible with a lot better optimized software. This is also not for someone who edits hollywood movies who needs every single function of premier. For what Linus does, fcp may be more than sufficient and he wanted an ultrabook which can edit 4k smoothly - Apple delivers

It's so sufficient that they have a dedicated 36 core server because their 12 core workstations aren't fast enough for their needs. If they could have used something more efficient they would have.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's so sufficient that they have a dedicated 36 core server because their 12 core workstations aren't fast enough for their needs. If they could have used something more efficient they would have.

I seriously doubt they need a 36 core rendering server. Didn't Linus himself say they didn't need it but it's nice to have at some point?

To be honest my PC would probably be enough for what they do, if they just let the video render over night. (Provided every editor of them has one of my pc's) 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Some thoughts on the videos:

Are they using the same formats? My understanding is that Linus' footage could not be decoded in hardware before they transcoded it. It seems like TLD's could.

Another difference I noticed was that Linus was scrubbing backwards in his video while TLD was always going forward, and in very short increments. This makes a huge difference because for Linus the player had to render a new key frame and then seek from there, while TLD's video player could just keep on using the same key frame. You can see pretty big lag spike when he skips forwards and it has to seek a new key frame. The playback looked far smoother though, which is why I think it was hardware accelerated (and Linus' wasn't in the beginning).

Oh, and both of them are using hardware accelerated export. Might be fine for YouTube videos, but I would not want to use those files for archival purposes.

The entire video might as well be QuickSync vs NVENC, and it seems like Intel wins hands down... But I am sure the Apple fanboys will say it's because OS X was created by wizards and their Apple computers runs on magic.

Switch to CPU encoding and both laptops would catch fire before the export was done...

Because he tries to make a comparison to prove linus wrong, but uses different software and hardware. It wouldn't bother me if he had run windows and premiere on the mac book.

he is trying to prove a better way............

@LinusTech needs to see this.

I believe he does not have notifications turned on so tagging him won't help

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would say its a fair comparison. Its the end result that matters (in this case). I'm pretty stoked to see how linus is going to respond

yea I'm excited to hear how he reponds as well.

Again not the point - if you want a fair comparison you must use the same software. Regardless of what you need, there are people who use the extra features that fcp doesn't have.

Exactly what I've been saying :-/ It's like comparing a cheapo windowls laptop with movie maker to fcpx on a macbook pro. You cant change two things and make a conclusion, you have to change one.

Apple 10% market share, 50% market profits.. nuff said

fuck you

Oh lol I didn't know you could video edit in blender. Thought that it was just for 3d Modeling xD
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this.