Intel ‘K’ Series SSD lineup coming soon!

M-ursu

Intel Previews SSD Overclocking Performance at PAX Prime

Intel is going to announce and discuss details regarding their new Bay Trail Atom Z3000 series and Ivy Bridge-E HEDT platform at IDF13 San Francisco. Aside from these, Intel is also going to discuss their new developments for PC enthusiasts which includes topics like SSD Overclocking which we just came to know a few weeks back.

post-2255-0-46808900-1378023335.jpg
Intel Previews SSD Overclocking Performance at PAX Prime

We know that the SSD Overclocking would be possible not only on Ivy Bridge-E but all other desktop platforms from Intel through their Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) which has become a necessary tool for PC enthusiasts and overclockers. At PAX Prime, Intel was showcasing their new SSD Overclocking tool and thanks to Legitreviews, we have more details regarding the configuration and performance of SSD overclocking.

The SSD previewed for overclocking at PAX Prime had the SSDSC2BB480G4 : BTWL3070050Z480QGN part number which corresponds to the high-end enterprise Intel SSD DC S3500 Series 480GB w/ 20nm MLC NAND Flash with some custom modifications by Intel. The drive capacity won’t be restricted to 480 GB as Legitreviews mentions that Intel is possibly preparing a new set of ‘K’ series SSDs which would be available in various capacity. The ‘K’ branding is known commonly for Intel’s Core series processors featuring an unlocked processor offering overclocking support.
There are several options and configurations which are going to be available with the updated Intel XTU allowing users to manually overclock their SSDs for faster speeds. Users would be able to adjust the frequency of the SSD controller in MHz and would also be able to set the power modes of the SSD ranging from ‘limited’, ‘typical’ or ‘unconstrained’. Last of all there would be a option to set the bus frequency of the NAND Flash memory to 83 MHz or 100 MHz. The description of each feature that would be released with the Intel XTU SSD overclocking tool are listed below:
-Controller Frequency - ‘Sets the frequency of the specified Intel SSDs on-drive micro-controller’

-Power Mode - ’Sets the power limits for the specified Intel SSD’ (Limited/Typical/Unconstrained)
-NAND Frequency - ‘Sets the NAND bus frequency for the specified Intel SSD’

The Intel XTU which would exclusively feature support for SSD overclocking currently comes with two options. One is to adjust NAND frequency from its default 83 MHz to 100 MHz frequency while the other options allows adjusting the controller frequency from the default 400 MHz to 625 MHz.

SSD at Default Settings (83 MHz/ 400 MHz):
post-2255-0-57424200-1378024313.jpg
SSD at OC Settings (83 MHz/ 625 MHz):
post-2255-0-58916400-1378024315.jpg
As you can note, the overall performance and speed have definitely gone up by a good gain but at the end of the day, its upto consumers or should i say the enthusiasts to decide what they care about the most? Intel also asked users at the PAX Prime to take a little survey which asked them if they prefer SSD Life, Data protection or SSD speed. For overclockers, i personally don’t think data matters most and it would become a hobby for overclockers to overclock SSDs as CPU and GPU overclocking. The more options for users, the better but it remains to be seen what kind of price would Intel want for their new SSDs.
Intel k series might be coming sooner than expected!
Anticipating it will make a big splash, Intel is planning to release an product late this year or very early next that will allow users to overclock solid-state drives. The overclocking capability is expected to allow users to tweak the percentage of an SSD's capacity that's used for data compression. At its Intel Developers Forum next month in San Francisco, Intel has scheduled an information session on overclocking SSDs. The IDF session is aimed at system manufacturers and developers as well as do-it-yourself enthusiasts, such as gamers. Interesting, but we will have to see how much performance and capacity it have over existing solutions

Source:

http://wccftech.com/intel-previews-ssd-overclocking-performance-pax-prime-k-series-ssd-lineup-works/

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-shows-pax-attendees-ssd-overclocking_122557

start the SSD overclocking debate shitstorm!!

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

SSD waterblocks here we come.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Absolutely pointless, marketing crap. You can hardly tell the difference between 400-500mb/s let alone 480-500mb/s.

Edit - AND you decrease stability doing it. This is an absolute joke. Some of the gains are less than 1%!

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Remember ocing storage is risky but running 8 ssds in raid 0 is just fine :P

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Absolutely pointless, marketing crap. You can hardly tell the difference between 400-500mb/s let alone 480-500mb/s.

Depends on the file sizes. I doubt someone could tell the difference between 9gb/s (ramdisk or a ton of SSD's in RAID 0) and 500mb if they just have firefox as the test program.

As for overclocking storage I agree with Linus. It shouldn't exist. If this becomes a thing; I wouldn't be surprized if manufactures underclocked SSD's since that would make overclocking them worth it...

Depends on the file sizes. I doubt someone could tell the difference between 9gb/s (ramdisk or a ton of SSD's in RAID 0) and 500mb if they just have firefox as the test program.

As for overclocking storage I agree with Linus. It shouldn't exist. If this becomes a thing; I wouldn't be surprized if manufactures underclocked SSD's since that would make overclocking them worth it...

It's marketing bullshit. This seems like a desperate move which is very surprising for Intel, surely they aren't as far back in the SSD market as to think they need to come up with this crap to get sales. Just make a better product! That's how you get sales. This is an AMD-style move, like those silly FX9590 CPU's...

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

If this becomes a thing; I wouldn't be surprized if manufactures underclocked SSD's since that would make overclocking them worth it...

vader_NOOOO.jpg

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I can see the use of these 'K' series SSDs however for what you get, I don't see if it's that useful as of yet. To me, SSDs are already as fast as it gets even with them being bottlenecked by the SATA 3 interface. To be fair, I am coming from a laptop 5400RPM drive so yeah. I would much rather see Intel making PCIe SSDs that you can boot from because that would be way to awesome

I see the value for content creators who use an SSD as a scratch disk for editing video and such.  A few extra MB/s could measurably save some time in the long run.

But it's certainly not a good idea to overclock an SSD that you're actually storing an OS or data on for any significant period of time.  Especially since it won't affect every day performance at all; I assume random read/write speeds won't budge.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Don't think that little performance boost is worth the instability that comes with overclocking it.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I think I'll stick to the idea of leaving your storage alone, since I actually like having my data.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Edit - AND you decrease stability doing it. This is an absolute joke. Some of the gains are less that 1%!

Hmm it reminds me of something...

Oh, I KNOW!!!

Absolutely pointless, marketing crap. You can hardly tell the difference between 3400-4800MHz let alone 3,800-44000MHz.

Edit - AND you decrease stability doing it. This is an absolute joke. Some of the gains are less that few %!

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

"Lets overclock an SSD awesome! Lets set this to max and this too :rolleyes: " 3 minutes later a €350 SSD is gone in smoke, really  :(

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

If overclocking could make it go at least 25% faster, maybe..

But with that kind of crap performance gains, who the hell would do it? You're risking your hardware for meager performance increments

I would never use it on a PC I'd use day to day, but why not have the option? I'm definitely curious how far the IOPS can be boosted.

If I would spring the cash for say an Intel 520 series SSD it would be for data integrity and long device life. I'll leave the overclocking to the benchers.

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

if you saturate the SATA 3 bus then there is no point in OCing ssd, now with PCI then maybe but really it just lets you swing your E-dick around a bit better that normal seeing as the performance gains are not really that amazing

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

how many mad people are going to try this...i know i am  :)