Skylake i5 vs Haswell i7

Go to solution Solved by MageTank,

Most games support HT and those that don't are why we mod.

Not exactly true. MMO's and MOBA's are games too. Almost every single one of them do not scale beyond 2 cores, because they are designed to be playable by the lowest common denominator of computer hardware. Their products reach more people, means more potential sales in their stores, means more money. The genre is holding us back as a whole, if you ask me.

To say "most games support HT" just is not true. In fact, i would say out of every single game available on PC, less than 10% actually show a performance boost when using HT. The most noticeable advantage when using HT, is from games that require 4 threads to run properly. An i3 will play the game, while a G3258 will struggle, or even fail to launch the game. 

Some games are on the opposite spectrum. They flat out lose performance with HT enabled. Final Fantasy XIII is a great example of this. Many forums and steam posts dedicated to that problem, but the easiest solution seems to be to turn HT off. 

In short, HT is great, but it's not magic. In games that can actually use it, an i7 over an i5 will only yield about 10% more FPS. Games that do not use it, will see absolutely no difference when comparing similarly clocked i5's and i7's.

As for OP's decision, the 6600k will match the 4790k's performance in gaming, but it will not match the raw lifting power of an i7 in compute and rendering. Since both are the same price, I would suggest the 4790k. 

Hey guys, I have just about $500 to upgrade my cpu. I'm on an AMD fm2 platform looking to upgrade to an intel cpu. I started looking at my options with my budget in mind and saw that an i5 6600k + 16GB DDR4 would be more expensive than an i7 4790K. What should I get?

Option #1:

CPU: i5-6600k - $280

Cooler: Hyper 212 - $30

MOBO: ASRock Z170 Pro4S - $80

Memory: G.Skill NT 16GB DDR4 2133Hz - $80

Total via Newegg + shipping = $469

Option # 2

CPU: i7-4970k - $340

Cooler: Hyper 212- $30 (Might just use stock)

MOBO: MSI z97 - $94

Memory: old 12 GB of ddr3 1600Hz - Priceless

Total via Newegg + shipping = $469 ($430 with stock cooler) 

What I use my pc for: Multitasking (Mainly Twitch/youtube while playing a game), gaming, lite video editing. 

What I want: To not have to upgrade for 3-4 years and I plan to get an Oculus rift in April.

The Haswell i7 will get you better performance in most if not all cases.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

Hey guys, I have just about $500 to upgrade my cpu. I'm on an AMD fm2 platform looking to upgrade to an intel cpu. I started looking at my options with my budget in mind and saw that an i5 6600k + 16GB DDR4 would be more expensive than an i7 4790K. What should I get?

Option #1:

CPU: i5-6600k - $280

Cooler: Hyper 212 - $30

MOBO: ASRock Z170 Pro4S - $80

Memory: G.Skill NT 16GB DDR4 2133Hz - $80

Total via Newegg + shipping = $469

Option # 2

CPU: i7-4970k - $340

Cooler: Hyper 212- $30 (Might just use stock)

MOBO: MSI z97 - $94

Memory: old 12 GB of ddr3 1600Hz - Priceless

Total via Newegg + shipping = $469 ($430 with stock cooler) 

What I use my pc for: Multitasking (Mainly Twitch/youtube while playing a game), gaming, lite video editing. 

What I want: To not have to upgrade for 3-4 years and I plan to get an Oculus rift in April.

I'd go Haswell i7.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Skylake i5, it's 19% faster overall in games compared to Haswell (at equal clock). And those other tasks like streaming you can delegate to either your GPU or iGPU.

But that 19% improvement will be trumped by the i7's higher Base & Turbo clocks and HyperThreading.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

An I5 in US is only 280$?? wtf , canada a 6600k is $350+ if you can find one in stock.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

But that 19% improvement will be trumped by the i7's higher Base & Turbo clocks and HyperThreading.

Depends on the game, not all support HT. And you can always overclock the 6600K. 

However, why a B150 + 6700K isn't coined is beyond me.

Another option might be to wait and see whether retail Skylake parts come down in price a little.  If you look at the Intel ARK, the box pricing for the 4790K and 6700K are identical at $350.  For whatever reason (poor yields?), the Skylake parts are still very expensive compared to Haswell.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

Presumably he would run the 6600K or 4790K at similar clocks.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

Depends on the game, not all support HT. And you can always overclock the 6600K.

However, why a B150 + 6700K isn't coined is beyond me.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Not exactly true. MMO's and MOBA's are games too. Almost every single one of them do not scale beyond 2 cores, because they are designed to be playable by the lowest common denominator of computer hardware. Their products reach more people, means more potential sales in their stores, means more money. The genre is holding us back as a whole, if you ask me.

To say "most games support HT" just is not true. In fact, i would say out of every single game available on PC, less than 10% actually show a performance boost when using HT. The most noticeable advantage when using HT, is from games that require 4 threads to run properly. An i3 will play the game, while a G3258 will struggle, or even fail to launch the game. 

Some games are on the opposite spectrum. They flat out lose performance with HT enabled. Final Fantasy XIII is a great example of this. Many forums and steam posts dedicated to that problem, but the easiest solution seems to be to turn HT off. 

In short, HT is great, but it's not magic. In games that can actually use it, an i7 over an i5 will only yield about 10% more FPS. Games that do not use it, will see absolutely no difference when comparing similarly clocked i5's and i7's.

As for OP's decision, the 6600k will match the 4790k's performance in gaming, but it will not match the raw lifting power of an i7 in compute and rendering. Since both are the same price, I would suggest the 4790k. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

You're correct, poor wording on my part. I should have said most new releases and those being released. But you have a point with MMOs as well.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

You're correct, poor wording on my part. I should have said most new releases and those being released. But you have a point with MMOs as well.

Yeah. I am actually quite surprised about how well the new AAA titles benefit from HT. It's almost night and day when compared to just a year ago. This is also without even seeing what DX 12 will do.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.