Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I just got my first mechanical keyboard, and I can't stop typing on it. Prior to this, my only experience was with membrane-based keyboards and--rarely--my dad's old IBM Model F in the basement. I just bought a Ducky Zero (DK2108S) with Cherry MX Blue switches and a blue backlight. I figured I'd come on here to share this because I don't know of many other places that particularly care about/will allow my enthusiasm to show. I should have ended this post a few lines ago, but it's just soooooo much fun to type on this thing and I am just sooooo excited to be doing it that I could potentially ramble  on forever, though I will probably end it soon so as not to annoy anybody. Oh God, after I go back to school after spring break, my roommate is going to absolutely hate me.

I can't wait until I go to college. I got a nice ultrabook that I will be setting my cooler master quickfire rapid on top of. it looks really weird, but the typing experience is so much better than anything else I have tried, and worlds ahead of the built in keyboard on the laptop. I get 30wpm on the lapptop keyboard and up to 75 wpm on my quickfire

What kind did you get? The reason I ask is those seem awfully cheap.

I already edited it into the above, but: 

http://www.amazon.co...HDYYA9Z5SKF2TA9

they're of the harder variety. 70A, but for the price, you can't beat that when you're looking to shorten reset distance.

I have them installed now, and it is like night and day. the thump from bottom out is almost done and the ring of the backplane mostly gone. the distance from bottom to reset isn't bad either

I can't wait until I go to college. I got a nice ultrabook that I will be setting my cooler master quickfire rapid on top of. it looks really weird, but the typing experience is so much better than anything else I have tried, and worlds ahead of the built in keyboard on the laptop. I get 30wpm on the lapptop keyboard and up to 75 wpm on my quickfire

It is so much easier to type more quickly and accurately on a mechanical keyboard than a laptop. I've had the same experience, though to a lesser extent. I get about 60WPM on my laptop, and around 90-95 on my Zero.

--Penis size, like resolution, is just a number--

--Hail GabeN--

I have an asus unibody laptop where the keyboard was clearly a major lapse in the engineering prowess. the key stabilizers do not hold the key firmly upright, so when pressing down on the key at the edge or on an angle, the key will rock, and often the keypress will not be registered, especially with the spacebar. it's an ASUS Q501LA. fantastic touch laptop especially at $600 for a haswell 1080p laptop with 8gb ram, even if I did have to install a SSD before I could really call it an ultrabook. if only they could get the keyboard, this laptop could compete faithfully against a macbook pro 15 that's twice the price.

thus, I decided to get myself a mechanical keyboard for the laptop. I have my thin laptop when I need it to be, but when I have space to carry my new keyboard, I will

I already edited it into the above, but: 

http://www.amazon.co...HDYYA9Z5SKF2TA9

they're of the harder variety. 70A, but for the price, you can't beat that when you're looking to shorten reset distance.

I have them installed now, and it is like night and day. the thump from bottom out is almost done and the ring of the backplane mostly gone. the distance from bottom to reset isn't bad either

Just a heads up so your aware those are going to be awfully hard since their 70A and theyre nitrile they may tear after some use.

Just a heads up so your aware those are going to be awfully hard since their 70A and theyre nitrile they may tear after some use.

they work alright for me, give me the result I want, and if they tear on me, I will replace them. at the price it was hard to beat

Just got my Ducky tuhaojin! :D MX Brown btw :3

IMG_0811_zps28561480.jpg

IMG_0812_zps04295775.jpg

IMG_0813_zpsa0bb2fba.jpg

Ugh! Those colors! I need to change my camera settings.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

There's going to be another Group Buy happening on Pimpmykeyboard tomorrow.  It will be Classic gray (light gray alphas & Darker gray mods) dye-sub DSA profile.

I'll post the link when it's up if anyone wants to get some custom made key caps.

Just got my new aluminum Counter-Strike keycaps for my Ducky Shine 3 Year of the Snake. ^_^

gallery_18827_400_574061.jpg

gallery_18827_400_303828.jpg

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

Just got my new aluminum Counter-Strike keycaps for my Ducky Shine 3 Year of the Snake. ^_^

gallery_18827_400_574061.jpg

gallery_18827_400_303828.jpg

Interesting, when I saw the email I thought it was going to be the more standard multicolored ones.

Interesting, when I saw the email I thought it was going to be the more standard multicolored ones.

sorry. i must have confused you with the pimpmykeyboard topic? 

i got this from a different site. 

or is it me that's confused. lol.  :D

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

sorry. i must have confused you with the pimpmykeyboard topic? 

i got this from a different site. 

or is it me that's confused. lol.  :D

idk? there used to be a older set that used mainly primary colors and included a spacebar and some other stuff. Which is what I thought you might have had.

I really like how you utilized your macro keys onto your keyboard through the use of keycaps that is very cool.

I own a Corsair Vengeance K70

great keyboard :D

Future Build : Intel-Core i7 4790K : Corsair H100i : Asus Maximus VII Hero : Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (DDR3-1866) : Samsung 840 EVO 120GB : Seagate Baracuda 1TB : Asus GeForce GTX 770 : NZXT H440 (Red/Black) : EVGA SuperNova G2 850W :

Acer H236HLBMID Corsair M45 Mouse : Ducky Shine 3 (Red LED/Cherry MX Brown) : Audio Technica M50RD : Some Nice Cheap Mouse Mat 

Peripherals :

with red switches

Future Build : Intel-Core i7 4790K : Corsair H100i : Asus Maximus VII Hero : Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (DDR3-1866) : Samsung 840 EVO 120GB : Seagate Baracuda 1TB : Asus GeForce GTX 770 : NZXT H440 (Red/Black) : EVGA SuperNova G2 850W :

Acer H236HLBMID Corsair M45 Mouse : Ducky Shine 3 (Red LED/Cherry MX Brown) : Audio Technica M50RD : Some Nice Cheap Mouse Mat 

Peripherals :

I really like how you utilized your macro keys onto your keyboard through the use of keycaps that is very cool.

thanks. 

next month, these awesome looking Starcraft II keycaps.  :D 

6WhgePD.jpg

thanks. 

next month, these awesome looking Starcraft II keycaps.  :D 

I love that :) I wish I could see a rotation cap setup for a mmo and see how that would look :P

Joined with my k70!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Excited to be joining soon! :D After three faithful years of service I'll be replacing my Logitech MK520 due to the crazy shine on the keycaps and increased noise as the keys age.

Will be getting a K70 MX Brown by the end of the year, and hopefully a CM Storm quickfire rapid with blues or Ducky zero with blacks as an end of exams present along with a new monitor (trying out as many switches as I can!). I've tried blacks and reds before - blacks seem quite nice actually, but I've never tried browns and only touched blues once (blackwidow show box). Also thinking about saving up to eventually buy a topre just to see what it's like. I mean 4 keyboard should be plenty, right? :P

On a side note, are there any good suggestions for tenkeyless wristwrests for someone who has slightly sweaty hands (I seem to leak skin oils a little).... *shudder*

Excited to be joining soon! :D After three faithful years of service I'll be replacing my Logitech MK520 due to the crazy shine on the keycaps and increased noise as the keys age.

Will be getting a K70 MX Brown by the end of the year, and hopefully a CM Storm quickfire rapid with blues or Ducky zero with blacks as an end of exams present along with a new monitor (trying out as many switches as I can!). I've tried blacks and reds before - blacks seem quite nice actually, but I've never tried browns and only touched blues once (blackwidow show box). Also thinking about saving up to eventually buy a topre just to see what it's like. I mean 4 keyboard should be plenty, right? :P

On a side note, are there any good suggestions for tenkeyless wristwrests for someone who has slightly sweaty hands (I seem to leak skin oils a little).... *shudder*

I also only had the chance to feel experience linear only, and the razer box. However, after i got my filco blues, it felt completely different from thhose razer arrow keys, idk why. It actually is better than that experience. So i wouldnt buy blues based on that "test".

Browns kinda feel like reds, I mena you dont really feel the bump that well. For browns i suggest looking for a shop that sells the logitech g710.

These were my first expriences:

Blue: arrowkeys on blackwidow(shop)

Red: bought a k90 (first mech keyboard)

Browns: logitech g710 (shop)

Topre: In my dreams ;_;

Buckling springs: Dreams, but soon to be irl:D

However, after i got my filco blues, it felt completely different from thhose razer arrow keys...So i wouldnt buy blues based on that "test".

Browns kinda feel like reds, I mena you dont really feel the bump that well. For browns i suggest looking for a shop that sells the logitech g710.

I suspect the filco either mounts the switches differently or it's the keycaps or something. I liked the feel of a click and there isn't an easy way to try out mech boards without buying them over here so that's why I want to get the quickfire rapid. It's fairly cheap (£50 in some places) and I can give it to my sister if I don't like it. Also I've heard good reports about the G710 but I'm a Corsair guy.....I just love the brushed aluminium and the volume wheel :3

and cheers for explaining the browns. I've heard some people say the bump isn't that noticeable and since I don't mind the linear feel of reds (but it'd be nice heavier hence blacks) I reckon I'll like browns with the 'little' bump. I'm gonna o-ring them some point after I get them as well so that'll change things.

yeah i got my g710+ and its awsome

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/