Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

man the duck wrist rest sucks in terms of durability... its lasted less than a year and already super deformed/peeling. The leather coating or fauxleather doesnt hold up

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

man the duck wrist rest sucks in terms of durability... its lasted less than a year and already super deformed/peeling. The leather coating or fauxleather doesnt hold up

im not surprised

Love these keycaps, totally bought once I actually GET my mechanical keyboard :P

Anyone have these yet? Really nice as they are like, frosted black? http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-universal-black-translucent-mechanical-keyboard-keycap-set.html

Yup, I put them on my DS3 YOTS: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/73402-ducky-shine-3-yots-w-max-keyboard-black-translucent-keycaps-pics/?hl=yots

post your gon when you get it! the side LEDs are amazing

did you get any sort of tracking on it? The person should at least have a confirmation of shipping.

Nope its so expensive to ship from Canada to my country and we opted for a non trackable one

the shipping cost nearly cost me as much as the keycaps , but its so hard to get a trooper cap and I'm a fan to death of trooper

Did you build it yourself? I dont know if those caps fit the board to me as they seem too bright but thats your call.

Nope for this one, I've opted for someone to build it for me since I was busy at that period

but currently I'm modding my filco to green

A piece of the current progress

IMAG0462_zps310d24dd.jpg

post your gon when you get it! the side LEDs are amazing

Yeah will do! I opted for the side LED :D

Jokrik, is it a matter of simply breaking the solder of the current keyswitches, popping into the new keyswitches, and re-soldering?

Jokrik, is it a matter of simply breaking the solder of the current keyswitches, popping into the new keyswitches, and re-soldering?

Yeah basically thats it except after desoldering , if its plate mounted youve to remove it from the plate to completelety take the switch off, dont worry its super easy to remove the switch from the plate

Please dont try to break the solder or pull the switch out without desoldering. The solder is much harder than the PCB so you will rip the trace out of it causing it to need major surgery or ruining the PCB entirely.

Do not worry, by breaking the solder I always meant de-soldering, as he is demonstrating in his photo :)

and yes... finally ....

FilcoYellow-3_zpsd451d006.jpg

FilcoYellow-2_zpsd0e00189.jpg

FilcoYellow-1_zps81d09095.jpg

Resolution of the photos kinda suck since I use photobucket and I the forum does not allow me to upload a better resolution one

anyway.... :P

Man.  I have to learn how to solder.   Once again very nice Jokrik.

If you want to learn more to solder a good way to practice is to get hold of some old PCBs so you can learn how the solder flows etc. Alit of soldering is feel. I real good inexpensive station is a hakko fx888 they can be got from DX for quite cheap. I suspect they are 2nds because the casting of the base is not as good. But they use genuine replacement parts.

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

Could anyone recommend me a "big boy" mechanical keyboard? I've got a Corsair K60 presently, but I feel that it's more of an entry-level keyboard and I've really grown away from gaming since my late teens.  I'm now more into programming, but I still play games every now and then. And by games, I mean The Witcher, FFXIV online, and other "big boy" games.  I do have fps games, but they stay largely unplayed.

I've got my eyes on a Ducky Zero Shine keyboard with Cherry mx brown switches and blue backlit keys.  It seems to be the general consensus that Ducky is a good brand, but is it the best? I don't want "good for the price", I want the best. One that will last me until it breaks from no fault of its own.

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.

Could anyone recommend me a "big boy" mechanical keyboard? I've got a Corsair K60 presently, but I feel that it's more of an entry-level keyboard and I've really grown away from gaming since my late teens.  I'm now more into programming, but I still play games every now and then. And by games, I mean The Witcher, FFXIV online, and other "big boy" games.  I do have fps games, but they stay largely unplayed.

I've got my eyes on a Ducky Zero Shine keyboard with Cherry mx brown switches and blue backlit keys.  It seems to be the general consensus that Ducky is a good brand, but is it the best? I don't want "good for the price", I want the best. One that will last me until it breaks from no fault of its own.

Its hard to justify "the best"

keyboard enthusiasts find that if you want the extra "Bling" on the keyboard you should get a custom korean one

but some people find it hard to spend that much for a single keyboard yet some people spend as much for a single keycap (clack)

If you want good brand, filco is my personal choice

but recently I've found my dream keyboard which is a KMAC2 with 62g Blues

the heaviness of the spring really suits me

so its a very personal thing, but again if you want the best, get it customised to suit you

About what switch you should get it's all comes down to personal preferences. Some mechanical keyswitch might be rated for more strokes than another switch.

If you want premium quality I guess you should look at something with PBT key caps or if they don't come with the keyboard buy them afterwards. Again the PBT key caps will have another feel to them, haven't tried myself just what I've read from endless posts here and on reddit, so it's about what you will prefer.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

and yes... finally ....

*snip*

Resolution of the photos kinda suck since I use photobucket and I the forum does not allow me to upload a better resolution one

anyway.... :P

you can post the original quality there is an option in photobucket to do so when linking directly like you are on the forum. I ask that you dont use img tags if you choose to do that though as it slows down the browsing experience considerably for everyone. Instead link to them or cause clicking on the picture to link to them using some simple bbcode.

Big boy? How about the IBM Model F "Battle Station"? Its about the biggest big boy keyboard I know of.

ibmmodelf2.jpg

About what switch you should get it's all comes down to personal preferences. Some mechanical keyswitch might be rated for more strokes than another switch.

If you want premium quality I guess you should look at something with PBT key caps or if they don't come with the keyboard buy them afterwards. Again the PBT key caps will have another feel to them, haven't tried myself just what I've read from endless posts here and on reddit, so it's about what you will prefer.

All cherry switches are now rated the same from what I remember. The used to be more from what I recall were the blacks.

All cherry switches are now rated the same from what I remember. The used to be more from what I recall were the blacks.

Not really. According to Cherry MX Datasheet, Blacks and Browns have 50M operations, while Blues/Vintage Whites and Clears have 20M, and MX Lock has 500k. Reds aren't included in the datasheet because they didn't exist back then. They most likely have the same spec as black, and Greens and Whites should have same spec as Blues.

adeVPsx.png

Not really. According to Cherry MX Datasheet, Blacks and Browns have 50M operations, while Blues/Vintage Whites and Clears have 20M, and MX Lock has 500k. Reds aren't included in the datasheet because they didn't exist back then. They most likely have the same spec as black, and Greens and Whites should have same spec as Blues.

adeVPsx.png

Well I can guarantee that the bit about the clears is wrong now and never was correct. Here is a link with the data directly from cherry http://goo.gl/vJS9l as for the lock switch that is not a standard switch and if you understand how it works that makes complete sense as its far more complex.

Well I can guarantee that the bit about the clears is wrong now and never was correct. Here is a link with the data directly from cherry http://goo.gl/vJS9l as for the lock switch that is not a standard switch and if you understand how it works that makes complete sense as its far more complex.

That link only references "50M operations". It's not a fully detailed datasheet. My datasheet was DL'ed from Cherry corp. I'm also well aware of how MX lock works and the reason for the low operations.

Besides, I don't see why you believe MX Clear's mechanical operations is wrong. Heavier spring with a more pronounced bump equates to more wear and tear on the stem. Likewise, switches with two part stems constantly hitting each other will reduce the life cycle compared to a linear/light switch.

you can post the original quality there is an option in photobucket to do so when linking directly like you are on the forum. I ask that you dont use img tags if you choose to do that though as it slows down the browsing experience considerably for everyone. Instead link to them or cause clicking on the picture to link to them using some simple bbcode.

I cant do that, it says that the extension I'm using are not allowed

but when I use direct link with non-original resolution, it allows me to, weird

anyway I'm sharing my last keyboard project of the year since now I'm concentrating on building a new machine with build log for it

Its a keycool numpad which I've painted matte black and change the switch to 62g Blues stickered

this way I can pair it with my KMAC

Numpad_zps1343b634.jpg

Pair_zps921e3550.jpg

The Filco keyboards look great to me. I'd either go for one of them or a Ducky.  Just one question....I've done a Google search, but where do I actually buy one as well as accessories like key caps?

mechanicalkeyboards.com

geekkeys (ebay store)

techkeys.us

originativeco.com

keypop.net

those are the primary us vendors that cater to the filco crowd rather than the gaming crowd

I'm currently using a Corsair K60 (as I said before), but I also like the K70. Would that be a respectable upgrade or are big brands in the mechanical keyboard community like Ubuntu in the Linux community?