Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On 7/22/2023 at 11:12 AM, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

Would you mind posting a minireview or some thoughts on it once it arrives? Looks like a nice starting point for fun little builds where you don't have to worry about ruining something expensive, at least compared to the usual 100$+ options.

So I got the keyboard for 3 days now and since I ordered 2 sets for my Keychron K8 Pro, decided to use 1 of those sets on the MageGee.

This black and white set is from Amazon, was about 35 EUR but quality isn't that great. It's a keyboard to use at work so it's fine to be a bit cheaper.

So this is the MageGee MK-Box, with red non-hotswap switches. I believe it's 60% size. I do miss a home and end key, but it's not the end of the world. F keys are not together on the new keycaps but they just correspond to the same key on the number row.

The pro's:

it's small, switches are OK but not the best. Typing feels good, sound of the standard keys is nice to my ears as well. I do really prefer heavy switches so have to get used to the low force reds. Keycaps are decent ABS but any other PBT keycap feels better. The backlight has decent brightness, even through the solid new keycaps. The stock keycaps have a glow through the text on the keycap so that's quite nice if you keep it stock. There's a faint glow all around the keys now as you can see on the pictures below.

It's got a detachable USB C cable, which is handy for my office use, since I can just detach the keyboard and put it in my closet to protect it from dust etc. Since I'm doing shift work from time to time, I may not use the keyboard for over a week so that's a plus.

Now some cons: backspace, left shift, spacebar and enter key make more noise than the others, probably because there's stabilization on the sides. If you do have to use these keys often, it may be a bit annoying.

As I said before, the standard keycaps are ABS and don't feel all that great, but if you can get this keyboard for 30-35 EUR/USD, it's a great first mechanical that allows you to mod a little bit and play around without breaking the bank.

It's only got a light blue backlight which may not be for everyone, but it does feature more modes. The switches are non-replaceable so you'll be stuck with the blue or red that you choose. Some others from MageGee are available with purple and browns, but most seem to be reds and blue.

Overall it's a great keyboard if you like mechanical and want to keep cost down. Of course you can create your own from scratch by getting parts everywhere, but if you just want a small cheap mechanical keyboard that allows you to change the keycaps for something you like, I'd definitely recommend this. Now I'm not sure how it will hold for the long term, durability is something to be tested for sure, but for now, I kind of like it and I'm curious how it will compare to the Keychron K8 Pro, but can give you an update once those keycaps arrive 🙂 In the end, I'm quite happy with the result and definitely with these new black/white keycaps.

Pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1981 IBM 5281/5282/5285/5286 Data Station Typewriter Keyboard!

* 528X-83 type IBM Model B keyboard
* 83-key Italian layout
* IBM beam spring clicky capacitive key-switches

* SAN double-shot keycaps
* Made by IBM Italy

* Shipped with data station terminals of the IBM 5280 Distributed Data System from 1980
* Some people in the vintage keyboard community call this the "Beamfoot" as it resembles the later and more common IBM 5291/5292 "Bigfoot" Model F buckling spring keyboard but in Model B form

shark_2658984_ibm.thumb.jpg.3aac0ea11825a8709aeec0280c5ef933.jpg

shark_2658984_ibm_left.thumb.jpg.6e135a7521a7a659126803092bb2f99c.jpg

SNKB-B1981-58T-83_20230804_switches.thumb.jpg.cb90b4868a0c099b6bf447bca7b17774.jpgSNKB-B1981-58T-83_20230804_keycaps.thumb.jpg.21b691e4ef9b906190c368c135622fc2.jpg

Shark lover, Software dev + research student, game dev, web dev, curator of IBMium keyboards and ThinkPads, r/ModelM mod.

My PC: Ryzen 9 5950X, MSI B450-A PRO MAX, 32GB (4x8) DDR4-3000, RTX 4080, Corsair 5000X, 500GB NVMe for boot & IDEs + 1x120GB SSD for repos + 1TB 7200RPM for games library, Corsair RM850e, Windows 11 Pro + Arch Linux.

I use a Rk Royal Kluge 90 with red hotswap switches. even has rgb (very thoccy)

I also occasionally use the Keychron K10 non hotswap blue switches keyboard (very tactile)

my first keyboard was the Dierya Dk 63 which was red non hotswap. I did a foam mod and it sounded a bit better.

they are both wireless.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, Admiral Shark said:

1981 IBM 5281/5282/5285/5286 Data Station Typewriter Keyboard!

* 528X-83 type IBM Model B keyboard
* 83-key Italian layout
* IBM beam spring clicky capacitive key-switches

* SAN double-shot keycaps
* Made by IBM Italy

* Shipped with data station terminals of the IBM 5280 Distributed Data System from 1980
* Some people in the vintage keyboard community call this the "Beamfoot" as it resembles the later and more common IBM 5291/5292 "Bigfoot" Model F buckling spring keyboard but in Model B form

SNKB-B1981-58T-83_20230804_keycaps.thumb.jpg.21b691e4ef9b906190c368c135622fc2.jpg

That looks very cool and look at how thick those keycaps are, damn. The colors are very similar to the Oblotzky oblivion set, even the profile looks similar to SA, but with much better built quality, its a shame the stem is not universal though.

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a 65% with a PC plate? Aluminum chassis preferred. I am a huge fan of the Drop Alt high profile but the lack of customization and 3pin PCB is driving me nuts. I'm tired of cutting stabilizers pins

3 hours ago, johnt said:

Any recommendations for a 65% with a PC plate? Aluminum chassis preferred. I am a huge fan of the Drop Alt high profile but the lack of customization and 3pin PCB is driving me nuts. I'm tired of cutting stabilizers pins

I ordered a Neo65 last week, its a group buy so you might not like it, but its a great deal, mine was 125 plus shipping with everything you ask and a cool looking weight, wireless and VIA support. and the delivery estimate is 4 weeks, Ive already got one from Qwertykeys before and they delivered on time so I am optimistic about this one.

Edit: It's a barebones kit and you have to put it together yourself.

3 hours ago, Jorgemeister said:

I ordered a Neo65 last week, its a group buy so you might not like it, but its a great deal, mine was 125 plus shipping with everything you ask and a cool looking weight, wireless and VIA support. and the delivery estimate is 4 weeks, Ive already got one from Qwertykeys before and they delivered on time so I am optimistic about this one.

Edit: It's a barebones kit and you have to put it together yourself.

Hell yeah I have to put it together myself. This thing looks good! Thanks for recommending.

Just picked up a dream keyboard that I've been hunting for 6 years until today! That keyboard being the OmniKey Ultra. I picked mine up for $50 at the Vintage Computer Festival Midwest. I thought it was too good to be true given the price, so I plugged it in and gave it the proper shake down on my Gaming Rig which happens to have a legacy PS/2 port. Everything works GREAT! I'm gonna try ADB mode and also give it a shake down on my Amiga 2000 as well once I get that thing up and running. My main thing is that there's a button on the back of the keyboard next to the dip switches. It's unlabeled and it isn't mentioned anywhere in the documentation. Anyone have any ideas what it does? I've also included a family photo of all the other keyboards I picked up today as well. I'm most proud of the OmniKey Ultra though 🙂 

20230909_203401.jpg

20230909_214008.jpg

On 9/9/2023 at 8:45 PM, Squirrelzilla said:

Just picked up a dream keyboard that I've been hunting for 6 years until today! That keyboard being the OmniKey Ultra. I picked mine up for $50 at the Vintage Computer Festival Midwest. I thought it was too good to be true given the price, so I plugged it in and gave it the proper shake down on my Gaming Rig which happens to have a legacy PS/2 port. Everything works GREAT! I'm gonna try ADB mode and also give it a shake down on my Amiga 2000 as well once I get that thing up and running. My main thing is that there's a button on the back of the keyboard next to the dip switches. It's unlabeled and it isn't mentioned anywhere in the documentation. Anyone have any ideas what it does? I've also included a family photo of all the other keyboards I picked up today as well. I'm most proud of the OmniKey Ultra though 🙂 

That compaq one has a track ball, does it still works?

An apple keyboard labelled with microsoft shortcuts 🤣

Do all of them use non standard (by todays) keycaps? and what switches do they have? 

12 hours ago, Jorgemeister said:

That compaq one has a track ball, does it still works?

An apple keyboard labelled with microsoft shortcuts 🤣

Do all of them use non standard (by todays) keycaps? and what switches do they have? 

Everything works!!!
Microsoft Excel was ported to Classic Mac OS so yea, that is a thing.
Idk much about the keycaps but here's what I do know:
Compaq MX-11800 uses Classic Cherry MX Browns
I haven't been able to find too much info on the ZEOS keyboard but took a keycap off and it's using a buckling switch with a membrane matrix
Apple Extended Keyboard is using ALPS Electric switches
Northgate OmniKey Ultra has double shot key caps and uses Complicated ALP Whites

Edited by Squirrelzilla
I typed OmniKey Plus instead of OmniKey Ultra like it was supposed to be.

Wanting to purchase wireless keyboard & mouse

Any recommendations ???

No budget constraints...

I'm sooooo pissed. I just got my third counterfeit set of GMK caps from Amazon. Granted I purchase them used at nearly 40% to 50% discount bc I cannot bring myself to spend $150 on caps, and I expect a few bruises and bumps. But THIRD set that is fake news is really frustrating.

All I want is a used product at a discount. How hard is that 😆

Here is my current desk setup GMK67 (Outemu Silent Lemon V2 / Womier WOB pbt keycaps) total costs about $60~    .. This keyboard is very quiet, one could easily take a keyboard like this to your work and not have your coworkers get super irate because of noise.

image.thumb.jpeg.0781a4d85fa213b3afb50bd59beccbf4.jpeg

On 9/14/2023 at 6:19 PM, johnt said:

I'm sooooo pissed. I just got my third counterfeit set of GMK caps from Amazon. Granted I purchase them used at nearly 40% to 50% discount bc I cannot bring myself to spend $150 on caps, and I expect a few bruises and bumps. But THIRD set that is fake news is really frustrating.

All I want is a used product at a discount. How hard is that 😆

There are some good fakes out there, my favourite is Ghost Judges on (from?) Krepublic, some people like Aifei but I havent tried them myself.

Check this video

My Neo65 came in a record 17 days. I am not happy with those keycaps but I had them unused, will pick something that suit it better later. 

Meanwhile, what a nice freaking keyboard, everything is 5 stars except the wireless dongle and Bluetooth, I had to put the receiver close to the keyboard or else I was experiencing lag, but might be a 'me' issue. 

Neo65 in navy, Chroma back weight, carbon fiber plate; Boba u4t switches; MT3 Dusk keycaps. 

IMG_20230915_235629_edit_1331915885756139.thumb.jpg.b005ce5efcc078ecd536554e5c09a064.jpgIMG_20230916_044051.thumb.jpg.358486c3861fd0bfbb4843385987c0dc.jpgIMG_20230916_125142.thumb.jpg.8aa25ecbd3c19f862e00ed1febd7cac6.jpgIMG_20230916_124719_edit_1345058525988509.thumb.jpg.f9ee22cfa0d27a1f453307a7efb53787.jpg

My hot swap mod Filco MT2 TKL (mx-red vortex pbt keycaps)

This has been my daily keyboard for the last nine years, I got tired of having to fish cables out if I needed to pull the keyboard out and use another keyboard, mostly I use the filco honestly but now with the mod it is easier to try other stuff.    The Filco has been great it has been used a lot and it still looks and feels great to use (If you like mx-reds?).

cable3.thumb.jpg.3490a20202c7b75a4bda5c3e114bd8c5.jpgcable1.thumb.jpg.014a465e47b50b12797dbf14a22b04c6.jpgmt2moddedcable.thumb.jpg.8c7888e625fcebefde8d2d76c51db885.jpg

22 hours ago, atarione said:

My hot swap mod Filco MT2 TKL (mx-red vortex pbt keycaps)

This has been my daily keyboard for the last nine years, I got tired of having to fish cables out if I needed to pull the keyboard out and use another keyboard, mostly I use the filco honestly but now with the mod it is easier to try other stuff.    The Filco has been great it has been used a lot and it still looks and feels great to use (If you like mx-reds?).

9 years! It must be good, have you changed switches and keycaps on it?

And what is that knob+sliders pad on the left?

I put a set of Vortex PBT keycaps on the filco when I first bought it, as at on the MT2 filco specs the worst abs pad printed keycaps in the world?   Other than that it is just the mx-reds that it came with.. they all feel uniform and fine after 9yrs of working / gaming... the keyboard has seen a lot of use, but it is a beast and just keeps going.

The other device is a PC Panel Pro which I got for xmas last year.    You can program the buttons and knobs/sliders to preform all sort of things .. In my case it is mostly switching audio devices and volume levels but also programed to open a few apps that I need frequently also... 

20230922_122552.thumb.jpg.6f2597a36315b196054b86577cb008a6.jpg

Does anyone know if these style keycaps would fit the Keychron K4 Wireless 100 Key Compact model? 

image.png.0e687e8d491735109f1594c5fffd1d69.png

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

4 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

Really don't understand why these keyboards became trendy now and with these keyboards I mean the ones that look like keyboards from 90s. They're very ugly. This phenomena proves that humans like mimicing each other and will buy those ugly keyboards just because they're trendy now even though they're ugly. Seriously, look at keyboards in 90s and then look at these keyboards. Very similar looks with those ugly white/grey colors... It's like if CRT monitors one day would become trendy again. I'm pretty sure lots of you would start buying them, just because they would be trendy.  But from history we know that humankind had some weird periods with stupid designs, like wigs in renessaince era or 80's silly haircuts or clothes. Eventually they died. These ugly keyboards will have same fate too eventually.

Purely subjective to your own personal opinion. 

I like them, so guess what? I'm going to buy some if they are compatible. 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

1 hour ago, Dean0919 said:

Really don't understand why these keyboards became trendy now and with these keyboards I mean the ones that look like keyboards from 90s. They're very ugly. This phenomena proves that humans like mimicing each other and will buy those ugly keyboards just because they're trendy now even though they're ugly. Seriously, look at keyboards in 90s and then look at these keyboards. Very similar looks with those ugly white/grey colors... It's like if CRT monitors one day would become trendy again. I'm pretty sure lots of you would start buying them, just because they would be trendy.  But from history we know that humankind had some weird periods with stupid designs, like wigs in renessaince era or 80's silly haircuts or clothes. Eventually they died. These ugly keyboards will have same fate too eventually.

yeah, and gamer RGB keyboards are timeless pieces of art, or what?

2 hours ago, MrBaker89 said:

Does anyone know if these style keycaps would fit the Keychron K4 Wireless 100 Key Compact model? 

Hard to say definitively without a link or more details on those caps. In general, the K4 uses standard cherry MX compatible keycaps, so unless these are not compatible with cherry switches it shouldn't be a problem.

4 hours ago, MrBaker89 said:

image.png.0e687e8d491735109f1594c5fffd1d69.png

The k4 takes standard cherry keycaps so is those are cherry it will, but there are more things to consider. 

You have to see if it matches the layout, the K4 has a 1.75u size right Shift key and the right ALT, FN, CTRL are 1u, besides that the top keys over the numpad are not the standard one so if your keycap set has them on the side they need to be for the top row.

I will help if you post a link to the set you are looking at.

Keychron K4 V2 Keyboard Keycap Layout and Size Chart 

Pretty common question probably but what is a decent full size keyboard (brand) to get back into mechanical keyboards? Preferably with a volume/sound control button/thing on it. Its quite overwhelming when you google on this subject and see all the SEO crap and obvious sponsoring sites.

Is there a brand that (almost everyone) agrees is decent?

Max budget around €300,-. 

3 minutes ago, jdh009 said:

Pretty common question probably but what is a decent full size keyboard (brand) to get back into mechanical keyboards? Preferably with a volume/sound control button/thing on it. Its quite overwhelming when you google on this subject and see all the SEO crap and obvious sponsoring sites.

Is there a brand that (almost everyone) agrees is decent?

Max budget around €300,-. 

The Keychron Q6 is relatively easily available, has ISO layout options, and is considered fairly decent. 

https://keychron.de/collections/keychron-iso-jis-keyboard-collection/products/keychron-q6-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard-iso-layout-collection#

:)

So I took the plunge and ordered a K10 Pro US layout and they sent me UK layout replacement keys which is awesome! 

I love the keyboard. So well built. 

Are there any mods that people recommend? I'm going to do the tape mod this weekend to get that slightly duller thock sound. 

The Keychron pro brown switches are really nice but feel a bit light to the touch when typing. 

Can anyone recommend a tactile non clicky switch that has a heavier actuation/resistance? 

P.s - If anyone is on the fence regarding a Keychron K10 Pro, go buy it, it is a wicked keyboard. 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU