Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
3 minutes ago, Ramen Man said:

Nah not enough to be a batman keyboard, needs more lasers, grabbling hooks, jetpacks, screwdrivers etc.

Image result for it's time to stop

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

I was at the local tech mall looking to buy another 6TB HDD to  add to my 4 bay HDD enclosure, decided to drop by the KB shop to ask about the Topre RGB board (pretty sure no TKL model was available - only full sized ones - but had to ask to be absolutely sure), they confirmed that no TKL Topre RGB board was available. I then made the mistake of checking out some shiny new boards there when a Mistel RGB board caught my eyes.....mine's an MX Blue model.

Mistel%201_zpsyjqmwkwy.jpg

I like that it can be split into two parts for a better ergonomic feel....it came with white cables but decided to use my Ducky cable since it'd spare me the hassle of changing cables on the back of my PC.

Mistel%202_zpslk6dohin.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

20 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

Image result for it's time to stop

Wow, pulling The Fake Filth into this, I can't believe u done this.

3 hours ago, Ramen Man said:

Wow, pulling The Fake Filth into this, I can't believe u done this.

I did it, so believe it

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

K70 (obviously full size) RGB Rapid-Fire with Cherry MX Speed!!! O rings mod soon to come.

I want to share this "Interesting" keyboard I got from I think a local company.
Digital Alliance Meca Z

It's full size & RGB backlit with software to control the lighting & edit some macros
It features easy replaceable switch, the default switch is outemu blues.
and It's also Fully water proof

And it only cost around 68 USD

Here are some images of my personal Meca Z
I replace the switches with cherry mx various colors (red, brown, green, and black)
But I switch the outemu housing with the cherry one, because the led is on the pcb, and the cherry switch interfere with the led.
I also put a gateron clear in the tab key.
Planning on modding this keyboard more. :)

DA.jpg

da1.jpg

Nice to see more replacable switch keyboards. Still waiting for the big names to get with the program, but they're too busy swimming in cash, selling $150+ keyboards.

I have a Team Wolf Void Ray. Clicky modifiers and quiet alphas is quite nice. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

large.keycaps.png.8b71d29b23577cd4363a16

Recently got translucent keycaps for my Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S (RGB). The amount of light that comes off the keyboard now is pretty high.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

great stuff guys ! very nice, i personally have the corsair strafe rgb keyboard with cherry mx brown switches, they obviously are not that loud as the blue switches but they are fairly loud and i love it ! and the lighting effects... they are just amazing.147aaf7f-1e2e-4c2e-bc85-7fc5e29be79a.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, Minibois said:

large.keycaps.png.8b71d29b23577cd4363a16

Recently got translucent keycaps for my Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S (RGB). The amount of light that comes off the keyboard now is pretty high.

That looks interesting.  If you want legends and still want things to be bright, you can also try this keycap set, buy the white version:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IKBC104-Double-shot-Translucidus-Backlit-PBT-Mechanical-Keycap-For-Cherry-Keycool-NOPPOO-PLU-HPE-Ducky-Filco/32521595756.html

If you can handle the fonts.  These keycaps will be as bright as the legendary old Ducky YOTG White keycap set (which not only had bright legends, but the entire keycap would glow in the dark).  The new Vortex 126 key white set on mk.kcom is just as bright as the old YOTG set on the legends, but the keycaps don't glow at all nicely

So I've been using a Das Keyboard 4 Pro with MX Browns for a few years now and hate to think of using anything less. 

But... I want back lighting! 

Anyone have a suggestion for a comparable professional looking keyboard with white or multi colored back-lighting? (I love the dedicated volume wheel or I would just buy the back-lit Das Keyboard. The Corsair & Razer boards will blow my professional cover with those looks)

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Guinchard said:

So I've been using a Das Keyboard 4 Pro with MX Browns for a few years now and hate to think of using anything less. 

But... I want back lighting! 

Anyone have a suggestion for a comparable professional looking keyboard with white or multi colored back-lighting? (I love the dedicated volume wheel or I would just buy the back-lit Das Keyboard)

Thanks!

Ducky one?

Its got dedicated volume buttons but its not a scroll wheel

large_1525_DKON1508S_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Ducky one?

Its got dedicated volume buttons but its not a scroll wheel

large_1525_DKON1508S_1.jpg

Very nice, I've never heard of Ducky. Thanks for the recommendation

1 minute ago, Guinchard said:

Very nice, I've never heard of Ducky. Thanks for the recommendation

Ducky is fairly popular and a well known brand..

Their customer support is iffy but overall makes good keebs.

Hmm yes

sGTMkXf.jpg

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

I just got a Topre Realforce RGB.. The keys are like nothing I've ever felt. I have a Corsair K70 RGB Browns, Razer Blackwidow Chroma X TE with Greens and they just are not in the same league as the Topre switches. The only thing I wish the Topre had was more light creating options. Its annoying, its like downgrading from the Corsair/Razer lighting apps. Its too bad they don't have a TKL version of this. But I can live without it. It is expensive at $249, but the keys are so good its worth it. After using Topre keys, Cherry switches just feel cheep. Even the Razer greens feel better. The keycaps on the Topre feel so much better also. I never knew what I was missing..

I hear only good things about Topre, but unfortunately I require a UK ISO layout and Topre seem virtually non-existent in respect to ISO layout boards.

What about making yourself, can you buy Topre switches individually? There's loads of the DIY kits available these days, and from YouTube videos I've seen it doesn't seem that hard at all. You just need the PCB, plate, case and switches, then just a case of soldering which doesn't look too difficult. Anyone done this?

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

36 minutes ago, atomicus said:

I hear only good things about Topre, but unfortunately I require a UK ISO layout and Topre seem virtually non-existent in respect to ISO layout boards.

What about making yourself, can you buy Topre switches individually? There's loads of the DIY kits available these days, and from YouTube videos I've seen it doesn't seem that hard at all. You just need the PCB, plate, case and switches, then just a case of soldering which doesn't look too difficult. Anyone done this?

Forget about it. Topre is using capacitive switches that consist of a rubber dome and a conical spring. The rubber domes of Topre boards are molded in a single sheet, I don't know of a single DIY kit that is available for them. Someone is designing a custom Topre board right now similar to the Dactyl, but to make that you have to get an existing Topre board, slice it up completely and use the domes and springs from that to form the switches, a very tedious process. Building with contact switches like the ones used in other mechanical keyboards is much, much easier.

There is the HHKB JP, which is ISO, but if you wanted the ISO UK layout instead of ISO JP, you'd have to get new keycaps as well and a Hasu controller to re-programm the board. I would really consider moving to ANSI, the HHKB is designed around that specifically, and having backspace/delete right over enter is quite helpful.

2 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Forget about it. Topre is using capacitive switches that consist of a rubber dome and a conical spring. The rubber domes of Topre boards are molded in a single sheet, I don't know of a single DIY kit that is available for them. Someone is designing a custom Topre board right now similar to the Dactyl, but to make that you have to get an existing Topre board, slice it up completely and use the domes and springs from that to form the switches, a very tedious process. Building with contact switches like the ones used in other mechanical keyboards is much, much easier.

There is the HHKB JP, which is ISO, but if you wanted the ISO UK layout instead of ISO JP, you'd have to get new keycaps as well and a Hasu controller to re-programm the board. I would really consider moving to ANSI, the HHKB is designed around that specifically, and having backspace/delete right over enter is quite helpful.

In respect to ANSI boards, is there something like the Topre that is in TKL format? Or is that really a standalone product in a class of its own? I want silence (as much as is possible) and RGB.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Just ordered my Planck from Massdrop, getting 2 actually! First one has; a black case, MX compatible plate, Cherry MX Blue switches, and mixed XDA PBT blanks (beige alphas and black mods), and the 2nd one has; a silver case, MX compatible plate, Zealios 65g switches, and XDA PBT blanks. Super excited to make my Planks! Too bad the waits on Massdrop are months long.. there's still 11 more days to join the drop PLUS a 3-month wait after the drop ends! Estimated ship date isn't until June 26th :( Oh well still excited to retire this old pos Corsair k70 LUX (cherry mx browns)! I've been waiting for a Redscarf RevB or RevC and a Whitefox drop forever now.. I missed out on the last Redscarf because I was away from home.. I would pick up either in an instant even after ordering my Plancks. i really wanted to go from a full-size to a 65% then to a 40%/ortholinear.. But oh well, jumping with 2 feet in I suppose! Can't wait! xD

CPU: Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura | RAM: G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Edition | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3 + NZXT Aer RGB 140mm | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Edition | Lights: NZXT Hue+ | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB LUX Mouse: Zowie EC2-A | DAC/AMP: Schiit Magni Uber + Schiit Modi Uber | Headphones: Sennhesier HD598 SE + Fostex T50RP Mk3 w/ Mayflower Mods | Mic: Antlion ModMic 5.0 | OS: Windows 10

Got a G710+ for 60 CAD used. So far liking it very much

I also done some modding with it

Spoiler

20170316_185725.jpg

6 hours ago, atomicus said:

In respect to ANSI boards, is there something like the Topre that is in TKL format? Or is that really a standalone product in a class of its own? I want silence (as much as is possible) and RGB.

So far the only RGB Topre board is the Realforce RGB, which is full-size, but I fully expect Realforce to release a TKL version of that at some point. If you want to know when you'd have to shoot them an email and see if they're willing to give out any information.

5 hours ago, Artemiis said:

Just ordered my Planck from Massdrop, getting 2 actually! First one has; a black case, MX compatible plate, Cherry MX Blue switches, and mixed XDA PBT blanks (beige alphas and black mods), and the 2nd one has; a silver case, MX compatible plate, Zealios 65g switches, and XDA PBT blanks. Super excited to make my Planks! Too bad the waits on Massdrop are months long.. there's still 11 more days to join the drop PLUS a 3-month wait after the drop ends! Estimated ship date isn't until June 26th :( Oh well still excited to retire this old pos Corsair k70 LUX (cherry mx browns)! I've been waiting for a Redscarf RevB or RevC and a Whitefox drop forever now.. I missed out on the last Redscarf because I was away from home.. I would pick up either in an instant even after ordering my Plancks. i really wanted to go from a full-size to a 65% then to a 40%/ortholinear.. But oh well, jumping with 2 feet in I suppose! Can't wait! xD

There is a GB right now for the Sentraq S65-X, so if you're still waiting for a 65%, that might be a good chance to get one ;)

On 3/17/2017 at 7:42 AM, iFreilicht said:

There is a GB right now for the Sentraq S65-X, so if you're still waiting for a 65%, that might be a good chance to get one ;)

That looks pretty good. I definitely prefer the arrow keys which you don't get on 60%... well, I know there is a way to still use them, but I prefer dedicated arrows like that Sentraq. I've never soldered before, is that tricky? Would it be possible to use this as an ISO UK board? I'd also like to know if the switches are PCB or plate mounted, and what difference that makes... I've seen switches available with both options, but I don't understand what it means.

I'm a bit confused by some of the options. It says it includes LED backlighting, but it has White LED's as an option? I've also no idea what the spring options are and if I'd need those. And what are the SIP sockets? 

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm new to this keyboard thing lol! :)

whats the loudest key switch that you can get? i have blue switches in the one i take to schook(because i cant stand the laptop keyboard lol) and i feel like its not anoying people enough so whats a louder switch?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016