[UPDATE] AMD Announces Polaris Architecture - 4th Generation GCN Arriving in Mid 2016

HKZeroFive

Not as savage as that 1-post troll who put up that Global Foundries lost its New York 14nm fab.

Gotta admit, that was pretty good putting up a picture of a fire at night and faking the link text back to the NYT. I kinda wish the mods hadn't erased the thread so fast. As much as I lost my shit and cussed, that was pretty good. I'm pretty sure he'll show up on AMD reddit at some point. I just...I'm seven beers and two shots of Absolute into the night and I saw that and all Hell broke loose.

@MoonSpot, @Clear17Mud, and @fire219 all saw that. I didn't get to see 2 of the comments though. That was just so bad. Waterworks and everything for the first 3 comments and I flipped out. My Dad thought I was nuts for a split second. Just, wow...

Was a beautiful thread.  Typed a response then moused over the link and saw the YT redirect.  Cancelled post, refreshed to see more people be gullible ;)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Not as savage as that 1-post troll who put up that Global Foundries lost its New York 14nm fab.

Gotta admit, that was pretty good putting up a picture of a fire at night and faking the link text back to the NYT. I kinda wish the mods hadn't erased the thread so fast. As much as I lost my shit and cussed, that was pretty good. I'm pretty sure he'll show up on AMD reddit at some point. I just...I'm seven beers and two shots of Absolute into the night and I saw that and all Hell broke loose.

@MoonSpot, @Clear17Mud, and @fire219 all saw that. I didn't get to see 2 of the comments though. That was just so bad. Waterworks and everything for the first 3 comments and I flipped out. My Dad thought I was nuts for a split second. Just, wow...

Lmao I honestly thought it was rip in pieces AMD, that wouldve been disastrous for them.. But yeah, shout out to the troll that did it, he scared the Shit out of a lot of us

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Was a beautiful thread.  Typed a response then moused over the link and saw the YT redirect.  Cancelled post, refreshed to see more people be gullible ;)

Lmao I honestly thought it was rip in pieces AMD, that wouldve been disastrous for them.. But yeah, shout out to the troll that did it, he scared the Shit out of a lot of us

God, I mean as much as I actually want to see AMD split up and go cross-wise to Intel and Nvidia for better competition, that would have sucked for it to go that way. It wouldn't even have been fair. God that was bad. I fell for that hook, line, and sinker.

Back to dragons, 290Xs, and fire, does anyone have any confirmation on the GT 930 having a Fermi 104 variant? That can't seriously be coming back...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

God, I mean as much as I actually want to see AMD split up and go cross-wise to Intel and Nvidia for better competition, that would have sucked for it to go that way. It wouldn't even have been fair. God that was bad. I fell for that hook, line, and sinker.

Back to dragons, 290Xs, and fire, does anyone have any confirmation on the GT 930 having a Fermi 104 variant? That can't seriously be coming back...

Let's.. let's hope not on the last part, and on the first part - I'm in the same boat.  AMD succeeding would be wonderful, but the competition of an x86 armed nVidia and an RTG armed Intel would just be.. so god damn gorgeous.

4.0? Where the f*ck are 2.0 and 3.0?

*Sees source*

Oh, Videocardz? If even wccf isn't reporting on it, it's bogus.

I was like, WTF "GCN 4"?!?! and then I recalled these people, Huddy too, refer to GCN by some bogus "generation"; reality is, GCN is still at gen 1 with it's 3 iterations:

• GCN 1.0 - Southern Islands
  • GCN 1.1 - Sea Islands
  • GCN 1.2 - Volcanic Islands
  • GCN 1.3/2.0 - Arctic Islands

I'd be very disappointed if Arctic Islands would be GCN 1.3 and not GCN 2.0 - that would mean GCN has not seen a major architectural update

yeah i mentioned GodlyGamer23 so he brought it down in like 3 sec... i Quoted everyone that posted in that post, but Idk if you got notification.

Hawaii was bad? The 290/390/X have definitely stood the test of time and remain to this day, to be highly competitive cards. 

Hawaii's bad compared to Tahiti. I consider Tahiti to be like G92- way ahead of its time. The 8800 series were rebadged several times and still relevant because of how good they were. Same goes for Tahiti- 7970>7970 Ghz Ed>280x. Even now, it's still faster than the newly released 380x. Hawaii on the other hand was unimpressive when it launched and is still unimpressive 2 years later. 

Yay, an improvement over what we had 5 years ago. Took them long enough

They improved Drivers so much that 7970 that was on par with GTX 670 when it was released, today is on par with GTX 770 and even better in many new games :) 

Their hardware was capable but drivers were gurbage.

I believe this GCN 4.0 will use HBM2 and at last it will be capable of 4k gaming at 60 FPS on modern games. 120 FPS is too far from reality at that resolution with todays games optimizations (batman, COD, ubisoft)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Hawaii's bad compared to Tahiti. I consider Tahiti to be like G92- way ahead of its time. The 8800 series were rebadged several times and still relevant because of how good they were. Same goes for Tahiti- 7970>7970 Ghz Ed>280x. Even now, it's still faster than the newly released 380x. Hawaii on the other hand was unimpressive when it launched and is still unimpressive 2 years later. 

What's faster than the 380X? The 7970 Ghz?

Trust me, it's not.

Hi, Linus!

I used to be quite active here.

4.0? Where the f*ck are 2.0 and 3.0?

*Sees source*

Oh, Videocardz? If even wccf isn't reporting on it, it's bogus.

Can't wait to see your reaction in just few hours  B) FYI WCCF are under NDA.

The 380x and 7970 regular edition are pretty much neck and neck, the ghz edition is faster and the 280x is the same as the ghz ed.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1592?vs=1495

All I see are old games running better on old GPU's.

I use the 7970 Ghz in my main rig, and the only games I compete in are Frostbite 3 games (Battlefield 4, Hardline, Battlefront.) Maybe it's CPU (it probably is :P) but it's clear the 380X is a better card. Lower power consumption, higher minimum frame rates, higher general frame rates, better in synthetic benchmarks (take that as you will) and whatever else.

EDIT- Also, it's $200 more expensive than a used 7970 Ghz, but whatever.

I used to be quite active here.

Hawaii was bad? The 290/390/X have definitely stood the test of time and remain to this day, to be highly competitive cards. 

It went like this IMO

Tahiti - Good

Hawaii - Awesome

Tonga - Pretty Cool

Polaris = Probably Super Awesome?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

They improved Drivers so much that 7970 that was on par with GTX 670 when it was released, today is on par with GTX 770 and even better in many new games :)

Their hardware was capable but drivers were gurbage.

I believe this GCN 4.0 will use HBM2 and at last it will be capable of 4k gaming at 60 FPS on modern games. 120 FPS is too far from reality at that resolution with todays games optimizations (batman, COD, ubisoft)

The 7970 was never on par with the GTX 670... the 7950 was.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

All I see are old games running better on old GPU's.

I use the 7970 Ghz in my main rig, and the only games I compete in are Frostbite 3 games (Battlefield 4, Hardline, Battlefront.) Maybe it's CPU (it probably is :P) but it's clear the 380X is a better card. Lower power consumption, higher minimum frame rates, higher general frame rates, better in synthetic benchmarks (take that as you will) and whatever else.

Power consumption is pretty much within the margin of error depending on chip quality.

78761.png

I also wouldn't consider those games as old, Crysis 3 is the single most demanding game so it needs to be benchmarked, gta 5 is a memory hog so it illustrates a vram bound scenario for most cards, battlefield features the kinda popular dice engine that's used in battlefront, other games I have no clue LOL.

The graphs are really fucking stupid.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Let's at least hope it's true that AMD will announce it tomorrow...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

So I'm not the only one thinking that...

So I'm not the only one thinking that...

I don't know what "log leakage" means, but the second graph probably means "does more stuff faster with less power consumption".

That said, I'd have got detention if I'd given those graphs to my maths teacher in school.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I don't know what "log leakage" means

Leakage on a logarithmic scale.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

I don't know what "log leakage" means, but the second graph probably means "does more stuff faster with less power consumption".

That said, I'd have got detention if I'd given those graphs to my maths teacher in school.

They don't even say shit. Just Log Leakage over Performance. By what fucking measurement is that. I hate this shit so much.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

They don't even say shit. Just Log Leakage over Performance. By what fucking measurement is that. I hate this shit so much.

reminds me of the bullcrap they pulled with Nano, performance / cm  <_<

4th generation = revision 1.4? imo

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

I was impressed with it too. So much so i took a screenshot of the OP...

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3bjbzfwwf044t97/Screenshot%202016-01-03%2021.42.00.png?dl=0 (Linking instead of image embed, because it's technically irrelevant to this thread...) 

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.