How to deal with a computer addiction?

jeremyhorse

Hey guys, I suspect a buddy of mine has a gaming/pc addiction and i really want to break him out. He's become a zombie, refuses to hang out or go out, and just becomes more antisocial by the day. He is getting more snappy too, and his grades are suffering. This isn't the fun friend i got to know before...does anyone have similar experiences or ideas to get him free of this? Your help is appreciated, thanks!!!

Don't try to fix someone else's life if they don't want your help? What you'll end up doing is ruining your friendship completely

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Hey guys, I suspect a buddy of mine has a gaming/pc addiction and i really want to break him out. He's become a zombie, refuses to hang out or go out, and just becomes more antisocial by the day. He is getting more snappy too, and his grades are suffering. This isn't the fun friend i got to know before...does anyone have similar experiences or ideas to get him free of this? Your help is appreciated, thanks!!!

yep this used to be me

then i found a past time hobby

like riding out in the woods or motorbiking

ect.

the way i dealt with it was finding something different i like to do

Don't try to fix someone else's life if they don't want your help? What you'll end up doing is ruining your friendship completely

I completely disagree. He may hate you for it now, but chances are he'll thank you for breaking him out of it later on.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

Almost reads like a synopsis of me, but it's not a gaming addiction and I can wrangle it. It's rather a continuing thirst for knowledge.

I can think of many worse things one can occupy themselves with than something so innocent (if not used immoraly) as being in front of a computer.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I completely disagree. He may hate you for it now, but chances are he'll thank you for breaking him out of it later on.

No he wouldn't. There's likely a reason far beyond "computer addiction" and that's his way of dealing with it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Most addicts don't want your help and they think they don't need it while that couldn't be further from the truth. He may be in need of help, and he should not just ignore it. Not everything has to end in a destroyed friendship. 

Op, talking is always a good first step. Gaming addiction is a serious problem. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

No he wouldn't. There's likely a reason far beyond "computer addiction" and that's his way of dealing with it.

Well, I would still want to help. Yes you are right i might damage our friendship but I don't think you could call this current state friendship? He refuses to communicate with me or our group or friends and just stays home all day!!!

Most addicts don't want your help and they think they don't need it while that couldn't be further from the truth. He may be in need of help, and he should not just ignore it. Not everything has to end in a destroyed friendship. 

Talking is the hard part since we barely see him outside of school these days. In fact, there was a point he skipped classes, but that stopped for now.

I am saying this because I seriously doubt OP has 100% of the info and likely is missing out on some important piece of information. I was in a similar situation and that was my way of dealing with bullying in middle-school. I still rather spend the night on the PC rather than outside drinking or doing whatever.

Well, I would still want to help. Yes you are right i might damage our friendship but I don't think you could call this current state friendship? He refuses to communicate with me or our group or friends and just stays home all day!!!

I wonder why....

I agree with him, he will probably thank him later. Even if he doesn't sacrificing a friendship to help a good friend is worth it sometimes. Watching someone destroying himself if you could've helped is the wrong approach, it is a form of duty if you're really friends. 

Also there are many addicts just because they like games too muchm

I agree with him, he will probably thank him later. Even if he doesn't sacrificing a friendship to help a good friend is worth it sometimes. Watching someone destroying himself if you could've helped is the wrong approach, it is a form of duty if you're really friends. 

Also there are many addicts just because they like games too muchm

I've seen this kind of situation end badly so many times it's not even funny....

I am saying this because I seriously doubt OP has 100% of the info and likely is missing out on some important piece of information. I was in a similar situation and that was my way of dealing with bullying in middle-school. I still rather spend the night on the PC rather than outside drinking or doing whatever.

Well, I'm sorry you had to go through what you did, but I'm fairly certain this is stems directly from too much gaming. I'm not talking nights even, the minute school ends he's dashing back home to play games. I'm one of his closest friends and he used to tell me everything, too. I doubt he would resort to something else without at least talking it out first.

Well, I'm sorry you had to go through what you did, but I'm fairly certain this is stems directly from too much gaming. I'm not talking nights even, the minute school ends he's dashing back home to play games. I'm one of his closest friends and he used to tell me everything, too. I doubt he would resort to something else without at least talking it out first.

Thing is, he might have different issues as well.

Why my mom and dad split when I was 12 in a fairly ugly scandal series the only thing I had was gaming and it was my only escape - hence why I stopped interacting with a lot of people and just kept to myself till it blew over.

Many different possibilities. Try to understand before intervening.

I've seen this kind of situation end badly so many times it's not even funny....

I believe you, sometimes it can end bad, and sometimes it may be a deeper problem, but either way it should not be ignored. A bit more info couldn't hurt, just to know what's happening.

I believe you, sometimes it can end bad, and sometimes it may be a deeper problem, but either way it should not be ignored. A bit more info couldn't hurt, just to know what's happening. 0

My point exactly, get all the information before taking action.

Thing is, he might have different issues as well.

Why my mom and dad split when I was 12 in a fairly ugly scandal series the only thing I had was gaming and it was my only escape - hence why I stopped interacting with a lot of people and just kept to myself till it blew over.

Many different possibilities. Try to understand before intervening.

You did say that people have different ways of dealing with things. I know my friend, alright, he will approach the people he trusts when he has difficulties.

You did say that people have different ways of dealing with things. I know my friend, alright, he will approach the people he trusts when he has difficulties.

Why would he? I didn't, other people I know didn't. People don't randomly trust others with family affairs - and with good reason. It's easy to get burned.

Talk to his parents,or who ever takes care of him.Try to collectivly help him,that he can se more peaple are helping him,are caring about him,get some of his other frends to help you out,i mean gaming addiction is something serius,and if he refuses just take out(someone) a computer part or a psu cable,he proboly wont notice.

You should leave him be. He's going to do what he's going to do regardless. Might as well not make him mad. He has to come the realization himself that he's wasting his time and stuff, however he may never come to that conclusion. Hanging out on the computer is fun. It's all about moderation. You just have to hope that some day he might be like 'damn I'm sick and tired of video games and online people' and try to become social again.

Talking is the hard part since we barely see him outside of school these days. In fact, there was a point he skipped classes, but that stopped for now.

You can always try and surprise him at home, and since he is into games and won't likely just want to talk, bring some game with you, like a board game. Anything that will end in talking helps.

Talk to his parents,or who ever takes care of him.Try to collectivly help him,that he can se more peaple are helping him,are caring about him,get some of his other frends to help you out,i mean gaming addiction is something serius,and if he refuses just take out(someone) a computer part or a psu cable,he proboly wont notice.

I doubt i will be able to sabotage his computer, but yes i have talked to his parents about it and while they are worried as well they don't know how to help. Earlier in this thread i mentioned that he skipped school. That was because his parents took his router away, he straight up refused to attend school till they returned it.