World championship skier nearly wiped out by falling drone

ETHREAL1

"Austrian skier Marcel Hirscher at the Alpine Skiing World Cup in Italy, gracefully rocking back and forth on his big ski sticks, gliding down a mountain with the grace of a dolphin in tropical waters. Then, suddenly, a big spider-looking thing comes crashing down to the ground immediately behind Hirscher. It's a drone"

I just found this and thought it would be good for the wan show.

Here is the article:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/22/10653898/skiing-drone-accident-video-marcel-hirscher

Almost nosqoped by Drone. RIP in peperonis m9. Kappa

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

Watched the video, that could've been nasty.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Almost nosqoped by Drone. RIP in peperonis m9. Kappa

Twitch chat + Reddit + Aussie + 1 = ^

-

Sorry, i couldn´t resist ;) But on a serious note; that would have defenitely hurt. Luckily they wear helmets, so that could have absorbed some of the impact. Pls dun´t h8 me.

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

Sorry I'm new.... Didn't know that I needed to quote from the article and stuff....

"Nearly wiped out"

Oh come on. The guy was wearing a helmet and the drone must have weighed little more than 1kg. He wouldn't have gotten seriously hurt even it it had fallen straight on his head.

*mumbles something about oversensationalist clickbait "journalists"*

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Doesn't his speed and the drone's falling distance matter in this situation ? Wouldn't mind someone whipping out the formulas and proving that they are insignificant factors.

Remember when Felipe Massa hit a 0.8kg spring face first at 260km/h? He survived without major head injuries and at no point did he risk his life. So no, a skier going at 40km/h hitting a drone moving at about the same speed doesn't risk his life. This is just vague approximation of course, maybe I could come up with some physics to prove it iif I had all the correct data.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If we tighten the law in America, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE

here

Doesn't his speed and the drone's falling distance matter in this situation ? Wouldn't mind someone whipping out the formulas and proving that they are insignificant factors.

all right, I've found some somewhat useful data.

The top speed a slalom athlete can reach is about 40km/h. Since he was curving, he was certainly slower, but let's pretend he wasn't. Now, since the drone was falling perpendicularly, we can take this problem from two different angles: 1) the drone falls on top of the skier or 2) the skier hits the drone that has fallen right in front of his face.

the speeds do not add up in this case. The mass of the drone can be estimated to 350g (the drone) + 750g (the camera) for a total of 1.1kg.

Let's analyze case 2) first:

the skier is moving at 40km/h and collides with the drone. The maximum impact is identical to the drone hitting a still skier at that speed. A standard ski helmet is rated to withstand the impact of an 80kg man against hard ice (=rock, no bulging) at 20km/h; that is a momentum of 1600Ns. A 1.1kg drone traveling at 40km/h has a momentum of 44Ns. 40 times lower than what the helmet can take.

case 1) is a little trickier because I don't know how high up the drone was, but let's assume 50 metres for an extreme scenario:

The speed of the drone by the time it hits the skier is a whopping 110 km/h (without considering air resistance) - giving us a momentum of 121Ns. Less than a tenth of what the helmet can take.

As you can see, in no way would the drone have directly hurt him, although it would have probably caused him to fall.

@s3ns3 read above, as you can see there's nothing do worry about even if you have a 5kg drone.

-edit-

actually I made a mistake (sorry, it's late here :P)

I should be comparing kinetic energy, not momentum. So the helmet is rated to take about 16KJ, the drone in case 1) delivers 880J and the drone in case 2) delivers 6655J. So while that is still well within tolerance of the helmet, a 5kg (or even 3kg) drone would indeed have killed him if it had been falling from 50 metres in the air.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Time to make drone laws super strict so nobody can use them outside of their houses because of one person's mistake!

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

science

You really have too much free time on your hands

also, thanks for science

also, thanks for science

took me 5 minutes lol ^^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sensational.

It happened in Italy.

If we tighten the law in America, it won't happen in Italy again.

Sounds like politicians logic to me.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Nearly wiped out"

Oh come on. The guy was wearing a helmet and the drone must have weighed little more than 1kg. He wouldn't have gotten seriously hurt even it it had fallen straight on his head.

It would have made him fall, thats what they are referring to when saying wiped out.

all right, I've found some somewhat useful data.

The top speed a slalom athlete can reach is about 40km/h. Since he was curving, he was certainly slower, but let's pretend he wasn't. Now, since the drone was falling perpendicularly, we can take this problem from two different angles: 1) the drone falls on top of the skier or 2) the skier hits the drone that has fallen right in front of his face.

the speeds do not add up in this case. The mass of the drone can be estimated to 350g (the drone) + 750g (the camera) for a total of 1.1kg.

Let's analyze case 2) first:

the skier is moving at 40km/h and collides with the drone. The maximum impact is identical to the drone hitting a still skier at that speed. A standard ski helmet is rated to withstand the impact of an 80kg man against hard ice (=rock, no bulging) at 20km/h; that is a momentum of 1600Ns. A 1.1kg drone traveling at 40km/h has a momentum of 44Ns. 40 times lower than what the helmet can take.

case 1) is a little trickier because I don't know how high up the drone was, but let's assume 50 metres for an extreme scenario:

The speed of the drone by the time it hits the skier is a whopping 110 km/h (without considering air resistance) - giving us a momentum of 121Ns. Less than a tenth of what the helmet can take.

As you can see, in no way would the drone have directly hurt him, although it would have probably caused him to fall.

@s3ns3 read above, as you can see there's nothing do worry about even if you have a 5kg drone.

That's not really how helmets work though... They don't absorb 100% of the impact. They protect from things like skull fractures but they offer no protection against for example concussions. That's why you very rarely see an American football helmet cracked, but you do see players get serious head injuries.

I don't think a drone falling on him would have killed him, but it could have done far more damage than just make him fall. At worst I think it would have given him a concussion and made him pass out.

Side note: In skiing, wiping out means that you fall over. People are not killed in the show "wipeout" either. You can interpret it as "almost killed", but saying wiped out is the correct terminology here.

also, thanks for science

This is a forum of computer nerds dude. Yesterday I used intel's acclaimed 5-10% IPC improvements between processor gen. to figure out how high you'd need to clock a first gen. I5 to run fallout 4. Math is like our 2nd life.

Mofo morons everywhere. Don't fly your stuff in populated place, airports, resticted area, parks. Commonsence man.

That's not really how helmets work though... They don't absorb 100% of the impact. They protect from things like skull fractures but they offer no protection against for example concussions. That's why you very rarely see an American football helmet cracked, but you do see players get serious head injuries.

I don't think a drone falling on him would have killed him, but it could have done far more damage than just make him fall. At worst I think it would have given him a concussion and made him pass out.

Side note: In skiing, wiping out means that you fall over. People are not killed in the show "wipeout" either. You can interpret it as "almost killed", but saying wiped out is the correct terminology here.

Ah, I thought by "wiped out" they meant "erased from the face of the Earth".

By the way I made a mistake in the physics, I corrected it in my post.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Mofo morons everywhere. Don't fly your stuff in populated place, airports, resticted area, parks. Commonsence man.

pretty sure the guy flying that drone was an official cameraman

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

"Nearly wiped out"

I believe they're using the term 'wiped out' in the surfer sense of the word, as in knocked on his ass and ruining his run, as opposed to being killed

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

The drone was actually 6.5 kg and free falling from 19 meters. His speed on top of that would have been a serious injury, could easily dislocate a shoulder.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.