"K" Series Obsolete?

We are all aware of the latest BIOS updates from ASRock that essentially unlocks overclocking on any non K sku. Other Motherboard manufacturers have been quoted as do planning to do this aswell. With these plans in place, doesn't this make K sku's obsolete? What's the point in buy a $280 i5, when you can get a $200 one? This also makes Intel far more competitive as far as price/perf is concerned aswell.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

No... The BIOS updates only unlock BCLK OC' ing. Right?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well overclocking with base clocks require much more time and it can be more unstable. Also the fact they are not meant to be overclocked meaning the thermal of cpu would be quite bad if you dont have good cooler. 

Magical Pineapples

No... The BIOS updates only unlock BCLK OC' ing. Right?

Point being?

image_id_1541338.jpeg

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

K is nowhere near obsolete :/

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

When you need to save that $50, sure grab a locked CPU.  But if you really want OC support, you geta K-Series.

BCLK is (probably) not as stable as ratio overclocking (not to haswell levels of course) and is more complex.

and there's always a chance that intel will do what they did with the G3258 or, more specifically the mojority of H81, B85, and H97 motherboards, essentially forced a bois update that disabled OCing.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Point being?

Point being, BCLK overclocking is very risky business, is usually highly unstable, and requires beefy aftermarket coolers to pull decent performance at decent temps.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Point being, BCLK overclocking is very risky business, is usually highly unstable, and requires beefy aftermarket coolers to pull decent performance at decent temps.

Pair a 212, and an i3 and I gaurentee you'll get atleast 4GHz.

I might actually do it next week.

Technically the more direct equivalent to the i5-6600K would be the $230 i5-6600, not the $200 i5-6500. 

Anywhoo, base clock OC'ing isn't the same as multiplier overclocking. Since the base clock affects several things, you usually run into system instability much much sooner. It can usually help you squeeze a bit more performance out of a CPU, but you probably aren't going to push a non-K i5 to 4.5 Ghz using a BCLK OC (if the non-K i5 could even be stable at 4.5 on its own).

Edit: Was unaware that Skylake moved PCIe and chipset away from the base clock.. 

Edit: @coolkingler1 What, you haven't heard of the new i6's? Get with the program, noob!

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Technically the more direct equivalent to the i5-6600K would be the $230 i6-6600, not the $200 i5-6500. 

Anywhoo, base clock OC'ing isn't the same as multiplier overclocking. Since the base clock affects several things, you usually run into system instability much much sooner. It can usually help you squeeze a bit more performance out of a CPU, but you probably aren't going to push a non-K i5 to 4.5 Ghz using a BCLK OC (if the non-K i5 could even be stable at 4.5 on its own).

BCLK overclocking affects the CPU, IGP, and RAM now. It no longer affects PCIe or the SATA ports.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9848/bclk-overclocking-intels-non-k-skylake-processors-coming-soon

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

holy shit 1.632v on the core. ARE YOU CRAZY?

The CPU is running at nearly 5GHz. High voltage is to be expected.

BCLK overclocking affects the CPU, IGP, and RAM now. It no longer affects PCIe or the SATA ports.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9848/bclk-overclocking-intels-non-k-skylake-processors-coming-soon

Interesting.. I hadn't read that.

That does make you wonder where this will go in the future. I guess an important consideration is how stable will motherboards and CPUs that aren't binned for OC'ing perform with their settings tweaked like that. I've had my 4770K mildly OC'd for about 2 years without having touched it's settings, but will a non-K series chip be able to do the same reliably given that it's not binned for high clocks? 

Of course, people have been saying for years that a overclockable i3 could a very enticing value. I'd look into it on a budget rig for sure.

holy shit 1.632v on the core. ARE YOU CRAZY?

That screenshot was taken by a LN2 overclocker.. High voltages like that are the norm in that situation.

Interesting.. I hadn't read that.

That does make you wonder where this will go in the future. I guess an important consideration is how stable will motherboards and CPUs that aren't binned for OC'ing perform with their settings tweaked like that. I've had my 4770K mildly OC'd for about 2 years without having touched it's settings, but will a non-K series chip be able to do the same reliably given that it's not binned for high clocks? 

Of course, people have been saying for years that a overclockable i3 could a very enticing value. I'd look into it on a budget rig for sure.

That screenshot was taken by a LN2 overclocker.. High voltages like that are the norm in that situation.

My theory is that future K SKU's will get exclusive instruction sets or features. Locking virtualization, so only K's and Xeons can use them, specific features such as TSX being reserved for K series, etc. It make's sense too, as most gamers and non-enthusiasts have no need for them anyways. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

My theory is that future K SKU's will get exclusive instruction sets or features. Locking virtualization, so only K's and Xeons can use them, specific features such as TSX being reserved for K series, etc. It make's sense too, as most gamers and non-enthusiasts have no need for them anyways.

That'd be an interesting change though.. As far as I'm aware, the current and previous K-series chips (on the LGA115x platform) haven't had VT-d while the non-K chips do have it.

Point being?

image_id_1541338.jpeg

Yeah, like that's stable...

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

but my i5 6500 is running at 4.3GHz with hyper 212 evo and tempt is around 40-50C. Is that cooler beefy?

It is stable.

K series wont be obselete, they are for enthusiast and overclocker, it a chip design for overclock.

Not really. I believe it was @Gofspar that pretty easily got to 4.8(might be 4.6ghz on an i3-6100, BCLCK at like 143.6 iirc. Bclck no longer being tied to the north bridge really helps stability. That was all on the stock cooler too.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

but my i5 6500 is running at 4.3GHz with hyper 212 evo and tempt is around 40-50C. Is that cooler beefy?

It is stable.

K series wont be obselete, they are for enthusiast and overclocker, it a chip design for overclock.

Is that Idle or under load? I highly doubt that i5 would remain under 50C under any real AVX2 or FMA3 loads (Prime95, LinX, etc unless you got a golden bin and have it running at like 1.2-1.25V. 

Is that Idle or under load? I highly doubt that i5 would remain under 50C under any real AVX2 or FMA3 loads (Prime95, LinX, etc unless you got a golden bin and have it running at like 1.2-1.25V.

It was during stress test under full load for 10hrs

Yeah the vcore is 1.24

My 4790k at 4.5ghz with 1.18v

It was during stress test under full load for 10hrs

Yeah the vcore is 1.24

My 4790k at 4.5ghz with 1.18v

I'm sorry, but any stress test that only makes a CPU hit 50C on a 212 evo is not stressful at all, nor will I personally call it stable. 5 minutes of AVX2 would have that i5 at 70C+, i assure you. Sadly, people still believe Prime95 kills CPU's.