Razer Carcharias vs Sennheiser HD 439

YugaFGT

I mainly play FPS and RPG games I do listen to music but not so frequently so Gaming is the main Concern here which one would i be better off with??

Razer Carcharias, Sennheiser HD 439 

P.S kindly don not suggest any other headphone or headset because i'll only be getting one these these two.

SoulReaper Captain

I can only suggest the carcharias because it is what i used to have. However i would just look up reviews and things like that if i where you.

It's almost a given that the HD439s objectively sound nicer than the Carcharias. I'm happy with my pair. At first they sounded a bit light on the bass, possibly because I was used to turning the bass up a bit, but after a while they began to sound nicer (maybe I've adjusted to their sound and just think they do) and I found myself not touching EQ settings. They are really comfortable in long gaming sessions too, I pretty much forget they are there.

I own the HD 439s personally and I have to say that I am quite impressed. Paired them up with my FiiO E07K Andes and it sounds amazing for the pirce although it could be better. The highs can be a tad bit piercing but that would'nt be a problem if you dont listen to Japanese rock and pop like me. The bass is more than sufficient I have to say. It's not lacking nor is it overpowering like *cough* beats *cough.

So overall I would go with the HD 439s and if possible pair it up with a sound card. And get something like the Mod Mic if you want the gaming headset functionality

It's almost a given that the HD439s objectively sound nicer than the Carcharias. I'm happy with my pair. At first they sounded a bit light on the bass, possibly because I was used to turning the bass up a bit, but after a while they began to sound nicer (maybe I've adjusted to their sound and just think they do) and I found myself not touching EQ settings. They are really comfortable in long gaming sessions too, I pretty much forget they are there.

I totally agree on that. Although I am planning to replace them with ATH-M50s for outdoor and HD 558s for home use eventually. I have become quite an addict to getting the best things haha

Paired them up with my FiiO E07K Andes and it sounds amazing for the pirce although it could be better. 

How much/how noticeably does the FiiO make an improvement over on-board sound?

So, should i get the Sennheiser HD 439??

SoulReaper Captain

Sennheiser for sure. My own Carcharias lost both earpieces within a year and a half, with minimal abuse.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I've read hat the 439s Bass is not powerful enough would it still be better than the Carcharias

SoulReaper Captain

Sorry for the late reply. It does actually. For one the signaled is amped because of the Fiio. Also bass sounds less muddy and highs are a little less ear piercing. Overall, everything just sounds clearer and nicer

Or should i increase my budget and get myself a Sennheiser HD 215 II would it be worth the extra money

SoulReaper Captain

Sorry for the late reply. It does actually. For one the signaled is amped because of the Fiio. Also bass sounds less muddy and highs are a little less ear piercing. Overall, everything just sounds clearer and nicer

Or should i increase my budget and get myself a Sennheiser HD 215 II would it be worth the extra money

SoulReaper Captain

Yep, you won't be disappointed.

SoulReaper Captain

If I'm not wrong those have smaller drivers than the HD 439s and are more for portable on the go use. If you are willing to invest more, try HD 449s if you like a more neutral sound experience or maybe even ATH-M50s for that flat response and AMAZING sound reproduction. To add a bit, when using the M50s, I noticed that the differentiation in sound for the instruments was a lot better and I could really tell the instruments apart. Also those minor sound effects that you can't usually hear in the background could be heard no problem. I don't own the M50s but I have tried them at my local audiophile shop

• 9 months later...

I own the HD 439s personally and I have to say that I am quite impressed. Paired them up with my FiiO E07K Andes and it sounds amazing for the pirce although it could be better. The highs can be a tad bit piercing but that would'nt be a problem if you dont listen to Japanese rock and pop like me. The bass is more than sufficient I have to say. It's not lacking nor is it overpowering like *cough* beats *cough.

So overall I would go with the HD 439s and if possible pair it up with a sound card. And get something like the Mod Mic if you want the gaming headset functionality

Same Question 

Do you think i should buy them?? and what do you mean by the Japanese vocals sound piercing??  :P and Is it tolerable?? (the piercing highs) 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

It will make a slight difference, it will make a huge difference if something is wrong with your onboard though. (As it should)

My onboard has a really bad issue with headphones, it makes them sound as if they're underwater lol. But if your onboard works fine, it'll only be a slight improvement.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Depends on your onboard. My Fiio E10 makes no difference to my 449s. They are ridiculously easy to drive.

If I'm not wrong those have smaller drivers than the HD 439s and are more for portable on the go use. If you are willing to invest more, try HD 449s if you like a more neutral sound experience or maybe even ATH-M50s for that flat response and AMAZING sound reproduction. To add a bit, when using the M50s, I noticed that the differentiation in sound for the instruments was a lot better and I could really tell the instruments apart. Also those minor sound effects that you can't usually hear in the background could be heard no problem. I don't own the M50s but I have tried them at my local audiophile shop

The 449s are not more neutral; if anything the 439s have better bass extension. 4xx headphones are pretty awful for portable use because they are bulky and don't fold.

I've read hat the 439s Bass is not powerful enough would it still be better than the Carcharias

Bass mod on the 439 is kind of crazy