Why doesn't Linus actually review anything?

tezza192

Why doesn't Linus actually do product reviews? I understand he couldn't when he was with NCIX but now he's on his own he still just does unboxings, its getting pretty dull to be honest. 

Why can't we hear what he really thinks of the product, give it a rating/score or recommendation? It just feels as though hes in the pockets of all his suppliers, I dont much like TTL but at least he gives his honest opinion on something and then gives it an award....

Why doesn't Linus actually do product reviews? I understand he couldn't when he was with NCIX but now he's on his own he still just does unboxings, its getting pretty dull to be honest. 

Why can't we hear what he really thinks of the product, give it a rating/score or recommendation? It just feels as though hes in the pockets of all his suppliers, I dont much like TTL but at least he gives his honest opinion on something and then gives it an award....

if its getting old why continue watching... Nobodies forcing you to stare at his "unboxings" lol

he probably doesn't have the time, or get the products long enough to do a full review. I believe these samples that reviewers/unboxers receive they get to fiddle with them then have to ship them to the next recipient  for a different person to review/unbox.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

he's not in the pocket of the suppliers. He does honest first impressions. He does point out the flaws he sees and doesn't ignore them. I like this. Reviews are so biased. Just look at cnet. They are all over the place.

Possibly not cost effective to review every little item he recieves?

He does all the majour product releases so it's good enough for me ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

there was a thread on this already, I remember reading it

what happened to you???

He doesn't have the time to do so.

there was a thread on this already, I remember reading it

what happened to you???

I don't search every single topic, just the ones I know exist.

For the most part, he probably doesn't want to offend any manufacturers

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I don't search every single topic, just the ones I know exist.

just saying lol

hes lurking this forum as we speak

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Also he is sponsored by a lot of different companies so any reviews he did wouldn't be taken seriously.

It's a lot of work to run benchmarks or use a product for a long time to do a proper review.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's not what he does. I don't think he would really be the best at reviewing anything more than he currently does. His cooler reviews are pretty good, and his gaming CPU and GPU benchmarks are above average. He doesn't seem to know enough about VRM components or extreme overclocking to really review a motherboard, and he doesn't have the equipment to review something like power supplies or sound cards.

I suppose his sponsorships wouldn't really help all that much with reviews, since he can't say anything negative. Look at all the shit TTL got for his negative reviews on things.

Give him a break, if you dont like the content, dont watch that particular video...

Time contraints hold everyone back from doing a more full on job at hand, and considering linus 3 years ago, to today, has been increasingly busy, moreso day by day..

Knowing full well that he's pretty busy and find your happyness within yourself knowing he is doing the best he can for this HUGE increase in viewer population

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Oops double post, didn't show up @ first.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I don't know what videos you've been watching, but he does a lot of reviews while he's unboxing.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EI73Mr3RnU

Off topic: How do you embed youtube videos? It used to embed them automatically anytime you posted a youtube link, but it doesn't do that anymore.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Reviews were never really the foundation of Linus Tech Tips. In the beginning NCIX Tech Tips was intended for the in-depth coverage of products, while Linus Tech Tips was the channel where I could quickly film the process of opening the box in preparation for making the real content.

In time we realized that unboxings were actually more popular and for the majority of our viewers they contained all of the information they wanted out of a video anyway, so we focused on those.

The cold hard truth is that a video review can never contain the same in-depth coverage as a well done text article, so rather than try to compete directly with reviews, we make content that supplements reviews, which often don't contain a good look at the product and the things in the box. 

We also don't just do some glam footage, however. We seek to give some real information about the product, category, or the market condition to go along with the unboxing. I believe this sets our unboxing videos apart from others. It's a middle ground for people who want to learn a bit about the product and see it up close. If they're really interested in buying it they can go read some user reviews or professional reviews, or post about it on the forum here, and if they watch the video and they're not interested in it, then they don't have to do that follow up because they already have a solid general idea of what it's like.

Reviews might bite in the rear, especially if the sponsor is put in a bad light. Best to steer clear or a company might not sponsor un-boxings. Like EA... and that keyboard company Slick trashed (UN-intentionally but still trashed, no need to rehash). Unboxings just highlight the one product as long as there are no flashbacks to other company reviews (not that there's ever been any :P  ).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

There are plenty of reviewers out there. Some good, some less so. To someone that does not spend much time online researching things, reviews can be very misleading. While I am very sure a great many reviewers try very hardest to have honest and unbiased work next to their names, they are still people. They still make mistakes, expectation can get in the way of an unbiased review, and at times they get carried away as they like it so much they miss some things. Also the reviewers state of mind at the time of the review, might affect his review.

In short, a rating and a recommendation from Linus would carry a lot of weight imo. Let us say he recommends something, and 5000 see the review and buy it coz linus recommended it, 700 of them have a different experience from the reviewer for whatever reason(Higher expectation, Different hands or eyes experience things differenly, Different Tastes). 200 of them received the item broken, either due the post office, or the manufacturer not packaging it right or the retailer mishandling it. 300 of them out of pure inexperience, do not know how to use it like the manufacturer intended, thus break or and or have a bad experience. This hurts the Reviewer, people say he was paid to say something, some tell their friends about their experience and in total the reviewer loses the respect and attention of many. 

Through no fault of his own, after doing a good job, and putting in the effort to help other people choose a good product, he loses viewers, and Linus Media Group relies on viewers to exist. 

My point, giving someone all the information and allowing them to make their own decision, instead of forcing his views on people is the only reason that he is doing as well as he is. I can not speak for Linus, but I can say that I love what he has done till this point and I would like to see him (and Slick for that matter) keep doing what they do. 

Most people are lazy, they want to be told what to buy, and do not want to choose themselves. In the end, the only thing you really have in life is the ability to choose.

The posts I make may contain my personal views, opinions that are based on my experience. You are allowed to disagree.

I like how they do things tbh, Benchmarks are enough of a review for GPUs for me, I also really liked the cooling test bench charts, but you got to remember a lot of products are very similar so reviewing everything would be a very tedious job and honestly I wouldn't watch a review on a 770 when its almost the same as a 680 id rather they spend the times reviewing unique products in-depth like the titan coverage. I can watch everything Linus does because its short and  snappy hence why I love the Tech Quickie Channel.

He kinda makes reviews all the, cause in his livestream/videos he always talks about what he likes about the product, and product he bougth recently

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

++ most of them would be quite boring

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”