AMD’s Answer To Nvidia’s GameWorks, GPUOpen Announced – Open Source Tools, Graphics Effects, Libraries And SDKs

TOMPPIX

So Linus torvalds is lazy and cheap and wants other people to do stuff for him

There are only a handful of actual kernel developers. The rest of the Linux community is GUIs, drivers, security, etc.. Linus doesn't waste his time with them.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So Linus torvalds is lazy and cheap and wants other people to do stuff for him

He's definitely allowed his platform to reach new levels of success and adoption. Kappa.

He's definitely allowed his platform to reach new levels of success and adoption. Kappa.

linux has more computer market share than windows

I knew you'd say something like that.

Not to mention the fragmentation that occurs

YAY! Wait, why the fuck is it called "GPUOpen"? Who the hell names these things? I need to have a word with them and teach them how to name things properly.

As it's a GPU accelerated product that is open source... Seems logical to me

I wouldn't say profitless. Their actually the leader in new tech, which tries to get everyone on board for the benefit of all. Meanwhile, the other team gradually and eventually adapt to the new stuff, and squeezing AMD at the same time. Most people don't know AMD as the good guys.

Most people aren't that simplistic. On GPUs, maybe you're right. For CPUs, SOCs, and APUs, eh...

1) Intel beat them to iGPU

2) They cut corners on Bulldozer instead of going with a full CMT design, as an effort to increase profits while minimizing costs (read: minimize innovative efforts)

3) They didn't exactly push hard for a new architecture in the wake of Bulldozer's dismal failure, to the tune of losing AMD hundreds of millions of dollars per year.

4) They've been behind Intel on parallel programming (both homogeneous and heterogenous) for about a decade (see OpenMP, which formally launched in 2000, before we even had multi-core processors).

5) AMD bought ATI and then proceeded to not only begin a patent trolling spree against Matrox and Intel, but also greatly slow down GPU innovations as well.

AMD is no saint.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

OP, you're naive. Most open source projects of this scale get stuck in the mud and innovate more slowly than a proprietary solution with a dedicated team. Nvidia will simply pull in what it may be lacking in from this new library, improve upon it, and stuff it into Gameworks while continuing to have better solutions in their proprietary library. I remain highly skeptical of this project's future prospects until I see engines actually adopting this.

What you said^^ AMD has good intentions, but yelling "Open Source" about everything they create doesn't make it better by default or easier to implement (Lest we forget Mantle??). Whatever Green and Red do, it's still gonna be up to the game dev's to make sure the "game works" (Hahaha puns...) at all. I have a 970 in my main pc and I'll be the first to say nVidia royally screwed up letting Arkham Knight release in such a busted state with their branding all over it. I assume they were left in the dark to some extent about its performance or couldn't end the brand deal due to contractual obligations or something.

Either way, I'm interested to see if nVidia has any sort of response in the works. If they wanna win me over with GPUOpen, all they have to do is make it possible for Bethesda to learn how to do basic programming like proper keybinds (They HARDCODE some of their keybinds and have tons of redundant variables :( ), FOV, Mouse acceleration, etc. All I want is to stay out of .ini files, guys, seriously.  :mellow:

i7 3820 -- 8 GB RAM -- Zotac GTX 970

Agree on the naming, it's terrible.

"gameworks" sounds so much better so we need to help amd rename this effort. Starting now, Linus hordes, Youtube viewers, the locusts of the internet age, it is time to pool your collective creativity to give a better name.

I'll go first.

Visual FX

tress FX

wave FX

lighting FX

etc etc

How about RadeonFX for the headliner, than name the technologies inside stuff like TressFX, ParticleFX, AquaFX, LightingFX, etc.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

What are you even smoking brah...

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

What are you even smoking brah...

desktop computers are not the only computers. if you consider all computers including mobile and server linux has more than two times the market share of windows

desktop computers are not the only computers. if you consider all computers including mobile and server linux has more than two times the market share of windows

Server Linux has about equal market share to Windows FYI.  And no, mobile phones are not computers in the traditional sense.

Server Linux has about equal market share to Windows FYI.  And no, mobile phones are not computers in the traditional sense.

They are computers. They process data, they have support for input and output devices etc...

http://www.w3cook.com/os/summary/ also i challenge you to find a single scientific/computing server that is running windows 

They are computers. They process data, they have support for input and output devices etc...

I said traditional use of the word "computer", or "PC" which is strictly desktop/laptop/server.  If you want to nitpick, a TV is a computer, and so is a water filter unit.

http://www.w3cook.com/os/summary/ also i challenge you to find a single scientific/computing server that is running windows 

I counter :

http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all

Click Unix and look at it, Linux is only 53.3% of all Unix-like figures which makes it almost equal to Window's 32.3%.  Linux =/= Unix which are FreeBSD, HPUX, Solaris etc etc.  Who cares about scientific/computing server?  This is about total market share.

I counter :

Click Unix and look at it, Linux is only 53.3% of all Unix-like figures which makes it almost equal to Window's 32.3%.  Linux =/= Unix which are FreeBSD, HPUX, Solaris etc etc.  Who cares about scientific/computing server?  This is about total market share.

my main point still stands linux isnt some unused obscure os that people think it is. 

my main point still stands linux isnt some unused obscure os that people think it is. 

And my main point still stands, Linux doesn't have more computer market share than Windows.

And my main point still stands, Linux doesn't have more computer market share than Windows.

well i count mobile devices and embedded devices as computers 

I counter :

Click Unix and look at it, Linux is only 53.3% of all Unix-like figures which makes it almost equal to Window's 32.3%. Linux =/= Unix which are FreeBSD, HPUX, Solaris etc etc. Who cares about scientific/computing server? This is about total market share.

Actually, it's 53.3% confirmed Linux and 45.3% unknown. Unknown does not mean "not Linux".

Actually, it's 53.3% confirmed Linux and 45.3% unknown. Unknown does not mean "not Linux".

Unknown does not also mean not Windows and not Linux. It's unknown, and therefore not reliably Linux nor Windows.

Unknown does not also mean not Windows and not Linux. It's unknown, and therefore not reliably Linux nor Windows.

It kind of does, since it is unknown filed under UNIX. That means it is some kind of UNIX OS but they can't accurately state which one. It's also kind of foolish to assume that Windows has as big of a percentage of the unknown part since Windows is a lot behind in the known OS part.

It is very safe to say that the majority of the unknown UNIX/UNIX-like OSes belongs to Linux. All the other OSes you mentioned such as BSD and HP-UX does not even add up to 2% of the identified known UNIX servers.

Anyone who knows the basics of statistics will look at those numbers and go "yep, Linux has the majority share".

It kind of does, since it is unknown filed under UNIX. That means it is some kind of UNIX OS but they can't accurately state which one. It's also kind of foolish to assume that Windows has as big of a percentage of the unknown part since Windows is a lot behind in the known OS part.

It is very safe to say that the majority of the unknown UNIX/UNIX-like OSes belongs to Linux. All the other OSes you mentioned such as BSD and HP-UX does not even add up to 2% of the identified known UNIX servers.

Anyone who knows the basics of statistics will look at those numbers and go "yep, Linux has the majority share".

And then Windows 7 comes along and probably has more installed user base than every Unix-like system in the world, not just servers.  This is the "computer" market share.

And then Windows 7 comes along and probably has more installed user base than every Unix-like system in the world, not just servers. This is the "computer" market share.

And then embedded systems comes along and all of a sudden Windows has like 5% marketshare in total... Point is, you're wrong unless you only count the only market where Windows dominates, but doing that would look silly. Might as well say OS X is the most common OS because you only count laptops over 1500 dollars as "computers".