AMD Launches FX 6330 Processor - But why?

Agent181

This is starting to get old AMD.  I know why they did the 9xxx series, and why they did the FX series.  The first was to cash in on OCing due to the 8320 holding a world record with the second cashing in on gimped Opterons.  The "E" versions were more energy efficient, but wtf?!  How do they have the money for all this engineering?!

All this engineering? WTF, this is literally tweaking a setting. Just set the stock clocks on the same silicon to clocks in between the 6300 and the 6350. It's a tiny release requiring a tiny amount of work, and deserving a tiny amount of attention.

Jeez guys, what's all the hate about? Can't they make some tuning to their current offering while they work on zen? It's not like this is delaying it any further... and complaining about using piledriver at this point is just silly, what did you expect when their next architecture hasn't even been presented yet?

They have not only presented but actually launched two architectures after Piledriver: Steamroller and Excavator.

I seriously hope AMD will be using that box design for Zen.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

This is starting to get old AMD.  I know why they did the 9xxx series, and why they did the FX series.  The first was to cash in on OCing due to the 8320 holding a world record with the second cashing in on gimped Opterons.  The "E" versions were more energy efficient, but wtf?!  How do they have the money for all this engineering?!

Same silicon except OCing them to that on the spot?

IDK. I agree it's stupid. It's like covering a wall with blue tac and throwing hundreds of thousands of processors and hoping some with not land on the floor. The one on the floor become the cheaper models (e.g FX-4300s) and the ones on the blu tac in this analogy would be FX-6330s. 85-90% would hit the wall and fall to the floor. And 10-15% would land and stick to the blu tac.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

They have not only presented but actually launched two architectures after Piledriver: Steamroller and Excavator.

both of which are just updates on piledriver - which is little more than an update on bulldozer. Why use them when the performance and power consumption gains will be minimal at best and can be achieved with a small clock speed boost and slightly better binning?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

both of which are just updates on piledriver - which is little more than an update on bulldozer. Why use them when the performance and power consumption gains will be minimal at best and can be achieved with a small clock speed boost and slightly better binning?

Just like Skylake and Haswell are just updates on Sandy Bridge. Still new architectures.

The performance gains wouldn't be minimal if they'd implemented them on 32nm. They just decided not to.

Just like Skylake and Haswell are just updates on Sandy Bridge. Still new architectures.

The performance gains wouldn't be minimal if they'd implemented them on 32nm. They just decided not to.

skylake and haswell use lower nodes than sandy and support newer technology. Hardly the same thing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why did I not get an AM3+ board instead... I'm stuck on FM2...

oh well... *continues saving up for a better PC*

Source Source 2

AMD-FX-6330-Processor.png

AMD-FX-6330_CPUz.jpg

Um... what the hell amd, who decided this and why are you still using this old architecture :huh:

but-why.gif
In CPU Z my FX-6350 has 3 cores 6 threads.... 6 cores is new...

skylake and haswell use lower nodes than sandy and support newer technology. Hardly the same thing.

The smaller nodes are irrelevant here, and steamroller and excavator support newer technology than piledriver too.

I'm referring to what they've been doing since 2013.  2013=modding/factory ocing the 8320 and 8350 to create the 9xxx chips, 2014 was the year of all the E versions, and now this.

A "factory OC" requires very little work. The E thing, well, maybe they tweaked some power saving technology but it still shouldn't be a whole lot of work. It was a bit pointless though, they're hardly going to catch up with Intel that way.

lol just bought a 6300 :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

they probably calculate the tdp differently with amd going with the max tdp while intel is going with the most common use case scenario tdp. i had a fx6300 and now i have an i7 4770 and even though the 4770 says it has lower tdp it gets 30 degrees celcius hotter with the same 212 evo cooler

To be fair that's a soldered chip vs. one with thermal paste under the IHS.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What's wrong with a budget 6-core @4.2Jigahertz for $110USD?  Must be nice to be chinese and have the freedom to choose from more available options in your market.

The benches look okay, and it comes with a cooler that is worth a damn.  Looks pretty solid to me.

That's OC, it's stock 3.6Ghz, only 100Mhz faster than the 6300.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

they probably calculate the tdp differently with amd going with the max tdp while intel is going with the most common use case scenario tdp. i had a fx6300 and now i have an i7 4770 and even though the 4770 says it has lower tdp it gets 30 degrees celcius hotter with the same 212 evo cooler

no, TDP is not linearly related to the temperature actually.

this is why a 9590 with over 200W of tdp needs to stay below 70C but a pentium can go up to 95C

the way the chips are designed is completely different, and if you measure the power consumption to be the same of an intel and AMD CPU, the amd CPU will be running at a lower temperature

you can google "why intel CPUs run at higher temperatures" but there isnt a perfect explanation, they just do, and they have a higher max temperature to make up for it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

original.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

china is a budget market, the 6300 is a pretty good budget cpu, makes sense try and make some money

Roommate is from china, can confirm. Intel is just too expensive over there. Most people have and fx's. It's due to the import tax.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

Roommate is from china, can confirm. Intel is just too expensive over there. Most people have and fx's. It's due to the import tax.

if that true then i feel bad for them since they mainly play MMOs & those games usually like CPU with fast IPC.

To be fair that's a soldered chip vs. one with thermal paste under the IHS.

Plus the wattage is concentrated into a smaller die.

Whats all the commotion about comparing this to a 2600? I own a 2600, I can answer some questions

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

original.jpg

That is me on that bench!!! OMG look how decrepit i have become, someone help me!

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

this is why a 9590 with over 200W of tdp needs to stay below 70C but a pentium can go up to 95C

the way the chips are designed is completely different, and if you measure the power consumption to be the same of an intel and AMD CPU, the amd CPU will be running at a lower temperature

you can google "why intel CPUs run at higher temperatures" but there isnt a perfect explanation, they just do, and they have a higher max temperature to make up for it

There is a reason, AMD chips dont have temp sensors on the chip and the temp are only approximations!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Everyone actually knows why the AMD chips "run cooler". They measure the temp at the junction (pins), not inside the cores, and then send that number into some equation. the actual temps of the silicon are very similar between intel and AMD, no matter the process.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]