DSLR or Smartphone

This might seem like a very dumb question. sorry I'm a beginner and don't know much about cameras!! But i was wanted to get a nice camera for christmas with very good amazon sales right now. I want to get a DSLR more specifically the Nikon d3300 which is a entry level dslr. Theres a very good deal on it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8LQ8VW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER. but my question is it worth it? I have the new galaxy note 5 which takes very photos and idk if its worth to buy the dslr when i have this phone? I wanna take really photos especially when me and my family go on vacations, nice outside shots of nature and  sports. I also wanna take a lot of video with it (a big reason why i want the dslr is for the smooth slow mo). Do you guys recommend staying with phone or getting dslr? can u guys put what the dlsr can do better than the phone if you guys can. Thanks people.

It sounds like you'd want a DSLR. They offer way, way more options as far as features and adjustments, and if you choose to pursue it as a hobby you can keep the lenses you buy forever, while upgrading the body. DSLR's also offer better grip; I'm sure you don't want to drop your phone and shatter the display trying to get a great shot.

Phones are nice because they're always on you, many times easier than a DSLR to carry around, and are pretty point and shoot.

Have you considered a mirrorless camera? They're not bad if you're looking for something in between. The J series by Nikon is pretty awesome, I used one on my trip to San Fransisco and it took great shots. They're also minuscule compared to a full sized DSLR.

I have a Note5 as well. I'll be buying a Canon G9x for travel, and a T3i/D5200 for product shots.

Smartphones aren't that good compares to a DSLR.

If you want to start taking them sexy pictures, you should get an actual camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Full-HD/dp/B00EFILNV8/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1449469600&sr=1-4&keywords=Canon+S120

Is good for vlogging - Casey Neistat 2015

Erm...that's not a DSLR either, and honestly the Note5 probably takes pictures of pretty comparable quality to the S120.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

idk why are you even think about getting DSLR if you compare it with smartphone

DSLR is really different class even among other camera

it require dedicated passion and treatment

each lens had it own function, and it cost a lot, I know it because my brother spend thousand dollars only for lenses.

now, instead getting DSLR, a pocket cam or Semi Digital might do for you if you want to start, it's already have built in lens and ready to use anytime.

http://www.smashingcamera.com/best-semi-professional-dslr-cameras/

the downside of any cameras it probably not much handy (unless you pick a pocket cam)

I do understand why you trying to get a smartphone instead a camera, in this day and age when everything is so compact and convenience, carrying extra stuff with us seems to much work specially if you decide to get DSLR (or even Semi DSLR)

my suggestion just get a pocket camera, it will do, and you will not dissapointed with image quality either since it's definitely lot's better than a smartphone, even the most expensive one.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120768-best-compact-cameras-2015-the-best-pocket-cameras-available-to-buy-today

There is no smartphone camera out there that can come close to the image quality of a dslr. A smartphone camera is good for convenience since it is always available. A dslr also gives you more control over a lot of things when shooting and editing unlike a smartphone camera where you just point and shoot. I would suggest getting a dslr if you want quality images and video.

I would personally go for a mirrorless camera since they are more portable than dslr's and would be great when travelling. I am not sure how much a Sony A6000 go for nowadays but it is a great camera for it's price.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

This might seem like a very dumb question. sorry I'm a beginner and don't know much about cameras!! But i was wanted to get a nice camera for christmas with very good amazon sales right now. I want to get a DSLR more specifically the Nikon d3300 which is a entry level dslr. Theres a very good deal on it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8LQ8VW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER. but my question is it worth it? I have the new galaxy note 5 which takes very photos and idk if its worth to buy the dslr when i have this phone? I wanna take really photos especially when me and my family go on vacations, nice outside shots of nature and sports. I also wanna take a lot of video with it (a big reason why i want the dslr is for the smooth slow mo). Do you guys recommend staying with phone or getting dslr? can u guys put what the dlsr can do better than the phone if you guys can. Thanks people.

If you want to go pro, no one week take you seriously if you show up with a phone. Just my opinion.

you might as well compare a 5 star restaurant to McDs while you are at it.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

a big reason why i want the dslr is for the smooth slow mo

Most entry level DSLRs do not do slow motion, many only record at 30fps, and at max 60 for some half speed

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

snip

It depends, do you see yourself using a dedicated photo camera more often to take photos or using the camera in your phone?  Same for video, some phones (e.g. the iPhone) has a good enough slow motion feature in their camera app. I mean good enough for sharing with family and friends, but of course not for cinema production.

A DSLR can do so many things better than a phone camera, and gives you nearly full manual control over aspect.  Almost any photo camera, from compacts to full fledge DSLRs, is better than a phone camera.

But in the end this is your decision to make, whether you want to use your phone or a photo camera.

Read this link

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/smartphone-camera-vs-dslr/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Honestly, if you don't plan on picking photography up as a hobby or profession a DSLR might not be for you.

You mention picking up a camera for taking vacation photos and sow-motion video, entry-level DSLR's usually don't have slow-motion capabilities and if you're just gonna leave the camera in full-auto anyway and stick with the kit-lens the entire time then a point-n-shoot might be better suited for you.

snip

Not a stupid question at all. Asking questions before spending hundreds of dollars is very smart. 

First, the BEST camera, is the one you will pick up and actually use. For many people, a cellphone camera is just that. Newer samsung, LG, and Apple cameras are great. 

Unless you plan on really getting into photography as a hobby, a DSLR is likely a bulky, heavy, troublesome camera for you. They do not do slo-mo. They are not great for "just pick up and take good pictures for Facebook and photo albums". They shine and are great, when you plan on learning actually how to use them, and also plan on investing in better lenses. 

I would look at smaller Point-And-Shoot cameras, or mirror-less cameras. Being smaller, and more "pick up and shoot" type cameras, they will get AMAZING pictures, without the bulk and hassle. Here are some $500 ish or less cameras:

Point-and-shoot:

Sony RX100

Panasonic Lumix LX7

Mirrorless:

Sony a5000

Sony a6000

The problem, is that again, most of these $500 or less cameras, do not do more than 60FPS video. So, while those will do "okay" slo-mo - its not like 100+FPS that is really slo-mo. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Not a stupid question at all. Asking questions before spending hundreds of dollars is very smart. 

First, the BEST camera, is the one you will pick up and actually use. For many people, a cellphone camera is just that. Newer samsung, LG, and Apple cameras are great. 

Unless you plan on really getting into photography as a hobby, a DSLR is likely a bulky, heavy, troublesome camera for you. They do not do slo-mo. They are not great for "just pick up and take good pictures for Facebook and photo albums". They shine and are great, when you plan on learning actually how to use them, and also plan on investing in better lenses. 

I would look at smaller Point-And-Shoot cameras, or mirror-less cameras. Being smaller, and more "pick up and shoot" type cameras, they will get AMAZING pictures, without the bulk and hassle. Here are some $500 ish or less cameras:

Point-and-shoot:

Sony RX100

Panasonic Lumix LX7

Mirrorless:

Sony a5000

Sony a6000

The problem, is that again, most of these $500 or less cameras, do not do more than 60FPS video. So, while those will do "okay" slo-mo - its not like 100+FPS that is really slo-mo. 

oh okay, so if we are comparing quality, does the sony a6000 have very video and picture quality compared to the d3300?

It sounds like you'd want a DSLR. They offer way, way more options as far as features and adjustments, and if you choose to pursue it as a hobby you can keep the lenses you buy forever, while upgrading the body. DSLR's also offer better grip; I'm sure you don't want to drop your phone and shatter the display trying to get a great shot.

Phones are nice because they're always on you, many times easier than a DSLR to carry around, and are pretty point and shoot.

Have you considered a mirrorless camera? They're not bad if you're looking for something in between. The J series by Nikon is pretty awesome, I used one on my trip to San Fransisco and it took great shots. They're also minuscule compared to a full sized DSLR.

I have a Note5 as well. I'll be buying a Canon G9x for travel, and a T3i/D5200 for product shots.

Erm...that's not a DSLR either, and honestly the Note5 probably takes pictures of pretty comparable quality to the S120.

No I mentioned the S120 because it was Casey's favorite camera, never said it was a DSLR.

Snip

Excellent suggestions, I've also heard great things about the Olympus OM-D E-M line, ton's of affordable and compact lenses for that system too.

oh okay, so if we are comparing quality, does the sony a6000 have very video and picture quality compared to the d3300?

Yes, I'd say the A6000 is even sharper with the kit-lens than the D3300 with the kit-lens.

Here is a quick comparison:

Nikon D3300

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/producten/3462/review/d3300.jpg

Sony A6000

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cameralabs/13786417674

Of course, this is mainly because of the lens, but the Sony has an excellent sensor along with a much sharper kit-lens (it seems)

To get sharper results with the D3300 you'd have to get a seperate lens.

Excellent suggestions, I've also heard great things about the Olympus OM-D E-M line, ton's of affordable and compact lenses for that system too.

Yes, I'd say the A6000 is even sharper with the kit-lens than the D3300 with the kit-lens.

Here is a quick comparison:

Nikon D3300

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/producten/3462/review/d3300.jpg

Sony A6000

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cameralabs/13786417674

Of course, this is mainly because of the lens, but the Sony has an excellent sensor along with a much sharper kit-lens (it seems)

To get sharper results with the D3300 you'd have to get a seperate lens.

thank you a lot, what do you think about the samsung NX500? It has more MP and 4k?

Yes.

At this pricepoint when comparing the same age cameras, the image quality will be very similar. Both are APS-C, both have 24 ish MP APC-C sensors, etc etc etc. 

Overall score on DXOmark is the same http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A6000-versus-Nikon-D3300___942_928

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

thank you a lot, what do you think about the samsung NX500? It has more MP and 4k?

I've heard it should be kinda weird, the menus are rubbish as well, you won't notice the difference between 24.3MP and 28MP at all, 4K video should be decent at this price-point I guess but that's about it really. I don't think the "benefit" of 4K video is enough to justify purchasing the NX500 over the A6000 or D3300 at all.

I won't really recommend prioritising 4K video recording unless you're a professional who knows what they're doing, it's usually also mainly used for recomposing in post-production and then exported to 1080p.

I was just going through the full spec-sheet on the Samsung NX500 website, it doesn't say anything about which bitrates or codecs it records video in, so I'm assuming it's probably nothing to write home about.

The NX500 is also full of useless, gimmicky features, I wouldn't even touch the camera with a stick to be honest.

you cant produce the look and feel of a bigger sensor with a smaller sensor, and you can't produce the look and feel of a one focal length with different focal length. 

so a camera with bigger sensor and a choice of different focal length (especially long lenses) will produce results you can NEVER achieve with your smartphone, even if you were a guru at photoshop. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I've heard it should be kinda weird, the menus are rubbish as well, you won't notice the difference between 24.3MP and 28MP at all, 4K video should be decent at this price-point I guess but that's about it really. I don't think the "benefit" of 4K video is enough to justify purchasing the NX500 over the A6000 or D3300 at all.

I won't really recommend prioritising 4K video recording unless you're a professional who knows what they're doing, it's usually also mainly used for recomposing in post-production and then exported to 1080p.

I was just going through the full spec-sheet on the Samsung NX500 website, it doesn't say anything about which bitrates or codecs it records video in, so I'm assuming it's probably nothing to write home about.

The NX500 is also full of useless, gimmicky features, I wouldn't even touch the camera with a stick to be honest.

What about the Samsung NX30? Does it compete with other cameras with same price range

Here's what I say.

If you want the most efficient way of taking a photo, Smartphone's the way to go because it is 50-99% likely to be in your pocket (I know lots of people who put their phones in their handbags, backpacks, so on.

If you want a much higher probability of taking good quality photos, take a DSLR.

What about the Samsung NX30? Does it compete with other cameras with same price range

Doubt it, one thing to consider is the NX-mount Samsung use for their lenses, they're the only ones using it which makes your lens selection quite shallow.

And again... Samsung menus :(

But that's just my opinion of course, I'd advice you to read and watch different reviews of different cameras to figure out what will work for you.

Doubt it, one thing to consider is the NX-mount Samsung use for their lenses, they're the only ones using it which makes your lens selection quite shallow.

Well technically F mount is used only by Nikon, Sony A and E mounts are only used by Sony, etc... but yes the NX mount has a fewer lens selection than other mounts such as the Nikon F or Canon EF.  I think F-mount might have the largest selection of lenses available from through the decades, Nikon hasn't switched to using other mounts as often.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

And again... Samsung menus :(

But that's just my opinion of course, I'd advice you to read and watch different reviews of different cameras to figure out what will work for you.

Samsung menus are miles ahead of sony menus.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein