Tech that you think will go extinct soon (Discussion)

Gandek

Yes there are plenty of ignorant people in the world that adhere to the hive mind of, "The tech community hates this so I hate it too" without any experience with their products whatsoever. 

Same people who say things like, "Oh don't build on the anti static bag because it's conductive" nonsense because they heard it once and it gets ingrained in their memory even though they have no experience. Or, "Don't spread thermal paste let the heatsink spread it!"

Or the people that recommend the ATH M50s because they're the tech community fad headphone of choice.

Yes, and I'm very glad not to be one of them

Might I remind you that your comment earlier was, "Hopefully everything made by Apple"

yes it was

Scart and cathode TV's need to die, the amount of static shocks I got off my old TV made me afraid to go near it as a five old :o​.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

We weren't talking about iPhones, we were talking about personal computers... I didn't say you jumped on the "Android Master Race" bandwagon, did I?

fair enough

Please can I just state that I wasn't trying to provoke anyone in favor of apple's technology and was merely stating an opinion, I am regretful if anybody took offence

Please can I just state that I wasn't trying to provoke anyone in favor of apple's technology and was merely stating an opinion, I am regretful if anybody took offence

Please just be mindful of how you express opinion in the future. I know I don't stand alone in disliking the "PC Master Race" mentality. 

If you ever have questions about macs, feel free to ask; the forum is here so we can all help each other out.

happy computing

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Tech that will go extinct soon?

1. Smart watches (who uses them?)

2. Tablets (as phones are becoming bigger & bigger)

3. "Normal" TV's (they gonna get replaced by the SMART TV's)

4. DVD players

Tech that will go extinct soon?

2. Tablets (as phones are becoming bigger & bigger)

Phablets look ridiculous when you use them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Phablets look ridiculous when you use them.

Psh. Who uses their cell phones to make phone calls anyway?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Psh. Who uses their cell phones to make phone calls anyway?

Smartphones is were things are at, not American cellphones or ridiculous phablets.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Cable TV

Ummm

GPS

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Physical sockets. With more and more embedded systems. our next desktops could be powered with an embedded cpu.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Cable TV

Ummm

GPS

How on earth is GPS going to go extinct? It's used by everything in this day and age.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

How on earth is GPS going to go extinct? It's used by everything in this day and age.

They may have a point GPS has been around since the late 70s and with private companies now venturing into orbit what to say that a competitor doesn't offer something more accurate/better and it will eventually need replacing by something anyway, satellites can't stay up there for ever.

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5     CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X       Cooler: Corsair H115i with Noctua NF-A14 Fans     GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4G

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair LED 3200         Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB WD Black Enterprise

PSU: Corsair RM750i           Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG in Grey

Honestly i would say optical disk drives... Other than downloading OS's you can always get games from steam or watch movies online. Really the only thing keeping it around are things like Battlefront II and the older Command & Conquer games, and as said OS downloads. It's only a matter of time until people find an alternative to that anyway.

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

They may have a point GPS has been around since the late 70s and with private companies now venturing into orbit what to say that a competitor doesn't offer something more accurate/better and it will eventually need replacing by something anyway, satellites can't stay up there for ever.

Satellites in geostationary orbit have incredibly long lives, as their orbits basically don't decay at all, and there's not much that can interfere with them. Besides, GPS is used by the military, so they'll want to maintain it for a long time as changing systems when it works so well would be expensive and difficult.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

These things might stick around in corporate offices and such but we'll see them disappearing from people's homes

1. Printers/Fax Machines (maybe scanners will stick around but my phone does just as good with google drive's scan function)
  2. Optical Drives and Disks (everything is digital). The only disk I see sticking around are video games but that's switching to digital to
  3. DVDs. Just like VHS to DVD, DVD will be killed of by Blue Ray. The times of $300 BR players are long gone.
  4. Desktops for filthy casuals. This was talked about on another thread but there is a surprising amount of people that don't have desktops anymore and just use tablets and other mobile devices
  5. Pandas....WHYYYYY!!?!?!? :'(

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

As for something more accurate ... The first commercial GPS was OK, but then they came out with new, improved and more precise GPS models. The U.S. Gov't allowed the use of more decimal places in the position, both lat/lon on the commercial units. Military units still have more precision, though.

New GPS satellites have been launched throughout the years.

HDDs. SSDs will soon rule the world.

dude. even now they are spending money to improve tape storage. yes you read right tape storage. so i doubt hdds will go extinct soon

apple products

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)