Tech that you think will go extinct soon (Discussion)

Gandek

Extinct like VHS tapes basically. My opinion: TV will go extinct but not for a good while, i don't see this generation watching much TV, we just like to watch shows online on our PCs and mobile devices.

Next i think the traditional laptop will also go extinct soon, I see alternatives like the Surface taking over. My parents use a regular laptop and i don't like using it at all. Every track pad i used is annoying, having a touchscreen and detachable keyboard is really nice.

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

Honestly I don't see TV dying out. "Smart" TVs and things like Apple TVs or BT youview that allow you to watch netflix, iplayer and so on on your TV mean it's still worth having one for watching netflix and so on. As for laptops I still view them as vastly superior to touch screen devices, I really don't like touchscreens for anything other than phones.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

LCD's.

One can always hope ..right :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

HDDs. SSDs will soon rule the world.

except not, SSD's will never reach the use that HDD's get in data center applications due to redundancy and how you can get the data off of a HDD if its dead usually,

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

HDDs. SSDs will soon rule the world.

Doubt it. HDDs still have vastly superior price per unit of storage and will for a long time IMO. Also, despite advancements in USB flash drives external hard drives are still the best for backing things up outside of your PC.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

4K Blu-Ray

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Extinct like VHS tapes basically. My opinion: TV will go extinct but not for a good while, i don't see this generation watching much TV, we just like to watch shows online on our PCs and mobile devices.

Next i think the traditional laptop will also go extinct soon, I see alternatives like the Surface taking over. My parents use a regular laptop and i don't like using it at all. Every track pad i used is annoying, having a touchscreen and detachable keyboard is really nice.

Printers in homes, projectors are being overtook by large screens.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

4K Blu-Ray

Is Blu-Ray a thing still?

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

Doubt it. HDDs still have vastly superior price per unit of storage and will for a long time IMO. Also, despite advancements in USB flash drives external hard drives are still the best for backing things up outside of your PC.

For a long time, but eventually they will go extinct.

Printers in homes, projectors are being overtook by large screens.

Printers in homes? Why do you think that? *realises he hasn't printed anything for months because he just emails people documents or prints them where he needs them with GDrive* ah. I see.

except not, SSD's will never reach the use that HDD's get in data center applications due to redundancy and how you can get the data off of a HDD if its dead usually,

Newer technologies will allow for it, I'm sure.

The need for fans and cooling. It'll all be passive.

Hmm. So you think that despite the constant upward trend in power consumption, which is going to continue with the introduction of 3D die making instead of the usual planar "2D" dies, we're suddenly going to have PCs with a lower enough tdp to not need cooling that can still perform well? This seems very unlikely to me.

Hmm. So you think that despite the constant upward trend in power consumption, which is going to continue with the introduction of 3D die making instead of the usual planar "2D" dies, we're suddenly going to have PCs with a lower enough tdp to not need cooling that can still perform well? This seems very unlikely to me.

I agree, but with graphene and other replacements for silicon it may become a reality someday.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

regular laptops will not go, i love my macbook air and i would hate to use any kind of ipad stupid thing..

i disagree.

we already have 2 TB SSDs, the price just needs to come down, soon we'll all be running 1 TB SSDs in our systems.

HDDs are getting cheaper as well. You could run a 4 TB HDD for less probably, which for a lot of people is a more attractive offer than the additional speed of the SSD.

hdds use more energy and are less resistant to vibrations and such, and they dont produce any sound :)

HDDs are getting cheaper as well. You could run a 4 TB HDD for less probably, which for a lot of people is a more attractive offer than the additional speed of the SSD.

hdds will stop growing simply because of the way they work. only solution is to make the platters thinner and add more.

hdds will stop growing simply because of the way they work. only solution is to make the platters thinner and add more.

New materials could make the platters thinner without weakening them, better design could increase the resolution of the arms, allowing you to write more to the same area and so on. There're plenty of ways to improve them.

Disk drives on PC's

DVD's

1366x768 monitors

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Disk drives on PC's

DVD's

1366x768 monitors

Funny enough with the monitor situation I will likely never go to 4k as I can't tell the difference without putting my face uncomfortably close to a screen, but yes 768 is on it's way out

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

i disagree.

we already have 2 TB SSDs, the price just needs to come down, soon we'll all be running 1 TB SSDs in our systems.

hdds use more energy and are less resistant to vibrations and such, and they dont produce any sound :)

why does that matter to a datacenter, 8tb drives are dirt cheap for datacenters.

once NAND is dead there is no data recovery, they have to rely on backups.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE