Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas

Ok here goes. I will try to explain what's happening in each video and why we're seeing what we're seeing in as few words as possible with final conclusions at the end. All my clips are pretty short because my upload speeds are slow where I live and we only need a quick sample anyways. ;)

Tagging a few of you in this post so you can directly compare to your own footage. @Cloud7_3 @SkilledRebuilds. Everyone else, feel free to use the same settings and compare. :)

GTA V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srlgYscntrQ

Can see the shadows near by are pretty sharp and well defined, not blocky or aliased. Can see white dots or "shimmering" on the top edges of the fencing at around 1:31 (which is normal). Near the end when I slow the car down you can see shadow pop-in/quality shifting and well as texture pop-in/quality shifting on the palm trees just right of center on the screen. Can also see aliasing effects (flickering) in the shadows on the ground as I approach and pass under bridges etc. More on all this in the conclusion. It's all normal. Nothing new.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIDo3lvZV28

I see a tiny bit of shimmering on the rock wall near by where I'm fighting and that is where the rock wall is "wet". This is normal. I see it in many places in this game where the object is wet. The game is trying to render that "wetness" effect using the resolution available. More on this in the conclusion. Game looks pretty good overall, IMO. 

Skyrim @1440 DSR Max Settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlzU1evdUe0

There's a bit of quality/compression loss in this footage. Using over 100 mods, mostly visual, plus Sharpshooter's classic lighting ENB. Game looks great to me and I've always seen the "glimmering" effect on the loading screens whenever a highly detailed metallic object is shown - especially after installing the ENB. It is normal. I don't really see much aliasing in the game except for the blocky shadows which I've not been able to do anything about and is simply part of the game's graphical engine.

Alien Isolation

1080p Max Settings:

4K DSR Max Settings: 

Here you can clearly see the flickering lines on the edges of the objects at the end of the hall. It's prominent in both videos, somewhat reduced but still there in the 4K DSR footage. The flickering is normal for this game and the reason it's happening, I will address in the conclusions. Also notice how when I move to another area where the lighting and objects are different, there's far less of the shimmering.

Dark Souls II

1080p Max Settings: 

4K DSR Max Settings: 

At 1080p you can see the blocky aliasing effects in the moving grass near by and distant fine detailed objects. Can see the same shadow pop-in/out on the rock face as shown in @Cloud7_3's video. At 4K DSR all aliasing effects are pretty much gone, the shadow pop-in is gone and everything looks great. Due to the more simplistic environment and lower level of detail, this game is a good candidate for getting better image quality by using VSR/DSR. 

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

1080p Very High Preset: 

1440p DSR Very High Preset:

Looking at the fencing straight ahead outlining the palace yard (lots of vertical lines) can see a lot of aliasing effects there that simply cannot be helped at 1080p resolutions, unless you basically blur the image. This effect is still there running the game at 1440p DSR  (I couldn't run 4K DSR because the game would crash :P). More on why this is in the conclusion. Also, watch the two flags on the building on the left. They "change" according to the character's proximity to the flags. There is other shadow pop-in/quality shifting as you look around, nothing that really stands out as distracting to me (aside from the flags) and this is all still "normal" for this game. More on all this in the conclusion as well. 

Conclusions

Ok, I will now attempt to address all the "issues" I've pointed out above and why they are actually "normal" graphical phenomenon. 

Shimmering, white dots/lines, etc. as seen in GTA V, Alien Isolation as well as other "aliasing" side effects:

This is a result of the fact that our monitors have lines of pixels of a certain size and when the game is trying to render fine detail like a very thin line of light being reflected, yet the pixels are larger than the detail it's trying to produce, this is what you get. It's really prominent in Alien Isolation for several reasons: the game has a lot of sharp-edged metallic objects with sparse light sources. In real life, you'd see those light sources reflected off all those edges and those reflections would appear as a bright white thin lines. Problem is the pixels are too big to reproduce this effect and you get this "flickering" or dancing dots as the image moves across the lines of pixels on your display. If you don't believe me, try going up close to your monitor until you can see the lines of pixels and you'll see what I'm trying to describe.

Shadow/object pop-in and shadow/object quality shifting:

Most games do not render everything in a given scene at full detail for as far as you can see in the scene. To do so would require a lot more GPU and Vram. Nearly every game has draw distance thresholds as to when shadows and various objects/textures are rendered in full detail. In games like GTA V and AC Syndicate, this is more noticeable. IMO, they should have made this threshold at much further distances than they did (see the flags in my AC Syndicate footage), but that is at the mercy of the game devs and limitations of the graphics engine. Sometimes things like this can be improved by tweaking certain lines in the ini files of some games. To be clear; this is not due to some fault, error or issue with the GPU. It is "normal". In a perfect world, the transition in quality from low to high as you approach objects, textures and shadows in a given scene, should be seamless and unnoticeable. Some games do pull this off much better than others. However, due to various limitations during game development (time constraints vs level of detail in a scene) less seamless transitions is what we get which can often appear with a pop-in effect. Again, with these types of issues, we are at the mercy of how the game is made. 

Final thoughts: 

All the examples I have seen from other people pointing out what they believe to be "new" problems/issues that have supposedly only recently cropped up, have always been there and can be explained/shown to be normal graphical phenomenon as a result of the limitations of the resolution and limitations of the game's graphics engine and settings. I understand some of you are claiming to have never seen these things before, but I am 110% certain these are not "new" problems/issues. Like I said in an earlier post; the combination of being made aware of something that has always been there in addition to the power of suggestion can have a strong effect on some people. You can point something out to some people, something they have never noticed before yet has always been there, and from then on they can never "un-see" it. This is a real thing that can and does happen with some people. To be clear; I'm not saying this is what has happened with all of you. I'm merely suggesting it's possible this is the case with some who are making these claims.    

These things are "real problems/issues" in the sense that as games continue to increase in detail and complexity (AC Syndicate is one of the most beautiful, complex and highly detailed games I've ever played), that puts an increased demand on the level of detail to be rendered, yet the number of pixels does not increase (talking about 1080p specifically). How do you render more detail and complexity with a limited number of pixels? You can't. The inevitable side-effects are the things we have been talking about all this time in this thread. The only real and proper solution is to increase the resolution and pixel density to the point where we can no longer distinguish the individual pixels. Until then, if you're using a 1080p display, you'll just have to get used to it. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The games I do own as well.

GTA5 looks clean, much like mine when using higher settings (But I don't have it installed atm) Also,... I ended up using FXAA in the long run and dealt with the jaggies the game produces to gain performance, but that game is quite aliasing/jaggy heavy I've noticed in comparison to other games.

Shadows of Mordor - I have no major shimmer, only on that WET look like you mentioned.

Alien - pretty self-explanatory with every video I've seen having the same quality image pretty much (except the OP's)

AC:Syndicate - Really is pretty, but I have absolutely no shimmer on anything except the edges of water puddles on the street being glossy (reflecting light no doubt)
I like your conclusion about pixel density and refracting/reflecting light sources, and it gives a better understanding why this occurs.

IMO - you have the same image quality I do at similar settings.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

MEC-777, thanks for putting in so much time and effort trying to help us. I agree with the points made in your last post.

However, I want to explain the severity of these things in my case, and how my situation is different than the ones in the videos you posted. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to upload videos so let me try and explain it in words.

Temporal aliasing and pop in ARE normal in games, yes. But in my games, specifically Skyrim and MGS Phantom pain, there is a clearly defined line about five feet in front of and on all sides of my character (for practical purposes I will call it a "render distance box") where everything inside of it is fully rendered and appears as it should. Outside of the box everything is extremely pixelated with EXCESSIVE texture pop in. Let me repeat, THE BOX IS A MERE 5 FEET AROUND MY CHARACTER. I have been playing Skyrim A LOT FOR YEARS on pc and ps3. It is absolutely not a question of just recently noticing it or succumbing to the power of suggestion.  The power of suggestion is not even a factor for me. I did not read forums about this and then start noticing it. I noticed it first and THEN began to seek out forums to see if anyone else was experiencing it.

It looked to me that in your videos the temporal aliasing corrected itself when you were near enough to the object, as it should. In my games I can get so close to an object that I am touching it and it still has lines running through it.

Something is clearly broken. I have tried all forms of aa available on my GTX 970 and my R7 260x. I have altered in game settings. I have activated VSR. I have altered ini files. I have even tried mods. It all seems to get cancelled out as if it never existed. It changes nothing.

This is a hard subject to come to a conclusion on because the problem itself mimics things that are perfectly normal in games, except in these cases the problems are unnaturally worse than what a normally functioning game would show. It's hard for anyone to say where to draw the line for this is normal and this is not. I can't make anyone believe me if their mind is already made up, but something somewhere is broken in these extreme cases.

I want anyone else reading this who is experiencing these extreme conditions (especially the very small "render distance box") to back me up here, or am I the only one who has that particular game breaking issue?

Ok here goes. I will try to explain what's happening in each video and why we're seeing what we're seeing in as few words as possible with final conclusions at the end. All my clips are pretty short because my upload speeds are slow where I live and we only need a quick sample anyways. ;)

Tagging a few of you in this post so you can directly compare to your own footage. @Cloud7_3 @SkilledRebuilds. Everyone else, feel free to use the same settings and compare. :)

GTA V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srlgYscntrQ

Can see the shadows near by are pretty sharp and well defined, not blocky or aliased. Can see white dots or "shimmering" on the top edges of the fencing at around 1:31 (which is normal). Near the end when I slow the car down you can see shadow pop-in/quality shifting and well as texture pop-in/quality shifting on the palm trees just right of center on the screen. Can also see aliasing effects (flickering) in the shadows on the ground as I approach and pass under bridges etc. More on all this in the conclusion. It's all normal. Nothing new.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIDo3lvZV28

I see a tiny bit of shimmering on the rock wall near by where I'm fighting and that is where the rock wall is "wet". This is normal. I see it in many places in this game where the object is wet. The game is trying to render that "wetness" effect using the resolution available. More on this in the conclusion. Game looks pretty good overall, IMO. 

Skyrim @1440 DSR Max Settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlzU1evdUe0

There's a bit of quality/compression loss in this footage. Using over 100 mods, mostly visual, plus Sharpshooter's classic lighting ENB. Game looks great to me and I've always seen the "glimmering" effect on the loading screens whenever a highly detailed metallic object is shown - especially after installing the ENB. It is normal. I don't really see much aliasing in the game except for the blocky shadows which I've not been able to do anything about and is simply part of the game's graphical engine.

Alien Isolation

1080p Max Settings:

4K DSR Max Settings: 

Here you can clearly see the flickering lines on the edges of the objects at the end of the hall. It's prominent in both videos, somewhat reduced but still there in the 4K DSR footage. The flickering is normal for this game and the reason it's happening, I will address in the conclusions. Also notice how when I move to another area where the lighting and objects are different, there's far less of the shimmering.

Dark Souls II

1080p Max Settings: 

4K DSR Max Settings: 

At 1080p you can see the blocky aliasing effects in the moving grass near by and distant fine detailed objects. Can see the same shadow pop-in/out on the rock face as shown in @Cloud7_3's video. At 4K DSR all aliasing effects are pretty much gone, the shadow pop-in is gone and everything looks great. Due to the more simplistic environment and lower level of detail, this game is a good candidate for getting better image quality by using VSR/DSR. 

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

1080p Very High Preset: 

1440p DSR Very High Preset:

Looking at the fencing straight ahead outlining the palace yard (lots of vertical lines) can see a lot of aliasing effects there that simply cannot be helped at 1080p resolutions, unless you basically blur the image. This effect is still there running the game at 1440p DSR  (I couldn't run 4K DSR because the game would crash :P). More on why this is in the conclusion. Also, watch the two flags on the building on the left. They "change" according to the character's proximity to the flags. There is other shadow pop-in/quality shifting as you look around, nothing that really stands out as distracting to me (aside from the flags) and this is all still "normal" for this game. More on all this in the conclusion as well. 

Conclusions

Ok, I will now attempt to address all the "issues" I've pointed out above and why they are actually "normal" graphical phenomenon. 

Shimmering, white dots/lines, etc. as seen in GTA V, Alien Isolation as well as other "aliasing" side effects:

This is a result of the fact that our monitors have lines of pixels of a certain size and when the game is trying to render fine detail like a very thin line of light being reflected, yet the pixels are larger than the detail it's trying to produce, this is what you get. It's really prominent in Alien Isolation for several reasons: the game has a lot of sharp-edged metallic objects with sparse light sources. In real life, you'd see those light sources reflected off all those edges and those reflections would appear as a bright white thin lines. Problem is the pixels are too big to reproduce this effect and you get this "flickering" or dancing dots as the image moves across the lines of pixels on your display. If you don't believe me, try going up close to your monitor until you can see the lines of pixels and you'll see what I'm trying to describe.

Shadow/object pop-in and shadow/object quality shifting:

Most games do not render everything in a given scene at full detail for as far as you can see in the scene. To do so would require a lot more GPU and Vram. Nearly every game has draw distance thresholds as to when shadows and various objects/textures are rendered in full detail. In games like GTA V and AC Syndicate, this is more noticeable. IMO, they should have made this threshold at much further distances than they did (see the flags in my AC Syndicate footage), but that is at the mercy of the game devs and limitations of the graphics engine. Sometimes things like this can be improved by tweaking certain lines in the ini files of some games. To be clear; this is not due to some fault, error or issue with the GPU. It is "normal". In a perfect world, the transition in quality from low to high as you approach objects, textures and shadows in a given scene, should be seamless and unnoticeable. Some games do pull this off much better than others. However, due to various limitations during game development (time constraints vs level of detail in a scene) less seamless transitions is what we get which can often appear with a pop-in effect. Again, with these types of issues, we are at the mercy of how the game is made. 

Final thoughts: 

All the examples I have seen from other people pointing out what they believe to be "new" problems/issues that have supposedly only recently cropped up, have always been there and can be explained/shown to be normal graphical phenomenon as a result of the limitations of the resolution and limitations of the game's graphics engine and settings. I understand some of you are claiming to have never seen these things before, but I am 110% certain these are not "new" problems/issues. Like I said in an earlier post; the combination of being made aware of something that has always been there in addition to the power of suggestion can have a strong effect on some people. You can point something out to some people, something they have never noticed before yet has always been there, and from then on they can never "un-see" it. This is a real thing that can and does happen with some people. To be clear; I'm not saying this is what has happened with all of you. I'm merely suggesting it's possible this is the case with some who are making these claims.    

These things are "real problems/issues" in the sense that as games continue to increase in detail and complexity (AC Syndicate is one of the most beautiful, complex and highly detailed games I've ever played), that puts an increased demand on the level of detail to be rendered, yet the number of pixels does not increase (talking about 1080p specifically). How do you render more detail and complexity with a limited number of pixels? You can't. The inevitable side-effects are the things we have been talking about all this time in this thread. The only real and proper solution is to increase the resolution and pixel density to the point where we can no longer distinguish the individual pixels. Until then, if you're using a 1080p display, you'll just have to get used to it. 

Great explaination , the only thing i sense from yours and skilled video on Alien Isolation , is that the shimmer is less sharpen , but maybe it's all a problem of 'monitor settings' , and in dark souls 2 i see less disturbance through foliage in your video , but it's probably the effect of NVCP working correctly or just good compression (as you see in my case the 1080p dark souls 2 have a bad compression near the frame where the disturb was awful).

Anyway Thanks for sharing that videos , your RIG look like a beast :) i have to admit the 150€ (in my country) of difference from 970 to 980 it's well deserved from what i see , in that same zone of Syndicate i have a 33 medium fps (but maybe in that case is my cpu that cause some bottleneck :( ).

MEC-777, thanks for putting in so much time and effort trying to help us. I agree with the points made in your last post.

However, I want to explain the severity of these things in my case, and how my situation is different than the ones in the videos you posted. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to upload videos so let me try and explain it in words.

Temporal aliasing and pop in ARE normal in games, yes. But in my games, specifically Skyrim and MGS Phantom pain, there is a clearly defined line about five feet in front of and on all sides of my character (for practical purposes I will call it a "render distance box") where everything inside of it is fully rendered and appears as it should. Outside of the box everything is extremely pixelated with EXCESSIVE texture pop in. Let me repeat, THE BOX IS A MERE 5 FEET AROUND MY CHARACTER. I have been playing Skyrim A LOT FOR YEARS on pc and ps3. It is absolutely not a question of just recently noticing it or succumbing to the power of suggestion.  The power of suggestion is not even a factor for me. I did not read forums about this and then start noticing it. I noticed it first and THEN began to seek out forums to see if anyone else was experiencing it.

It looked to me that in your videos the temporal aliasing corrected itself when you were near enough to the object, as it should. In my games I can get so close to an object that I am touching it and it still has lines running through it.

Something is clearly broken. I have tried all forms of aa available on my GTX 970 and my R7 260x. I have altered in game settings. I have activated VSR. I have altered ini files. I have even tried mods. It all seems to get cancelled out as if it never existed. It changes nothing.

This is a hard subject to come to a conclusion on because the problem itself mimics things that are perfectly normal in games, except in these cases the problems are unnaturally worse than what a normally functioning game would show. It's hard for anyone to say where to draw the line for this is normal and this is not. I can't make anyone believe me if their mind is already made up, but something somewhere is broken in these extreme cases.

I want anyone else reading this who is experiencing these extreme conditions (especially the very small "render distance box") to back me up here, or am I the only one who has that particular game breaking issue?

Dude i think the best for u is to upload some video , if your connection is bad , have just 30 seconds of record of the problem , shadowplay is good and only 30 seconds would be just a few mb of video :)

From what i understand from your post you have similar problem like this

i'am right?

If it is that the problem , well i've seen it in many many free roam game (even Syndicate , if you look at the vegetation foliage on the ground in the video i posted above have the same effect of rendering some object only at two three feet from the characters , i can do more video to show if that help) and i think it's a normal anomalies , maybe not the fact you see the 'box' but that could have something to do with the gamma settings or a glitch within the game itself.

Now i don't know about metal gear , sadly i don't own it for now :( :( .

But as for GTA 5 from what i see in Mec Videos it seems some kind of a glitch for a bad configuration or a bad gamma something like that because he didn't have that thing (correct me if i'm wrong @MEC-777).

As for Skyrim well it always had that thing but not so close as you said , i noticed that effect yesterday but it's far enough to easily not notice the effect (if you want i can do a video too for that :) but i have no mod installed :( i don't have the time for that).

Can someone validate it with linux and other OS, i run my gtx 960 on linux and i game some opengl and wine opengl DX wrapper, and i havent notice anything, the rig is about 3 years old now and i am happy with it.

it is not normal! :/ . How? I dont have before to this. After the installed a skyrim's ENB. Then its spread to my laptop...

Can someone validate it with linux and other OS, i run my gtx 960 on linux and i game some opengl and wine opengl DX wrapper, and i havent notice anything, the rig is about 3 years old now and i am happy with it.

Can you make and upload some videos? even short but with clear settings and if you have the game we posted above?

it is not normal! :/ . How? I dont have before to this. After the installed a skyrim's ENB. Then its spread to my laptop...

Dude if you think ENB made that , why you wont try a full format of your PC and even your Laptop if you think that it 'spread' through your laptop too , try formatting , or at least uninstall ENB files from your pc , and then uninstall and reinstall the game , during my investigation it seems absolutely normal the z-fighting on bethesda games, the only thing that can make you think you did not have this before it's because they're not at the same point , sometimes if you simply reinstall your driver graphic card or the game it can be in another spot..

In the meantime another video for the shimmer comparison , Skyrim Loading screen

In the meantime another video for the shimmer comparison

Seems normal, like... what I saw on mine if I remember (currently not installed, will do that 2moz if you want)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Seems normal, like... what I saw on mine if I remember (currently not installed, will do that 2moz if you want)

Yes it seems normal to me too :) when i had the defective HD7770 well it looked worst and have the pixel colouring with red green and blue (rgb yes) , i've posted this only to compare with the other video of that loading some post above , but if you have the time as usual it would be cool having more comparison possibile , so whoever come to this topic can see if they really have something or just the normal anomalies. :)

Hey there , i want to ask for those who have The Phantom Pain if i have to expecting the same crappy image quality at 1080p on the game that Ground Zeroes have , because i think it's one of the worst in image quality (at last on day missions it seems to have serious crappy reflection shadow etc , the night missions seems fine ) , here a video of what i see during day session in ground zeroes.

I think i'm gonna upload it on Mega too because the youtube compression didn't give justice to the crappyness i see lol :D

Dude if you think ENB made that , why you wont try a full format of your PC and even your Laptop if you think that it 'spread' through your laptop too , try formatting , or at least uninstall ENB files from your pc , and then uninstall and reinstall the game , during my investigation it seems absolutely normal the z-fighting on bethesda games, the only thing that can make you think you did not have this before it's because they're not at the same point , sometimes if you simply reinstall your driver graphic card or the game it can be in another spot..

Already I did but nothing has changed. 

That looks like a game glitch, plain and simple. Bethesda games are known for numerous glitches. I would say that is normal for a Bethesda game. I've seen similar things here and there in Fallout 4. 

Hey there , i want to ask for those who have The Phantom Pain if i have to expecting the same crappy image quality at 1080p on the game that Ground Zeroes have , because i think it's one of the worst in image quality (at last on day missions it seems to have serious crappy reflection shadow etc , the night missions seems fine ) , here a video of what i see during day session in ground zeroes.

I think i'm gonna upload it on Mega too because the youtube compression didn't give justice to the crappyness i see lol :D

Looks like a classic case of too much detail with too few pixels to properly display it. There's definitely some wonky graphical things going on with the chain link fence straight ahead near the beginning. I would chalk this up to poor AA filtering within the game settings and or poor optimization, along with lack of pixel density. Not something I would consider the fault of AMD or Nvidia (not an issue with the GPU itself).   

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Already I did but nothing has changed. 

is this happening in other game? i have fallout new vegas in my library but i did not played yet , so i cant make video for now. 

Because if this is not happening in other game (and by other games i mean other than BETHESDA games) well as i said it is a normal common issue that happens to not only you but 100% of pc gamer with that game (and other bethesda games , and some other games , Payday2 suffer from that , Battlefield 4 suffer from that , Far Cry 3 & 4 and the list is very long lol).

Anyway as we said me and other people who got interested on this topic , when you want some explaination on what do you see in your video , remember to post what settings you use in the game (and eventually mods and .ini tweak) , btw from your video i think you are playing on a 16:10 (black lateral bars on youtube)  monitor and probably a 768 resolution (laptop) , have you tried DSR or VSR?If your gpu is capable of that.

Looks like a classic case of too much detail with too few pixels to properly display it. There's definitely some wonky graphical things going on with the chain link fence straight ahead near the beginning. I would chalk this up to poor AA filtering within the game settings and or poor optimization, along with lack of pixel density. Not something I would consider the fault of AMD or Nvidia (not an issue with the GPU itself).   

In the game i have the max settings , i found that a 4K DSR resolution with all HIGH instead of VERY HIGH (except for the shadow & anisotropic filter), solved the 75 % of the problems :) the only thing that persist is a little shimmer on far fences / metal object and a strange bug (i think game glitch) when i have the aim (not iron sight) like it flicker the entire screen (it happens sometimes in the video above) , but the DSR is for sure a great thing , i hope for some better AA in future games (and even on The Phantom Pain maybe).

That looks like a game glitch, plain and simple. Bethesda games are known for numerous glitches. I would say that is normal for a Bethesda game. I've seen similar things here and there in Fallout 4. 

I have to this on many games. Before, its was not in there but after i am installed to skyrim RealVision ENB and some mods after, all problems I have. And then its spread to my laptop with

USB(i think).

I read around a lot of people reporting they got this problem after installing ENB. I never installed ENB and a lot of people with this supposed problem never did as well. So no clue... might be ENB weakens the beast lyin' dormant but is not the only way of doing it? I'm slowly losing my sanity...

Also. Did any of you notice the shimmering/swimming also on videos? Cause i definitely have that on videos as well, at the very least in small windows like youtube. When i get it to go fullscreen it is a lot less noticeable but still there. Is this supposed to happen also on videos?

Let's take a Linus video since we're on Linus forum as an exanple (seems fitting).

Go for example at minute 1.00. Is clearly see the car and the dude np, maybe a bit aliased on some places but that's it. As soon as the camera spins on the car i get the shimmering/swimming aliasing on some (nearly all tbh) car lines and like the dude jacket's lines. If i change the video fullscreen it's nearly unnoticeable. Go to minute 3.30. The black lines on the page behind his shoulders all are flickering/shimmering as the page scrolls down. In fullscreen not so much. Now videos should be pre-rendered right? So either everyone sees it cause that's how the video was made... or something very wrong is at work here, something that can affect pre-rendered stuff... like an electrical problem cause image distortion?  What if people with this shit had an electrical problem in their household that affects monitors and not pcs? But if that was the case an ups should have fixed this... did anyone try ups connected to the monitor and not the pc? Or everyone who tried an ups tried it on the pc only?

(Honestly i might just be scraping the barrel here... but it's hard to believe i never noticed such a big and invasive graphical artifact in 15 years and just started noticing it 2 months ago out of nowhere on every game and video...).

I read around a lot of people reporting they got this problem after installing ENB. I never installed ENB and a lot of people with this supposed problem never did as well. So no clue... might be ENB weakens the beast lyin' dormant but is not the only way of doing it? I'm slowly losing my sanity...

Also. Did any of you notice the shimmering/swimming also on videos? Cause i definitely have that on videos as well, at the very least in small windows like youtube. When i get it to go fullscreen it is a lot less noticeable but still there. Is this supposed to happen also on videos?

Let's take a Linus video since we're on Linus forum as an exanple (seems fitting).

Go for example at minute 1.00. Is clearly see the car and the dude np, maybe a bit aliased on some places but that's it. As soon as the camera spins on the car i get the shimmering/swimming aliasing on some (nearly all tbh) car lines and like the dude jacket's lines. If i change the video fullscreen it's nearly unnoticeable. Go to minute 3.30. The black lines on the page behind his shoulders all are flickering/shimmering as the page scrolls down. In fullscreen not so much. Now videos should be pre-rendered right? So either everyone sees it cause that's how the video was made... or something very wrong is at work here, something that can affect pre-rendered stuff... like an electrical problem cause image distortion?  What if people with this shit had an electrical problem in their household that affects monitors and not pcs? But if that was the case an ups should have fixed this... did anyone try ups connected to the monitor and not the pc? Or everyone who tried an ups tried it on the pc only?

Err dude , you are of my country so don't get mad at what i'm going to telling you , but you are over reacting about everything , the fact that you see the jaggies in 'windowed' video of youtube it's a normal 'rescale' of the 1080p in a space that is absolutely 'overkill' (or maybe UNDERkill lol) for that resolution , in fact if you use 360p 480p and even 720p you can clearly see that the jaggies go away,even at video paused, 

And that's happens because the video is really a 1080p videos , it's in fact always a pixel density 'issue'. And if you don't believe me , find some videos on 4K (uploaded in real 4K) and try to watch that in fullscreen on a 1080p monitor , well in 1080p you see no jaggies , the moment you put the 4K resolution BAM here is all the pixels :).

It's kinda of a 'recompression'.

Oh and the same thing is for that black lines in 3:30 too :)

Err dude , you are of my country so don't get mad at what i'm going to telling you , but you are over reacting about everything , the fact that you see the jaggies in 'windowed' video of youtube it's a normal 'rescale' of the 1080p in a space that is absolutely 'overkill' (or maybe UNDERkill lol) for that resolution , in fact if you use 360p 480p and even 720p you can clearly see that the jaggies go away,even at video paused, 

And that's happens because the video is really a 1080p videos , it's in fact always a pixel density 'issue'. And if you don't believe me , find some videos on 4K (uploaded in real 4K) and try to watch that in fullscreen on a 1080p monitor , well in 1080p you see no jaggies , the moment you put the 4K resolution BAM here is all the pixels :).

Yeah well i mostly just wanted to take this option away as well. Just to be sure. I honestly never noticed it before in videos too... Jesus is this really just a massive "once you see it..."?

Prolly getting a sharper monitor and a Maxwell card (considering the lack of lod clamping in this generation of cards) made it a lot more noticeable if it was always there... but is that really all there is to it? I'll go mad soon :D.

(Honestly i might just be scraping the barrel here... but it's hard to believe i never noticed such a big and invasive graphical artifact in 15 years and just started noticing it 2 months ago out of nowhere on every game and video...).

The response below is exactly right on, and this is a great example to show what is going on in many games that we've been discussing in the last few paged of this thread. This is what I have been saying all a long. Demanding super high levels of detail which is physically not possible to properly represent with a limited number of pixels and too low of pixel density.

^This. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Yeah well i mostly just wanted to take this option away as well. Just to be sure. I honestly never noticed it before in videos too... Jesus is this really just a massive "once you see it..."?

Prolly getting a sharper monitor and a Maxwell card (considering the lack of lod clamping in this generation of cards) made it a lot more noticeable if it was always there... but is that really all there is to it? I'll go mad soon :D.

No that isnt normal.. but these dickheads wont stop before everybody agree with their opinion. Whatever this thread isnt anymore about finding a solution its just some people who dont know shit about it try to convince others that its normal, although they dont experienced it.

Better spam more videos so that cloud7 and the other experts can say the same to all of them :D i guess they can close the thread cause anything helpful wasnt posted for days^^

I can only say it again, i hope these people who dont believe it exists get the problem as well (it wont happen cause thats the way the world is) then they can tell us how "normal" that is.

I find it just impudent cause you claim all people with this problem as idiots, as MarkFMB said he plays video games for 15 years and after 15 years suddenly he sees this shimmering and everything.. very strange.

I know how the same game with same options and hardware looked a half year ago as i played for example arma2 for years and i can distinguish between normal aliasing and these shimmering/flickering with every move so that its unplayable. There was no Update no hardware change, nothing. And its the same on my old Pc that i didnt touche for 2 years, Everybody can do as he pleases, in my opinion there is no need to convince these guys cause they'll find an excuse for everything anyway.

This thread should be about finding a solution for that proplem, although its very hard and the reason for that isnt easy to find, otherwise there would be a solution allready.

I tested my Pc in a friends house and his game(s) looked normal with normal aliasing etc and my games were unplayable as i said. So it cant be the Monitor (as we both used his).

The electricity thing is the most likely cause for that, cause every Pc in our House got the problem. As i said the problem still exists when i took him to my friends house, so if the electricity causes it, it harmes the gpu or whatever permanent.

So i ordered an psu with 700w so it should be enough to protect my pc aswell as my monitor, I also bought a cheap gpu. The plan is to build the gpu into my pc in a friends house to see if its the gpu which is harmed. (If that is the cause the pc should run fine with the new gpu).

After that i would use the pc in my house with the protection of the psu to see if it protects the pc (gpu in that case) of getting damaged.

Have to wait atleast for monday to get both so i'll give an update after the tests.

have a nice day 

the reality, the law of physics that drive the world is subtly changing...

lets gone mad haha :D

No that isnt normal.. but these dickheads wont stop before everybody agree with their opinion. Whatever this thread isnt anymore about finding a solution its just some people who dont know shit about it try to convince others that its normal, although they dont experienced it.

Better spam more videos so that cloud7 and the other experts can say the same to all of them :D i guess they can close the thread cause anything helpful wasnt posted for days^^

I can only say it again, i hope these people who dont believe it exists get the problem as well (it wont happen cause thats the way the world is) then they can tell us how "normal" that is.

I find it just impudent cause you claim all people with this problem as idiots, as MarkFMB said he plays video games for 15 years and after 15 years suddenly he sees this shimmering and everything.. very strange.

I know how the same game with same options and hardware looked a half year ago as i played for example arma2 for years and i can distinguish between normal aliasing and these shimmering/flickering with every move so that its unplayable. There was no Update no hardware change, nothing. And its the same on my old Pc that i didnt touche for 2 years, Everybody can do as he pleases, in my opinion there is no need to convince these guys cause they'll find an excuse for everything anyway.

This thread should be about finding a solution for that proplem, although its very hard and the reason for that isnt easy to find, otherwise there would be a solution allready.

I tested my Pc in a friends house and his game(s) looked normal with normal aliasing etc and my games were unplayable as i said. So it cant be the Monitor (as we both used his).

The electricity thing is the most likely cause for that, cause every Pc in our House got the problem. As i said the problem still exists when i took him to my friends house, so if the electricity causes it, it harmes the gpu or whatever permanent.

So i ordered an psu with 700w so it should be enough to protect my pc aswell as my monitor, I also bought a cheap gpu. The plan is to build the gpu into my pc in a friends house to see if its the gpu which is harmed. (If that is the cause the pc should run fine with the new gpu).

After that i would use the pc in my house with the protection of the psu to see if it protects the pc (gpu in that case) of getting damaged.

Have to wait atleast for monday to get both so i'll give an update after the tests.

have a nice day 

If every video footage example I have seen indicating every specific "problem" pointed out thus far can and has been shown to be normal, what else do you want me to say? It's simply what I have observed. 

About the electricity being the cause is absurd. it really is. The PSU you already had in your PC already protects your components from "dirty power". A problem such as what you are describing simply cannot be caused or "spread" in this manner. I don't know what else to tell you. Unless I can see exactly what you're seeing, I'm left to conclude that which I have been saying throughout the last few pages of this thread. 

Unless you can upload some footage showing us exactly what you're seeing as the "problem", this is where we stand. I can only take your word for it and I can only comment/draw conclusions from that which I have  seen. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler