390 crossfire or Fury X

suchamoneypit

my friend is building a PC, and the most expensive option is to get two R9 390's and crossfire them. I was thinking though, would a single Fury X or even Fury be a better option as they are single cards? I haven't done crossfire before and i'm not sure how the scores will compare. Also, the processor will be a i5-4690k, I dont think this would have any problems running 2 GPUs, am I correct on this assumption?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

390x2 is a hella lot of heat, so i'd just go for a fury x

yeah that was one of my concerns, any idea what 2x R9 390 in crossfire would score in something like firestrike?

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

fury X, and add a second in the future :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Crossfire gives you great benchmark score, to look at. Not too many games to play though.

Go with the Fury X

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Even though two R9 390s will perform better than a Fury X, multi-GPU support isn't present in every game, including the recent Arkham Knight, and sometimes you can have games not work at all due to a Crossfire setup and therefore, it's better to go with a Fury X for compatibility purposes.

Yes, the 4690K is fast enough for two R9 390s.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

yeah that was one of my concerns, any idea what 2x R9 390 in crossfire would score in something like firestrike?

twin 390's should have more raw power then a single 980 ti but the heat output and wattage

Also crossfire isn't supported by every game

another note, the case will be a Rosewill Rise as i've used that case and its a decent budget case. But with this case im having a hard time considering where I would mount the Fury X's radiator, especially if he eventually buys a 2nd one. The CPU will have a 212 Evo on but its only real options are to exhaust directly on the Fury X radiation or blow against the intakes. Any suggestions on layouts or possible a different case in the same price range?

Also thanks for all the super quick input and feedback, LTT forums are awesome.

another note, the case will be a Rosewill Rise as i've used that case and its a decent budget case. But with this case im having a hard time considering where I would mount the Fury X's radiator, especially if he eventually buys a 2nd one. The CPU will have a 212 Evo on but its only real options are to exhaust directly on the Fury X radiation or blow against the intakes. Any suggestions on layouts or possible a different case in the same price range?

One option would be to have the radiator mount in the back with an exhaust fan at the top. I would definitely not blow against the intakes. That won't help at all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

One option would be to have the radiator mount in the back with an exhaust fan at the top. I would definitely not blow against the intakes. That won't help at all.

on the 212 evo, isn't my only option to have in blow air either towards the front of the case or the back? I didn't think when I installed one for a friend that I could rotate the main block as then the heatpipes would interfere with the bracket that mounts it to the motherboard.

I thought that an easy solution would be an AIO liquid cooler just exhaust it but with a budget for the cooler around 40-50$ I didnt think i could get a decent dual radiator cooler and a single radiator cooler would look weird as on the top there is space for 2 fans.

on the 212 evo, isn't my only option to have in blow air either towards the front of the case or the back? I didn't think when I installed one for a friend that I could rotate the main block as then the heatpipes would interfere with the bracket that mounts it to the motherboard.

I believe it'll still mount even with the cooler sideways, though you might want to verify that. The mounting bracket is adjustable.

Also thanks for all the super quick input and feedback, LTT forums are awesome.

With a C70 case and a 290 and 390 in crossfire my starting case temperatures were 51c. Not GPU or CPU, the air in the case. Now I got that down to 35c, but it took some work. And your case temps won't care if another fan isn't ion the budget.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I´d go for the Fury X because a powerful single GPU is always better than 2 weaker GPUs in CF or SLI. CF or SLI is only to recommend for enthusiasts, benchmarkers and such that are in need of the extra juice for 4K or 5K.

EDIT: And for me personally SLI or CF makes only sense with highend chips then.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling