The 390(non X) will be better than a 980, Fury, and Fury X within the next two years.

KarateHottie93

Mark my words. By the middle of 2017 the high end 4GB cards will be significantly bottlenecked by the VRAM enough to where they handle the games coming out then at 1080P on medium settings at best. The 390 will cruise on by at it's full ability though cause it's got an adequate VRAM/GPU power ratio.

Just saying...

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Mark my words. By the middle of 2017 the high end 4GB cards will be significantly bottlenecked by the VRAM enough to where they handle the games coming out then at 1080P on medium settings at best. The 390 will cruise on by at it's full ability though cause it's got an adequate VRAM/GPU power ratio.

Just saying...

K.

We'll see about that.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

doubt the 8gb is even usable but ok

Why wouldn't it be? It is on my 390.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

*sigh* If there was only at least a 3GB version of my GTX 650ti, and a GTX 970 with 6GB full speed vRAM. I'd have bought both of them-I'm already finding games that max out the vRAM on my 2GB GTX650ti before I even max out its GPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Within the next two years, many enthusiasts will already have purchased (or will be considering) their next GPU, rendering the entire argument completely moot by that stage.

Just saying.

you managed to use all 8 on your card?

Well it has a 512 bit mem bus.. I can't see why it can't use all 8GB at once :)

Within the next two years, many enthusiasts will already have purchased (or will be considering) their next GPU, rendering the entire argument completely moot by that stage.

Just saying.

And I'll be sat here next to my lovely little (big) 290 c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

you managed to use all 8 on your card?

Ah sorry. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that it was another 970, that some of the VRAM wasn't really usable (970's last 512MB). All the VRAM is usable, but I've never used it all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

if i find the video i will send it you 

linus or jayz was talking about it probably not being able to the 8gb "not unlocked". dont quote me on that

Ah sorry. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that it was another 970, that some of the VRAM wasn't really usable (970's last 512MB). All the VRAM is usable, but I've never used it all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Guess i was wrong

considering most games are console ports nowadays, and almost never have high rez textures even when ported, I think it unlikely that what you (OP) said will ever happen.

Besides even if it did, any PC gamer or PC Enthusiast will just buy current generation GPU of that time anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I think that there'll be an increase in both Vram Usage and speed necessary - Vram usage will need more than 4GB, but the speed also will need to be above a certain threshold. Unless a card has enough memory speed, then the 8GB will be useless. In the end, this'll probably mean the 390 will become slightly better than the 4GB cards, but only for a very short window before it too succumbs to the comparatively slow speed of GDDR5.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

if i find the video i will send it you 

linus or jayz was talking about it probably not being able to the 8gb "not unlocked". dont quote me on that

Crossfire says hi, and asked me to tell you you're in their chair.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Crossfire says hi, and asked me to tell you you're in their chair.

dont get it

you must be above me

The only game I have that will get close to 4GB usage is GTA V for me, but that game has some serious issues with conserving vRAM, and it uses vRAM for shadows. (1080p, Ultra settings)

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Shadow of Mordor maxed says hi

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Would it just be the case of Games made (still made on/for PC but focusing on consoles primarily) and the UNIFIED memory system that the consoles have, making PC porting worse in regards to Vram requirements.?

Seems it got majorly worse (vram reqs) after the console had landed and games since their launch.... not all, but some, seem to be vram bloated, and I'm wondering if thats cos the game was made around the idea of Unified Memory systems like how the consoles function.

Genuinely curious.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Would it just be the case of Games made (still made on/for PC but focusing on consoles primarily) and the UNIFIED memory system that the consoles have, making PC porting worse in regards to Vram requirements.?

Seems it got majorly worse (vram reqs) after the console had landed and games since their launch.... not all, but some, seem to be vram bloated, and I'm wondering if thats cos the game was made around the idea of Unified Memory systems like how the consoles function.

Genuinely curious.

The PS4 is the only one with unified memory iirc.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

doubt the 8gb is even usable but ok

also isnt gddr5?

Really, it's not usable? That's funny. There are cards from a decade ago though would still be viable at 720P if they had more than 200MB's memory.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!