Fallout 4 GPU and CPU usage

mapegl

IMG 20151129 133325355

Why are neither my GPU nor my CPU used to full potential. I was expecting at least one of the two reaching about 100%. This doesn't happen all the time, but more often than I would like resulting in <20 fps quite often.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Why are neither my GPU nor my CPU used to full potential. I was expecting at least one of the two reaching about 100%. This doesn't happen all the time, but more often than I would like resulting in <20 fps quite often.

Can you provide a screenshot of the utilizations?

Sig under construction.

My max gpu usage was 100 (but the fluctuations were real) and max cpu usage was 82.

Just putting it out there

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Are you using the latest GPU drivers?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Go to your Nvidia control panel and set prerendered frames to be at least 2.

Assuming that you have an Nvidia card, not sure for AMD.

50% chance this is going to solve the problem, but usually fallout games have this prerendered thing only at 1.

I have the same issue, pretty sure it's just a problem with the game and nothing to do with your (or my) set-up. 

What helped a little for me is i disabled V-Sync and then capped my frame rate using Nvidia inspector. (But you have a 290)

Can you provide a screenshot of the utilizations?

Thank you for your response, but you need to specify that, since I think that's what I just did. You can see CPU, GPU and RAM utilization.

Are you using the latest GPU drivers?

Thank you , butI am using the latest drivers.

50% chance this is going to solve the problem, but usually fallout games have this prerendered thing only at 1.

AMD GPU, so thank you but I can't.

I have the same issue, pretty sure it's just a problem with the game and nothing to do with your (or my) set-up. 

What helped a little for me is i disabled V-Sync and then capped my frame rate using Nvidia inspector. (But you have a 290)

Interesting idea. I will try that, thanks. I know there is a similar option for Crimson Software.

Can be driver related, or optimization/support for your hw issues.  If the first then update your GPU driver, but if the second then you're gunna have to wait for the devs to fix the optimization issue.

Thanks, and yeah might just be the great optimization work......why have a quad-core when games are so badly optimized you could play them on a single core and don't notice a difference....

...but I love Fallout 4. Oh well.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Yeah he has a 290 based on his signature, so it is likely the new drivers messing up I remember @App4that mentioning issues in response to a new feature amd added for freesync or something, as he wished they'd just focus on fixing those instead (Crimson drivers BTW)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

You have a CPU bottleneck that's caused by a combination of things: D3D11 API (DX11), AMD driver having high CPU overhead, and the CPU itself being slow. CPU usage can be tricky, so it's best to identify CPU bottleneck by looking at GPU usage. 

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

You have a CPU bottleneck that's caused by a combination of things: D3D11 API (DX11), AMD driver having high CPU overhead, and the CPU itself being slow. CPU usage can be tricky, so it's best to identify CPU bottleneck by looking at GPU usage. 

I am running a 2500k at 4.5 Ghz. How is there a bottleneck?

I mean sure, it is an "older" i5, but I have never had that issue in any game before, CPU-bound or not. The 2500k is still very capable, especially at that OC.

I mean if you can tell me how to find out, if I really have that bottleneck I would be very thankful.

I mean sure, it is an "older" i5, but I have never had that issue in any game before, CPU-bound or not. The 2500k is still very capable, especially at that OC.

I mean if you can tell me how to find out, if I really have that bottleneck I would be very thankful.

There is no way you have a cpu  bottleneck, that cpu is still fine, and your cpu usage isn't 100% while playing, like I said it might be driver, I'd help more but I don't have an amd card to troubleshoot with. What's you ram speed for reference, as that can be an issue for some people in fallout. NVM 1866 is fine (I think  :huh: )

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I have a very similar problem. I've been able to get better utilization out of my GPU and CPU by overclocking my RAM, problem is every time a new driver or Windows update releases it messes with my results. When Crimson first released I had perfect performance and the compass in game was glitching. Fixing the compass took my performance to day one. Still working on it myself.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I have a very similar problem. I've been able to get better utilization out of my GPU and CPU by overclocking my RAM, problem is every time a new driver or Windows update releases it messes with my results. When Crimson first released I had perfect performance and the compass in game was glitching. Fixing the compass took my performance to day one. Still working on it myself.

To what did you overclock your RAM? Mine is at 1866

To what did you overclock your RAM? Mine is at 1866

I was able to hit 2400mhz but saw no benefit, my timings sucked. So I'm back to 1866 myself and it seems to help. Been looking at picking up a set of 2400 with better timings if the prices hold until Tuesday when I get paid.

Even at 4.5 GHz, it doesn't have good enough single-core performance to not bottleneck your GPU. Rendering is single-threaded under D3D11 API, so single-thread performance matters in draw call heavy games. You'd need a 6700K, and perhaps even OC it, to get good and stable framerate in Fallout 4. The fact that you have an AMD GPU doesn't help either, as AMD driver has even lower draw call troughput than Nvidia driver.

In addition to that, MT performance of that CPU isn't good either. So you can easily run into bottlenecks other than the rendering thread.

Edit: And obviously faster RAM will improve performance in CPU-intensive games, but you're not going to jump from 30 to 60 fps just by getting faster RAM.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Turn shadow distance and God rays to medium if you haven't already. Your CPU/RAM are fine. I have a 4690K at stock 3.9 and runs the game solid 60 with everything maxed besides those two settings.

Turn shadow distance and God rays to medium if you haven't already. Your CPU/RAM are fine. I have a 4690K at stock 3.9 and runs the game solid 60 with everything maxed besides those two settings.

Ok that didn't help. Thank you anyways. Apparently my system is stupid.

No reason to reduce God Rays other than taste, they do nothing. Only Shadow distance will solve it in most cases. And that's because the medium shadow distance is the setting made for consoles, just so you know.

Ok that didn't help. Thank you anyways. Apparently my system is stupid.

Go on the Nexus and use a performance mod, you'll only lose a little detail but will have all the fps you could want.

Fallout is the same way for me. The game is capped at 60fps stock so my GPU will normally rest at ~50%. Keeps it cool and quiet.

I build PCs as a hobby.