Do monitors REALLY need to be the same model for nvidia surround?

Octavialicious

Hey folks, I'm planning on doing a nvidia surround setup. I was watching Linus' surround guide, and he said they should be the same model for it to work the best. I get it's recommended, but I was just hoping it would still work.

The monitors in question are all 28" so I'd reckon they should line up correctly :) Thanks!

P.S. if you're wondering why the monitors are different, I wanted a 4K display for the main one, and obviously when I want to do surround I will turn it down to 1080p ;)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Hey folks, I'm planning on doing a nvidia surround setup. I was watching Linus' surround guide, and he said they should be the same model for it to work the best. I get it's recommended, but I was just hoping it would still work.

The monitors in question are all 28" so I'd reckon they should line up correctly :) Thanks!

P.S. if you're wondering why the monitors are different, I wanted a 4K display for the main one, and obviously when I want to do surround I will turn it down to 1080p ;)

I think its to do with the bezel thickness.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

nope, its just recommended they all have the same resolution (I've seen a person with a 4k panel in the center, 2 1080s on the side and a 1440 on top so it shouldn't matter much)

The software doesn't care if they're the same model or not. It works. But you can really only compensate for one bezel thickness so if they're not identical in that regard, you'll have some trouble. Also the variance between the color temperature and brightness between displays of the same model is annoying enough, let alone if the displays aren't identical models. 

nope, its just recommended they all have the same resolution (I've seen a person with a 4k panel in the center, 2 1080s on the side and a 1440 on top so it shouldn't matter much)

Sounds just like jaystwocents xD

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

They need to be the same resolution for surround. You can have multiple monitors set up like that (I have it similar to that), but for surround, the three monitors need to be set to the same resolution. 

The software doesn't care if they're the same model or not. It works. But you can really only compensate for one bezel thickness so if they're not identical in that regard, you'll have some trouble. Also the variance between the color temperature and brightness between displays of the same model is annoying enough, let alone if the displays aren't identical models. 

Nope, it just needs to be the same resolution set on all of them.

Thanks all! The two ones surrounding the middle one are the same, so I should be able to adjust the bezel thickness speaking each monitor is the same distance apart right?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Nope, you definitely don't need the same monitors. I once tried it with a TV, a 1080p monitor, and a 1200p monitor at 1080, and it worked, after I had changed the polarity on one. Worked fine.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Thanks all! The two ones surrounding the middle one are the same, so I should be able to adjust the bezel thickness speaking each monitor is the same distance apart right?

You can even have a different bezel thickness thingy for both! :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Yup. It's gonna be awesome! And super taxing on your setup. But awesome. :D

Yep. When you set up surround, there is an option to create a custom resolution to account for the bezels. 

Same model? No. Same resolution? Yes.

Source: my own setup.

Which games do you think are great to play with surround? I have some left over cash and I want to buy some games whilst they're all on sale :D

Which games do you think are great to play with surround? I have some left over cash and I want to buy some games whilst they're all on sale :D

Any racing game plays amazingly in surround. Shooters tend to stretch the image so I wouldn't recommend them even though it does still look ok.

I should also note most games will need a fix to work probably you can get the program by searching for surround fixer.

The same resolution and refresh rate the rest as far as I know doesn't matter. I previously run a surround setup with 2 different monitors, a Dell IPS in the centre and two samsung TNs on the side so I know it works with mixed monitors but with the same resolution and the refresh rate I believe also has to be the same. Just be a little bit careful around the 59.97 and 60.00 hz differences on monitors, that can be a problem when mixing.

For Gsync monitors, they must be the exact same NATIVE resolution and refresh rate, because Gsync monitors do NOT have hardware scalers, so they can't run at a lower display scaled resolution below native.

For non gsync monitors, they must be at the same resolution DISPLAY SCALED on all monitors, but you can create custom EDID overrides to run the high resolution monitors at the same resolution of the lower resolution monitors. e.g. you can surround a 2560x1440 and two 1920x1080 monitors by creating an EDID override of 1920x1080 for the 1440p monitor.

You can't do this for gsync monitors as every "lower" resolution than native on gsync monitors is GPU SCALED--thus using native resolution only.