Is 720p REALLY that bad?

cleb

I've been browsing through the general forum lately as a time passer and noticed that whenever it comes up that somebody has a 720p monitor it's followed by "upgrade your monitor" or "you're only playing at console resolutions dude might as well xbone", ect. I get that 1080p gaming is a better experience and all but does it ruin an experience so much that you should budget for a better monitor instead of just building a better computer? I'm only really asking because i'm curious if the 720p hate I see could just be a sort of hit on consoles more than a statement of experience difference. 

on a 21" screen its more than enough

viewed from coutch distance on something like a 32" tv its more than enough

having 1080p + on coutch distance with 32" is like having 5k at phone distance (stupid z5)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Nah, it's fine. It's just not as good as 1080p.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I hate 720p

My eyes can notice suddle difference and stuff like that

My eye doctor said I'm the first person he had who can tell very minor differences between resolutions that most people cant see

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Nope, It's all about viewing distance and pixel density, I have both a 768 and 1080p 32 inch tv and from 6ft away (where the 1080 sits in my room) it would be hard to tell the difference

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

720p really isn't nice IMO, I would take 1080p with lower settings over 720p with the settings turned up. The jump from 720p to 1080p is pretty substantial IMO stepping up from 1080p isn't as much of a change (until your screen gets much bigger than your average computer screen).

I remember back in the late 90s/early 2000s going to 1600x1200 (kind of the non-widescreen equivalent of 1080p) when 1280x1024 was standard and being blown away by the improvement (and that would have been on a 17" or 19" screen, cant remember now ;)).

Well in my opinion with how I use monitors it is EXTREMELY bad because I have a 27in monitor right in front of my face and this one is 1080p and it still looks horrible, I will be buying a 1440p monitor soonly.

Well in my opinion with how I use monitors it is EXTREMELY bad because I have a 27in monitor right in front of my face and this one is 1080p and it still looks horrible, I will be buying a 1440p monitor soonly.

Good choice, good choice. 27 inch and 1440P looks greeeeaaaat!!!

CPU:Intel Core i7-5930K @4.5GGPU: 2 of MSI R9 390X GAMING 8G Graphics Card crossfire   Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99    Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz  SSD:2 of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB WatercoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100i GTX  CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T   PSU: EVGA 1000 P2  80+platinum  Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB black Monitor: LG277MU67 4K IPS FREESYNC

720p really isn't nice IMO, I would take 1080p with lower settings over 720p with the settings turned up. The jump from 720p to 1080p is pretty substantial IMO stepping up from 1080p isn't as much of a change (until your screen gets much bigger than your average computer screen).

I remember back in the late 90s/early 2000s going to 1600x1200 (kind of the non-widescreen equivalent of 1080p) when 1280x1024 was standard and being blown away by the improvement (and that would have been on a 17" or 19" screen, cant remember now ;)).

I hate 720p

My eyes can notice suddle difference and stuff like that

My eye doctor said I'm the first person he had who can tell very minor differences between resolutions that most people cant see

on a 21" screen its more than enough

viewed from coutch distance on something like a 32" tv its more than enough

having 1080p + on coutch distance with 32" is like having 5k at phone distance (stupid z5)

Personally I feel that it's just a personal choice and that some people just like to give others a hard time about it. Some people might just really need the clarity and density. I have a 1600x900 monitor (somewhere between) and I feel the resolution works fine. I'd rather spend money on a new card just so I can run games better (or at all) than a new monitor any time soon.

All depends on your monitor size. 720P, 1080P, refers to how many pixels horizontal and vertical on the display. If you keep increasing the display size, the number of pixels isn't going to increase, what's going to increase is the size of each individual pixel. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

It looks bad, and this Is coming from someone who plays consoles aswell, If you play a game at 720p without AA you'll see how shitty It Is....

the diagram is probably off in some respects

Well for monitors you're talking 1-2 ft. maximum. So the diagram is irrelevant since it's really vague in that area.

@cleb, yes it is. With 720p there is no way you can have a gameplay experience that is without substantial jaggies. You also lack detail and if the game isn't designed for console the UI is mostly unintelligible.

I used to use 720p. Then I switched to 1080 and can't go back.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Personally I feel that it's just a personal choice and that some people just like to give others a hard time about it. Some people might just really need the clarity and density. I have a 1600x900 monitor (somewhere between) and I feel the resolution works fine. I'd rather spend money on a new card just so I can run games better (or at all) than a new monitor any time soon.

You always have to match hardware, if your stuck on a GT210 or something the yes getting a better graphics card will me much more benificial than getting a 1080p screen but these days even an entry level gaming card can handle 1080p so as long as you have a basic gaming setup I definitly feel the investment in a 1080p screen is worth it (particularly with how cheap they are these days).

You always have to match hardware, if your stuck on a GT210 or something the yes getting a better graphics card will me much more benificial than getting a 1080p screen but these days even an entry level gaming card can handle 1080p so as long as you have a basic gaming setup I definitly feel the investment in a 1080p screen is worth it.

That's a fair point. 

Depends on the game and distance. In battlefront for instance, you loose a lot of detail on the xbone because 720p is nlt enough to capture every detail the game has to offer. Witcher 3 is probably similar. My laptop is 768p and I can tell the difference to my 1440p screen in games where I set the same graphic details.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

You always have to match hardware, if your stuck on a GT210 or something the yes getting a better graphics card will me much more benificial than getting a 1080p screen but these days even an entry level gaming card can handle 1080p so as long as you have a basic gaming setup I definitly feel the investment in a 1080p screen is worth it (particularly with how cheap they are these days).

I would then argue about the pixel density and the performance to run higher resolutions. A 1600x900 monitor pretty much sells at 19.5 inches whilst the highest pixel density monitor you can get for 1080p is 21.5 inches. I don't particularly know how much of a visual difference there is with the upgrade of 94 PPI vs 102 PPI but I know 85 PPI (my 15 inch CRT monitor) to 106 PPI (my 1600x900 laptop at 17.3 inches) is only a slight bump up in clearness so I'm expecting negligible differences from 94 to 102 PPI. Because of this, he would've unnecessarily increased his processing requirements by 44% due to 44% more pixels. Would the performance trade-off be worth it in his case for the hardware he invested in? No it wouldn't, his system would have a lot more value for the money if he stays where he is and just upgrades. 1440p and 4k now would be better upgrade choices in his case where image clarity is concerned

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

Anything smaller than 20 inches a 720p is fine larger than 20 1080p is better.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Depends on the screen size and distance from your eyes. There is nothing wrong with 720p, but depending on screen size, view distance, and how much pixel density bugs you, it can be a nusence. At normal tv viewing distance, I have no issue with 720p most of the time. I couldn't tell it apart from 1080p unless it was side by side. At normal computer monitor distance, I don't like it, as I like big screens with high pixel density. I love my 27" 1440p screen. It's my personal sweet spot.

I would then argue about the pixel density and the performance to run higher resolutions. A 1600x900 monitor pretty much sells at 19.5 inches whilst the highest pixel density monitor you can get for 1080p is 21.5 inches. I don't particularly know how much of a visual difference there is with the upgrade of 94 PPI vs 102 PPI but I know 85 PPI (my 15 inch CRT monitor) to 106 PPI (my 1600x900 laptop at 17.3 inches) is only a slight bump up in clearness so I'm expecting negligible differences from 94 to 102 PPI. Because of this, he would've unnecessarily increased his processing requirements by 44% due to 44% more pixels. Would the performance trade-off be worth it in his case for the hardware he invested in? No it wouldn't, his system would have a lot more value for the money if he stays where he is and just upgrades. 1440p and 4k now would be better upgrade choices in his case where image clarity is concerned

But the OP is about 720p vs 1080p so even at 20" you are going from ~73ppi to ~110ppi which is quite substantial and that's when you are talking about what is by todays standards a small monitor.

No, it's decent, but it's the minimum I can realistically deal with for regular use.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Its fine under 15"

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.