Whos winning the GPU war? (no bias, no flame war)

Mohenjo

In my opinion, i believe that AMD is winning, there Mid teir cards wreck nvidias mid teirs IE 960 < 380 970 < 390. and the MID teir seems to be the most commonly bought GPUs. Nvidia might be winning in the high teir with there 980 ti but the 980 and titan x are simply not worth buying (especially with the 390x being 100 dollars cheaper). i dunno, i think this GEN nvidia kinda soiled it, even though i used NVIDIA gpus my whole life. 

lets please have a civil discussion, i want to have one of these without a flame war 

MADE A POLL ON @Textosterone Request 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

AMD IMO

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

In my opinion, i believe that AMD is winning

What happened to the no bias?

Amd imo

Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one - Emmett Lathrop "DocBrown 

What happened to the no bias?

i meant no bias as in fanboying. im stating facts here 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

I think that when it comes to AMD it was their radeon cards that caught on in older generations of computer, shipped with hundreds of models; so the people they've been catering to are already looking at mid-tier; so if that really is true it makes sense

Shipping sucks

I believe that AMD is winning as well:

as OP stated, 390 and 380 are better than their GTX eqivalents, and this also applies to the Fury VS GTX 980, or the 390x versus the 980.

HOWEVER: one cannot forget that the 980ti is still better than the Fury X.

IMO i go AMD because of HBM technology, which can be further expanded. also the nano is baller AF

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

can u make this a poll?

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Smaller picture - AMD

Bigger picture - Nvidia

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

According to statistics nVidia unfortunately but AMD is slowly creeping up

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

What you're asking is impossible on many levels.

also, inb4 locked thread,

also, it depends on the price range,

also, it depends on compute applications

also, it depends on the fanboys.

$200-300 price range, AMD wipes the floor with everything. $500 it's a tie, $600 Nvidia edges out. But that'll change with DX12.

Currently in OpenCL and compute performance, AMD crushes Nvidia.

But Nvidia still dominates the market because... marketing to mindless fanboys.

i would say nvidia consider amd is going down the tubes right now 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

We are.

In my opinion, i believe that AMD is winning, there Mid teir cards wreck nvidias mid teirs IE 960 < 380 970 < 390. and the MID teir seems to be the most commonly bought GPUs. Nvidia might be winning in the high teir with there 980 ti but the 980 and titan x are simply not worth buying (especially with the 390x being 100 dollars cheaper). i dunno, i think this GEN nvidia kinda soiled it, even though i used NVIDIA gpus my whole life. 

lets please have a civil discussion, i want to have one of these without a flame war 

objectively nvidia because they have more market share?

In my opinion, i believe that AMD is winning, there Mid teir cards wreck nvidias mid teirs IE 960 < 380 970 < 390. and the MID teir seems to be the most commonly bought GPUs. Nvidia might be winning in the high teir with there 980 ti but the 980 and titan x are simply not worth buying (especially with the 390x being 100 dollars cheaper. i dunno, i think this GEN nvidia kinda soiled it, even though i used NVIDIA gpus my whole life. 

Depends on what you mean by "winning" currently amd is winning the mid tier in performance true but they kinda shot themselves in the foot economically due to their drivers being the reason they were lagging with the 2xx series, thus is the reason why they currently are losing  82 to 18 in market share, their money woes are creating more money woes for them.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Idk what to say about you guys, but an R9 390 is almost $100 more than a 970 here (depends on the vendor though) .

Don't think that would be worth it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I think that AMD cards are going to be performing much better under DX12, so it may be AMD soon.

LOWER TIERS NOBODY CARES ABOUT

R7 370 VERSUS GTX 950  AMD wins

R9 380 VERSUS GTX 960  AMD wins

R9 390 VERSUS GTX 970  AMD wins

R9 Fury/R9 390x VERSUS GTX 980  AMD wins both ways

anything higher, NVidia takes it. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

the fastest card right now is a fury x soooo. for gaming anyway

Idk what to say about you guys, but an R9 390 is almost $100 more than a 970 here (depends on the vendor though) .

Don't think that would be worth it.

Yeah that is another problem for them, nvidia has better global distribution so in certain areas amd can't compete well

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

LOWER TIERS NOBODY CARES ABOUT

R7 370 VERSUS GTX 950  AMD wins

R9 380 VERSUS GTX 960  AMD wins

R9 390 VERSUS GTX 970  AMD wins

R9 Fury/R9 390x VERSUS GTX 980  AMD wins both ways

anything higher, NVidia takes it. 

not a 980ti vs a fury x though

hence the "anything higher"

Solitaire. 

What do you mean the 980ti beats the furyx if you don't disable it's gpu boost feature, or if it is after market in general which is what everyone buys, which is a higher tier than the others he mentioned