GTX980ti Which one?

Mattch23

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting a 980ti when I get paid next and doing some research on them, I was just wondering which ones you'd recommend / have experience with?

I was doing a quick look on part picker and for example you have the MSI one at a base clock of 1.18 for £538, but then you have a Asus Strix with a base clock of 1.22 for £552 is that extra .12 worth the extra £14?

Anything else I should be considering as well or any other input?

Thanks!

Edit: Current build for reference: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/7TVCTW

I really like my ASUS STRIX OC. I have it at 1.45GHz and the fans don't even start spinning up until it hits 60C. 

post-233981-0-75062600-1447685575.png

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Good mix of manufacturers, my current card is a Gigabyte and I haven't had any real issues with it.  Was looking at the evga + msi ones as well as I've heard good things about both. 

My big issues now I guess is how much impact does the clock speed have (Say from my original example of 1.18 to 1.22) is it that noticeable or not really something to be to worried about?

I was just wondering which ones you'd recommend / have experience with?

i have the ASUS strix 980ti do not buy that one it's hot, it's heavy, it's long the fans are loud and cheap...

i should have bought the Gaming 6G from MSI i had experience with the TwinFrozr 4 cooler on my previous GPU which was amazing and the TwinFrozr5 is even better...the ASUS strix is total trash, don,t buy that one.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

-snip-

Dont shop after clockspeeds GPUboost isnt gonna let it sit there anyways

and you are going to overclock right, RIGHT?!

I really like my ASUS STRIX OC. I have it at 1.45GHz and the fans don't even start spinning up until it hits 60C. 

REALLY?! i mean yes they dont spin when on the desktop but as soon as you launch a game it goes up to 80c in a few minutes and you have to run 60% fanspeed and then they sound like a air dryer (litteraly) you havnt noticed any of that?!

i havnt been THAT dispointed by a video card in a VERY long time...i deeply regret my purchase.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Good mix of manufacturers, my current card is a Gigabyte and I haven't had any real issues with it.  Was looking at the evga + msi ones as well as I've heard good things about both. 

My big issues now I guess is how much impact does the clock speed have (Say from my original example of 1.18 to 1.22) is it that noticeable or not really something to be to worried about?

There is a GTX 980ti card from MSI+Gigabyte. They made an watercooled GPU.

http://www.msi.com/product/graphics-card/GTX-980Ti-SEA-HAWK.html#hero-overview

Dont shop after clockspeeds GPUboost isnt gonna let it sit there anyways

and you are going to overclock right, RIGHT?!

Well I'm a complete and utter scrub when it comes to OC'ing so I've never really given it a try properly in fear of damaging my shiny new expensive card :'( 

There is a GTX 980ti card from MSI+Gigabyte. They made an watercooled GPU.

http://www.msi.com/product/graphics-card/GTX-980Ti-SEA-HAWK.html#hero-overview

MSI + Corsair*.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

REALLY?! i mean yes they dont spin when on the desktop but as soon as you launch a game it goes up to 80c in a few minutes and you have to run 60% fanspeed and then they sound like a air dryer (litteraly) you havnt noticed any of that?!

i havnt been THAT dispointed by a video card in a VERY long time...i deeply regret my purchase.

Nah. The fans that came on my H105 drown out the other fan sounds.  :P

Anyway, I like white noise, so I have a dehumidifier running constantly. I don't hear the fans, anyway.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Gaming ? get MSI Gaming, OC ? get MSI Lightning / ASUS Matrix

fans don't even start spinning up until it hits 60C. 

thats not really cool right now, because nearly every brand got that kind of thing :( /sad

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Gaming ? get MSI Gaming, OC ? get MSI Lightning / ASUS Matrix

thats not really cool right now, because nearly every brand got that kind of thing :( /sad

I run them at 100% whenever it's on. My lowest temp was 21C on the core.

I run them at 100% whenever it's on. My lowest temp was 21C on the core.

my fan curve is set to 0rpm until 50° and then i let it spin up to 30% and temps go down to like 27°       

owning a evga 980ti sc+ acx 2.0+ ;)

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

So starting to narrow it down, still looking for pricing on the seahawk but at the moment I'm looking at these 3 (otherwise I'll be here all day being indecisive as usual)

MSI 6G  / EVGA SC+ / Gigabyte 6GD

Am i going in the right direction with these 3 or?

So starting to narrow it down, still looking for pricing on the seahawk but at the moment I'm looking at these 3 (otherwise I'll be here all day being indecisive as usual)

MSI 6G  / EVGA SC+ / Gigabyte 6GD

Am i going in the right direction with these 3 or?

MSI Gaming 6G if you don't mind the red on the card it's a flawless cooler.