Windows 10 upgrades to happen automatically

SmittyShmee

Well now I know what I am going to be seeing at work 90% of the time... I have 7 right now and if one day I come home and see 10 is on my system shit is going to hit the fan.

ALSO how about my laptop that has 7 but the GPU is not supported under Windows 10? (I have 2 laptops with this problem) seriously both Microsoft and Apple have been making some stupid moves lately...  

WIn10 will work on your system. I used the preview on a Dell Inspiron 1720 the whole time. An even had the released version on it before the motherboard gave out (and no it was not due to Win10 it was of old age, the laptop was 10+ years old)

Did you try Windows 7/8 drivers? Did you try running the setup under compatibility mode? Did you try getting the extracted drivers (.zip -> extract), and install them via device manager?

I manage to install GeForce Go 7200 just fine under Win10.

^^^What he said.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Windows 7 doesn't fully support UEFI system. They are many systems you can't get UEFI to work on it with Windows 7. (critical hardware BSOD error at startup happens or gets stuck), while no problem under Windows 8 and up.

The "BSOD error" seems like a cop-out answer because Windows 7 does support it. If there are errors then it is probably related to some very particular motherboards or software setups.

All I find when I try and Google it are solutions to issues, all of which seem to be successful. Things like this. Without some broad statistics or technical description it is nothing more than anecdotal evidence though. In fact, I could be saying the opposite from personal experience. I tried to install Windows 10 on my friend's computer and during the Windows 10 install it could not load the storage driver. So we had to install Windows 7 first and then upgrade (luckily she got a DreamSpark account so she had access to all versions of Windows). I am not the only one that has happened to either. But like with the UEFI and Windows 7 issues you referred to, it's rare things which might happen on some systems and there are fixes for it.

Also, Windows 7 does not support UEFI Fast Boot, not Secure Boot.

Can't argue against that. The missing support for GOP is why it doesn't support Fast Boot and that's a real shame. As for secure boot, it's not really a major loss. In fact, the lack of support for Secure Boot might even be a good thing now that Microsoft will allow OEMs to remove user control over it (which could lead to you not being allowed to install whichever OS you want on your own computer). I like the idea of secure boot, but I would rather not have it at all than to have it abused to hurt consumers.

WIn10 will work on your system. I used the preview on a Dell Inspiron 1720 the whole time. An even had the released version on it before the motherboard gave out (and no it was not due to Win10 it was of old age, the laptop was 10+ years old)

^^^What he said.

I'll give it a try on the 7300 Go system and see if it works, I do know i'm at almost a complete loss with the HP Compaq with a X1250 or similar, way to many problem with that  :blink:

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Give Win10 the first year to Iron out the bugs and get itself together.

This is not much different than any other release of Windows. It takes about a year to get it up to snuff. We all know this.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'll give it a try on the 7300 Go system and see if it works, I do know i'm at almost a complete loss with the HP Compaq with a X1250 or similar, way to many problem with that  :blink:

The nice about the install is it does detect whether or not has to install as a 32 or 64 bit install.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The nice about the install is it does detect whether or not has to install as a 32 or 64 bit install.

Ya all of the systems are more than capable of running 10 but the video driver thing is quite a pain in the ass and really should not be that way since systems like these laptops are perfectly fine for me and most average media consumers/web browsers for example, don't even get me started with scanners and printers  <_< Guess I will give it a try again and see were it goes since this will most likely be what type of jobs we get in at work in the future, more money I guess  :mellow:

All versions of Windows from XP onward had data collection. Called Windows Error Reporting. The Customer Experience Improvement Program has been around since Vista as well.

Holy fuck how many times is the Microsoft Defense Force going to repeat that CEIP was around before Windows 7? Every time I see some fanboy use this as an argument for why Windows 7 were collecting as much data as Windows they always forget that CEIP was OPT-IN and you could OPT-OUT WHENEVER YOU WANTED.

There is a really big difference between having an opt-in system, where users have to specifically go out of their way to enable the data collection (Windows 7 behavior) and to have it on at all time, give no option at all to disable it, and then also continue doing it even after users disable features that seem like they should have the effect of stopping it.

For fuck sake, Microsoft even used the "you can stop whenever you want" as an argument to why CEIP isn't spyware. According to Microsoft's own definition of spyware on the CEIP page, Windows 10 is spyware because it collects data "without your full knowledge or consent".

Here is the link if you do not believe me.

Even the Windows Error Reporting you mentioned could easily be disabled. Error reporting is very different from what Microsoft does in Windows 10 though. In Windows 10 they collect far more, including searches done locally on your computer. Windows 7 and earlier did not behave like this at all, so stop trying to say they did because you are spreading misinformation.

All versions of Windows from XP onward had data collection. Called Windows Error Reporting. The Customer Experience Improvement Program has been around since Vista as well.

This really is not the same thing as what's being talked about at all.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday, and I might switch back to 8.1 since I really liked it.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

As for secure boot, it's not really a major loss. In fact, the lack of support for Secure Boot might even be a good thing now that Microsoft will allow OEMs to remove user control over it (which could lead to you not being allowed to install whichever OS you want on your own computer). I like the idea of secure boot, but I would rather not have it at all than to have it abused to hurt consumers.

Well thats a possibility, if the OEM is stupid enough to do it. That decision would cause a PR disaster for them(just like in case of lenovo and their shady ways with their laptops). Edited by jagdtigger

Well thats a possibility, if the OEM is stupid enough to do it. They wont do anything that would hurt their profit...

They have been doing it on smartphones for years already. It does not hurt their profits because 99% of their buyers don't care. In fact, Microsoft demanded that users were unable to change Secure Boot options on any tablet running Windows RT.

That meant that if you bought a Windows RT tablet, you could not install whichever OS you wanted for the sole reason of Microsoft not letting you. There was next to no outcry about back then.

So what? My Xperia X8 had locked bootloader... It took me a few seconds to unlock it and then install root. In case of the SGS5 it was quicker because it has an open bootloader(and i dont care about knox).

/EDIT
If someone bought that piece of shit then he/she deserved that painful lesson... :rolleyes: Well next time i buy a MB i will surely check if i can disable secure boot or not.

Edited by jagdtigger

It makes me really sad to see someone so willing to not only throw their own rights away, but also tell others they should too.

How many Gmail accounts do you have?

Ok another post cause ya this is really messed up lol

So like I said I don't know how this is going to work if a system has unsupported hardware, another thing it to what about a school for example that is running 7 on all of there systems? Is it going to start downloading the update all at the same time causing the network to go crazy or even go down? Come on Microsoft this is F***** up, so much so I have a feeling this can't be true it is that bad.... then again I thought the iPad pro was a joke till it came out.... 

Schools, and business environment will not the get update.

The "BSOD error" seems like a cop-out answer because Windows 7 does support it. If there are errors then it is probably related to some very particular motherboards or software setups.

All I find when I try and Google it are solutions to issues, all of which seem to be successful. Things like this. Without some broad statistics or technical description it is nothing more than anecdotal evidence though. In fact, I could be saying the opposite from personal experience. I tried to install Windows 10 on my friend's computer and during the Windows 10 install it could not load the storage driver. So we had to install Windows 7 first and then upgrade (luckily she got a DreamSpark account so she had access to all versions of Windows). I am not the only one that has happened to either. But like with the UEFI and Windows 7 issues you referred to, it's rare things which might happen on some systems and there are fixes for it

We tried it on this forum, we could not make it work.

How many Gmail accounts do you have?

I fail to see how that question is relevant. If you want to know I got 2. I also got a Microsoft account.

If you think this makes me a hypocrite then I strongly suggest you read my post again, because it does does not.

We tried it on this forum, we could not make it work.

So it's just anecdotal evidence. I would hardly say it doesn't support UEFI because a handful of people on this forum have had issues with it. Especially not since it works just fine for others.

Schools, and business environment will not the get update.

So if I have 7 Pro or 8 Pro it won't upgrade automatically even with auto/recommended updates on? 

I fail to see how that question is relevant. If you want to know I got 2. I also got a Microsoft account.

If you think this makes me a hypocrite then I strongly suggest you read my post again, because it does does not.

Well I wasn't going to call you a hypocrite.

What I was going to say is that you have accounts with the most known data mining company ever. There isn't a way around it.

So if I have 7 Pro or 8 Pro it won't upgrade automatically even with auto/recommended updates on? 

You will need to go in and delete the updates that insert the upgrade Kernel and then disable the updates option other than security updates.

I dont have the list of Kernel numbers off hand, anyone else link/post please?

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You will need to go in and delete the updates that insert the upgrade Kernel and then disable the updates option other than security updates.

I dont have the list of Kernel numbers off hand, anyone else link/post please?

I just disabled auto updates for now but what a pain and thanks, I will look into that :)

I just disabled auto updates for now but what a pain and thanks, I will look into that :)

Oh and make sure to place those updates on the 'hidden' list. You can turn updates back on after that so it wont reload them and you can still receive the regular security/maintenance updates.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It won't update in any case, unless you tell it to. In YOUR case, you'll get a message box to install now or later. Click on Later. It will bug you at a later date.

For school, companies, the system are joined into a domain, and as such the server delivers the update. Windows Server are excluded in getting Windows 10 upgrade.

Also, if the establishment operated on Windows Enterprise, they are also excluded from the update.

I will be absolutely livid if it forces the update on me as I have windows 7 as my main OS and benching OS, I understand they want to push it. But this is a little bold for them.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14