[Rumor] AMD could be supplying chips for next generation of consoles in 2018

Sammael

http://wccftech.com/exclusive-next-generation-consoles-expected-2018-amd/

AMD believes it is a very strong contender to supply the next round of APUs – which considering the history, isn’t a bad assumption at all. The company is confident that its GCN architecture will be able to achieve at least 5x the performance/watt of the current generation, resulting in much more powerful consoles, with approximately the same power draw. They have also mentioned other focuses this time around which I will be going over shortly. The company has plans to provide said chips by 2018 to console manufacturers – which can also be interpreted as the timeframe for the arrival of next generation consoles. 

It sounds like there will be a bigger push for vr as well, which is really promising because if a console can do vr, for normal single screen games it should be FAR more powerful and... dare I say it.. capable of 4k gaming.  GCN from amd is already technically superior for VR right now, and I'd imagine they would build on that lead, though nvidia will be sure to catch up by Volta (not sure about Pascal - we'll see)

zen and arctic islands will hit in 2016, so that leaves two more years on the time table for improvements in architecture and design.  My guess is they will be on the same 14nm/16nm process they will hit next year, but with the normal year to year improvements.

I can't imagine anyone else getting the contract as neither intel or nvidia has access to both an x86 license and advanced discreet graphics.  Nvidia can't offer a single solution at all unless they shift to arm, and I doubt that would be ready to take on x86 by that time frame on that level, and intel has not shown a willingness to compete on the more powerful gpu front aside from mobile parts.

Anyway, nothing seems confirmed, but this is from wccftech, so it must be true!

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Also performance per watt is such bs. theyll just make the CPU use less Watts

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

http://wccftech.com/exclusive-next-generation-consoles-expected-2018-amd/

AMD believes it is a very strong contender to supply the next round of APUs – which considering the history, isn’t a bad assumption at all. The company is confident that its GCN architecture will be able to achieve at least 5x the performance/watt of the current generation, resulting in much more powerful consoles, with approximately the same power draw. They have also mentioned other focuses this time around which I will be going over shortly. The company has plans to provide said chips by 2018 to console manufacturers – which can also be interpreted as the timeframe for the arrival of next generation consoles. 

It sounds like there will be a bigger push for vr as well, which is really promising because if a console can do vr, for normal single screen games it should be FAR more powerful and... dare I say it.. capable of 4k gaming.  GCN from amd is already technically superior for VR right now, and I'd imagine they would build on that lead, though nvidia will be sure to catch up by Volta (not sure about Pascal - we'll see)

zen and arctic islands will hit in 2016, so that leaves two more years on the time table for improvements in architecture and design.  My guess is they will be on the same 14nm/16nm process they will hit next year, but with the normal year to year improvements.

I can't imagine anyone else getting the contract as neither intel or nvidia has access to both an x86 license and advanced discreet graphics.  Nvidia can't offer a single solution at all unless they shift to arm, and I doubt that would be ready to take on x86 by that time frame on that level, and intel has not shown a willingness to compete on the more powerful gpu front aside from mobile parts.

Anyway, nothing seems confirmed, but this is from wccftech, so it must be true!

i doubt the consoles will be able to handle 4k .

My best bet is they'll ahndle 1080p 60fps or 1440p.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

This rumour is literally 3 years away if not more. Also a console capable of 4k gaming, remember the ps4

It's capable if you want 5FPS. I guess if frame rate doesn't matter, then it should be good, right?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

"I didn't die! I performed a tactical reset!"

When suddenly, AMD chooses 10nm process for no reason just to beat Intel.

which of their cpu's have that lithography isnt Zen meant to be 14nm

This rumour is literally 3 years away if not more. Also a console capable of 4k gaming, remember the ps4

Forgive my error, I heard they had a 4k tetris in the works.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

They should be handling 1080p60 right now. 1080p60 should be the standard by now.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Jesus, this was posted 2 minutes ago and there's already 11 replies.

I don't understand why this forum gets so excited over rumours so much like they're actual facts...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

They should be handling 1080p60 right now. 1080p60 should be the standard by now.

i know .But because of how economics are today , and i assume things won't change much in 2018, i doubt they'll produce hardware that's MUCH more capable .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Mmmm. It most likely will be.

didnt they say its only a 30% percent upgrade from their fx chips?

PS4 can play back content at 4K (local media over external flash-disk)

now playing a game at 4k, that is harsh... but atm the PS4 has a Athlon 5350 and a R9 270 inside of it... if you manage to do about 5x performance without increasing the wattage, then you will have higher then 980Ti in GPU power and closer to a FX 8350 in CPU..

Consoles are ridiculously well optimized, so a FX8350 would be a power-house of a CPU for a console.

honestly, i do not care if they can power 4k.

give me 2560x1440p 75Hz (75FPS) and ill be thrilled.

My guess is they actually just mean 4k video playback, which really isn't too hard to drive. I don't give them any chance of gaming at 4k, that's just never going to happen on a console. They barely even have 1080p30 right now, maybe once they hit 1080p60 they can work on 1440p.

Jesus, this was posted 2 minutes ago and there's already 11 replies.

I was surprised it was not already posted, it's on wccftechs main page and people love speculation about far off things.   

atm the PS4 has a Athlon 5350

I don't think it's accurate to compare it to the 5350. It is an eight core CPU that is clocked around 1.6GHz. Due to the extra cores, it might handle additional threads better than the Athlon.

didnt they say its only a 30% percent upgrade from their fx chips?

Only? And not over FX. Over Excavator. And 40% IPC just from a new architecture alone. Die shrink to 14nm and DDR4 memory support will also help. I'm easily expecting Haswell level if not greater performance.

I'm honestly done with consoles, I don't want to put all of the games I buy on disk on the 500gb hdd that holds 10 games at most, I don't want to pay for multiplayer access and to access the store to buy more stuff, I don't want to play and 900p and I don't want to pay $70 per game. And lastly, I don't want shitty servers. I just really hope AMD can pull off their zen chips and all will be well.

I don't think it's accurate to compare it to the 5350. It is an eight core CPU that is clocked around 1.6GHz. Due to the extra cores, it might handle additional threads better than the Athlon.

it is 2x Athlon 5350 which is downclocked. Quite litterally it is 2x 5350s...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_%28microarchitecture%29

I would much rather take 1080p 60FPS decent settings over 4k, lowest settings and constant drops.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)