PSU Caught fire

kennyD.

My pc just randomly turned off, completely shut down. I smelt a smell of burning so I unplugged the pc straight away.

I turned it back on and smoke started coming out from my PSU. I turned it off immediately. 

I turned on only the PSU next, so I could fully see what was happening. With only the motherboard power connectors in place so I could turn it on.

I saw inside a flame inside, so I turned it off immediately.

It's EVGA 750 G2 Gold power supply

It's not old either, I only recently built this pc, only around 6 months ago. It's gfx card is a GTX 970 FTW+ Edition.

Does anyone know what happened? I don't think any other parts of my pc is damaged. Any advice on my next move is really appreciated

Do I buy a new PSU? And consider that one was faulty, or is it something else that's causing the problem?

Thanks in advance.

most likely a faulty PSU. you still have warranty if it's only 6 months old. Let's hope you didn't fry any other components!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Return it.

See it's not only the CX series that catch on fire!

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

wow shame to hear that about a solid unit like that... luckily your whole pc is covered if anything else fried 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Return it.

Obviously not and CX PSUs don't even die more often than any other PSU.

It's just that there are so many more CX PSUs around that you'll find also more forum posts about it than about any other PSU.

Return it.

It's just that there are so many more CX PSUs around that you'll find also more forum posts about it than about any other PSU.

BRkm0vw_700wa_0.gif

RMA it with evga

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

BRkm0vw_700wa_0.gif

Maybe you should buy a Corsair CX750M instead

Return it.

you guys realize that the reliability isn't the only issue right? They shut down at 30c

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Ive had two PSU's burn on me, first one had the right to burn it was a 525w coolermaster cheapo unit that had a two 12v rails that were like a total of 425W and I had a 7930(7870 Tahiti Overclocked) and a 8350 overclocked to 5Ghz and that was enough to destroy that unit in one week, and I've had a Fractal Integra R2 750W fail but that was a faulty unit. Both units had a strong burning smell then fire. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Most likely faulty, I would return It ASAP... obviously.... Also IMO they should replace any other parts that were damaged by their shitty mistake...

BRkm0vw_700wa_0.gif

Youre-welcome_zps3737cc66.gif

you guys realize that the reliability isn't the only issue right? They shut down at 30c

They don't. I've seen CX PSUs running at over 30°C and they rarely even get over 30°C.

They don't. I've seen CX PSUs running at over 30°C and they rarely even get over 30°C.

the fact that I've had mine running at higher temps, make me laugh at this statement ;p

And then this guy comes along 

@Aytex has a CX PSU and it never blew up on him

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

And then this guy comes along 

@Aytex has a CX PSU and it never blew up on him

did I say anything about them blowing up? (Though I have 2 friends that both had them fail but corsair customer support to the rescue)

did I say anything about them blowing up? (Though I have 2 friends that both had them fail but corsair customer support to the rescue)

That's their fault for not being able to read or research a PSU before buying them

its not ment for gaming builds, they clearly state that in the descriptions

That's their fault for not being able to read or research a PSU before buying them

its not ment for gaming builds, they clearly state that in the descriptions

g3258 and 750ti. Not an extreme build. Also I did say that corsair customer support as great and replaced it very quickly.

Does anyone know what happened? I don't think any other parts of my pc is damaged. Any advice on my next move is really appreciated

Do I buy a new PSU? And consider that one was faulty, or is it something else that's causing the problem?

your PSU is covered by a full 10 years warranty by a company with LEGENDARY customer services, just hit them and they will fix you up:

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Maybe only the ones in Egypt do since there full of sand all the time due to the desert. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Maybe only the ones in Egypt do since there full of sand all the time due to the desert.

was about to spew a bunch of facts but your post is exactly what 2 of my friends would have replied so you get a like instead.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I know I can always go to this website if I'm stuck :) 

I'm going to email EVGA to talk about getting a replacement. Thanks.

your PSU is covered by a full 10 years warranty by a company with LEGENDARY customer services, just hit them and they will fix you up:

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

That's good to hear :)

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I know I can always go to this website if I'm stuck :)

I'm going to email EVGA to talk about getting a replacement. Thanks.

That's good to hear :)

i would get them on the phone if you want the best service possible they are very kind people and will get you solved faster that way. I would call them on phone first.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Dont know why but the title made me laugh ;D

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.