The (Comcast) empire strikes back, quietly expands data caps areas

Linusinium

http://stopthecap.com/2015/09/01/comcast-introducing-usage-caps-in-florida-then-offers-30-option-to-get-back-unlimited/

Comcast today quietly announced its broadband customers in Fort Lauderdale, the Keys and Miami, Fla., will find a broadband usage cap of 300GB per month imposed on their Internet access starting Oct. 1, 2015, along with the option of buying a new $30 insurance plan to protect against overlimit fees and restore unlimited access.

FCC should finally put an end to this crap. Extortion may sound harsh but consider areas in which they also tend to have a quasi monopoly on the market. Comcast is very well aware of the steady bandwidth consumption increase over time, hanging onto data caps as we near 2016, caps they established a while ago.

You can file a complaint with the FCC here:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=38824

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I like that comcast can't throttle me even if they tried, also like the FCC cares when comcast lets them swim in money

Scrooge-McDuck.jpg

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Damn, I forgot when was the last time I had a data cap on mobile phone not to mention Wired connection...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Great, just when my mom decides she wants to switch to Comcast because its "cheaper"...

Thankfully its not in Cali... yet(?)

Anime Addict | Gamer | Tennis Player | Software Developer | My Outdated Beauty

In Nashville Comcast has a data cap of 300gb..
I'm switching soon, I'm so tired of paying for overages..

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

In Nashville Comcast has a data cap of 300gb..

I'm switching soon, I'm so tired of paying for overages..

Fiber won't be coming here soon enough for me  :(

Give me the rice

Fiber won't be coming here soon enough for me  :(

I keep hearing Nashville is getting fiber, but haven't heard a confirmed date on it..

Wishing we got what Chattanooga got :( 

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Thinking of moving and have listed pros/cons. One of the top pros is getting away from Comcast service. They are one of two cable providers and the only major internet provider in my part of town (it's like Verizon and Comcast made a deal and split my city in two for service). 

My service is total shit sometimes and feels throttle during busy hours. When I call for assistance it takes weeks for a solution. My most recent issue I just gave up one after they kept trying to charge me $40 repair fees for each visit even though the last person never fixed the issue to begin with!

Yea...I hate comcast with a passion. If they introduce caps in my area  I rather cancel and go with some tiny provider I never heard of until I can get Fiber. But because it cost so much to build the infrastructure, providers with the money are purposely stalling.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Ah, 'Murica. Land of the free. Also the land of the shittiest internet service in the world right now with no room whatsoever for competition.

Ye ole' train

Well that's just great. And here I am about to finally move out of my parents house, no doubt to an apartment with either comcast or verizon internet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They also sent me an email advising me of their great new service that allows me to remove the data cap for a mere $35 on top of my monthly service fee.

I remember going 20 something years without a data cap on my internet service.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I keep hearing Nashville is getting fiber, but haven't heard a confirmed date on it..

Wishing we got what Chattanooga got :(

I guess the closest thing to having Fiber here in Nashville is wearing the free shirts Google sent out

Give me the rice

Hmm. Comcast doing something that a lot of people have no choice to put up with because they're the only real option for Internet in some places. Wonderful.

300GB cap? Cool, with 3 other family members, Web browsing and Netflix (not even heavy Netflix usage, the others watch a lot of TV and recorded shows) we hit over 500GB every month. And that's not with installing a steam library worth of games every month either, it's regular usage.

But hey, who's gonna stop them? The average person doesn't actually care, they'll complain a bit and then pay anyways. The FCC hasn't done much so far and is wrapped up in lawsuits. Hooray...

Please Google, expand your fiber quicker and to more cities. You can make a boatload of money off of it, and everyone would love you for doing so.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

My local news covered this. They were surprised it would be effecting our area with EPB Fiber having unlimited data still...

Lord of Helium.

I guess the closest thing to having Fiber here in Nashville is wearing the free shirts Google sent out

I didn't even know about that, now I feel double screwed lol