YouTube Red, Will it Ruin YouTube Partners?

https://youtu.be/vMXL9TDojcA?t=6m4s

Fiaura the Tank Girl, a small YouTube partner who creates videos basically about World of Tanks, Armoured Warfare, and so on, recently whipped up a spreadsheet about YouTube Red and how it'll affect partners. From 6:04 to 21:03 she explains how your money would be split between YouTubers and Google. Now I'm not sure about what she says in the beginning about YouTube not paying partners for the first month of service, but it certainly doesn't look pleasant.

What are your thoughts about this?

If you only watched YouTube one day this month, this is how it would be split

post-200882-0-91584200-1446673712_thumb.

If you watched every day, best case scenario just these few videos, this is how it would be split

post-200882-0-98625400-1446673711.png

It was to be expected, not a surprise.

Also sorry for going OT but... I don't understand... it's a "she" or a "he"? That voice is confusing.

you guys don't get it.

Red will be another way to support youtubers assuming they opt in to use the service

you immediately think its bad because of change. The first month is for a free trail so and people who put in a CREDIT CARD (mandatory) will be less likely to use it for the first month because of auto renewal. 

It doesn't eliminate the regular youtube, it only adds a feature for extra profit 

Jordan does a much better job explaining 

Profits will remain the same except an increase because of Yotube Red.

tl;dr

No it won't ruin anything nor completely change anything.

55% for creator 45% for google/youtube

so 5.50 dollars for creators and 4.50 for youtube.

Edit: He just uploaded another video on the subject 

I feel like those statistics from Fiaura are assuming only worse case scenarios. It's not considering Adblock users switching over to YouTube Red, giving partners some profit rather than none at all. It's also considering that people will spend 2800 minutes of their month watching a single person, I spend maybe 240-480 minutes a month watching various YouTube partners. That said, assuming I moved to YouTube Red, creators like Fiaura will begin making more money, because I have adblock unsurprisingly, and if I didn't, with how little content I actually watch, total earned wouldn't change much if at all.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Do we really need another thread about this? We have already had like 4 of them and this does not bring anything new to the table.

I've only watched a few minutes and he is already getting things wrong... Google will pay content creators for the first free month. Google never issued a statement saying that content creators would get nothing during the trial period. The only statement Google has made regarding the trial period is that they would pay content creators during it. He sounds very mad about something he is 100% wrong about.

He also got the part about how the money is split wrong. It is based on the total amount all YouTube Red subscribers watch, not just your viewings. If you only watch a single video, your YouTube Red subscription money will still go to several creators. It won't all go to that single user you watched a video from.

So out of the 2 things he has said so far, both have been wrong.

Wow wow wow wow... Wait a minute. Now that he gets into the actual maths things goes crazy. What kind of ads is he serving if he gets 8 cents PER VIEW. And he claims that is the average amount youtubers get. How does he know that? I don't even get 8 cents per THOUSAND view.

According to Socialblade Linus gets something like 700K views per day. That means he is making 56,000 dollars A DAY. That's with just the YouTube ads as well. Not counting sponsors. Does that sound realistic to anyone? It doesn't to me. Also, that's assuming that nobody ever clicks on an ad.

The part about "TeamFourStar would get nothing" is also untrue. The logic he used to come to the conclusion that a user who got YouTube Red and watches TeamFourStar would result in TFS not getting anything is extremely flawed. His reasoning is that since that single video would not get above the minimum payout from Google, they just keep it. That's not how it works. Google does not say "you didn't meet the minimum payout so that money is ours now". They add it to your account and as soon as you get over the minimum payout limit you can get all the money you have earned so far. On top of that, his statistics are only based on a single user. TFS gets about 2.5 million views per abridge episode. Your view alone would not be enough to get them to the minimum payout threshold, but you and 2.5 million other views would once you add them all together. This is an extremely basic concept and he does not understand it.

Anyone interested in some real stats that doesn't come from a guy which barely gets 100 views per video and got bullshit numbers?

Total Biscuit recently tweeted about the impact YouTube Red has had so far on his earnings. He is now making about 7% more money. Very limited stats and it's not possible to say if it's all thanks to YouTube Red or some other factors, but it's real numbers and not guesses based on ludicrous estimates.

i have questions concerning YouTube Red.

As somebody who wants to help out YouTube Partners, I do not use adblock. I watch most ads and I always watch a majority of the videos themselves.

If I want to directly support YouTubers should I continue just watching the ads or should I go with Red?

I know this might also depend on how much and how many videos I watch, my breakdown would be something like this:

10 hours of Tech videos

5 hours vlog or news videos

4 hours of comedy videos

2 hours gaming videos

Should I just continue watching ads or would RED help out the YouTube community more?

For creators, how much of a revenue change would they be seeing on average?

And how would this affect the growth of smaller channels?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I think youtube is focusing too much on trying to be Twitch with the high priority on time watched, yet completely fucking wrong since most content creators will revolt and suggest to use Twitch instead where their subscription money goes to them, not just the super stars.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Do we really need another thread about this? We have already had like 4 of them and this does not bring anything new to the table.

I've only watched a few minutes and he is already getting things wrong... Google will pay content creators for the first free month. Google never issued a statement saying that content creators would get nothing during the trial period. The only statement Google has made regarding the trial period is that they would pay content creators during it. He sounds very mad about something he is 100% wrong about.

He also got the part about how the money is split wrong. It is based on the total amount all YouTube Red subscribers watch, not just your viewings. If you only watch a single video, your YouTube Red subscription money will still go to several creators. It won't all go to that single user you watched a video from.

So out of the 2 things he has said so far, both have been wrong.

Wow wow wow wow... Wait a minute. Now that he gets into the actual maths things goes crazy. What kind of ads is he serving if he gets 8 cents PER VIEW. And he claims that is the average amount youtubers get. How does he know that? I don't even get 8 cents per THOUSAND view.

According to Socialblade Linus gets something like 700K views per day. That means he is making 56,000 dollars A DAY. That's with just the YouTube ads as well. Not counting sponsors. Does that sound realistic to anyone? It doesn't to me. Also, that's assuming that nobody ever clicks on an ad.

The part about "TeamFourStar would get nothing" is also untrue. The logic he used to come to the conclusion that a user who got YouTube Red and watches TeamFourStar would result in TFS not getting anything is extremely flawed. His reasoning is that since that single video would not get above the minimum payout from Google, they just keep it. That's not how it works. Google does not say "you didn't meet the minimum payout so that money is ours now". They add it to your account and as soon as you get over the minimum payout limit you can get all the money you have earned so far. On top of that, his statistics are only based on a single user. TFS gets about 2.5 million views per abridge episode. Your view alone would not be enough to get them to the minimum payout threshold, but you and 2.5 million other views would once you add them all together. This is an extremely basic concept and he does not understand it.

Anyone interested in some real stats that doesn't come from a guy which barely gets 100 views per video and got bullshit numbers?

Total Biscuit recently tweeted about the impact YouTube Red has had so far on his earnings. He is now making about 7% more money. Very limited stats and it's not possible to say if it's all thanks to YouTube Red or some other factors, but it's real numbers and not guesses based on ludicrous estimates.

(.08 dollars/1000 views)*700000 views = 56 dollars.

My current Rig (Memphis) --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQYWpg

Right now the issue is that there's no REAL information out there. I had a call with my YouTube rep on Monday that was a whole lot of "this is my understanding" without a whole lot of "this is 100% how it's going to work".

So I definitely get why people are mad/confused.

With that said, the impact on my Adsense has been negligible (maybe slightly positive? Can't be arsed to run the numbers) so it's about what I expected - In the grand scheme of things there are VERY FEW USERS, so it's completely irrelevant for now. Let's see how it goes.

And anyway, adsense is now a relatively small portion of our revenue as a company because 2 years ago I decided to build up this community and start engaging with sponsors directly to reduce my reliance on the benevolence of YouTube/Google. More recently we started doing early access on Vessel to further decrease our reliance on the YT. It's going gr8.

So for me and my crew it doesn't matter what they do. #CalledIt

The numbers are just straight up wrong. In what world do YouTube creators get a $40 CPM, let alone a $120 CPM?

(.08 dollars/1000 views)*700000 views = 56 dollars.

That not what he is saying in the video though. His numbers are entirely based on a single viewer watching a few videos. There is no mention of CPM at all in the part of the video I watched (couldn't stand watching the entire thing).

Straight up quote from the video:

So on the small scale this looks good for youtubers because if you just watch the ad or click the ad, there is the average that people make when you click an ad or watch an ad.

*Highlighs the columns that says Watching Ad: 0.08  click on Ad: 0.5*

That's the averages.

So I put up two videos a day, I would get 8 cents or 25 cents if someone clicked one. That's how it works.

I know Linus can't talk about his earnings but I am pretty sure he would agree with me when I say ads are not worth anywhere near 8 cents per view or 25 cents per click. Maybe per thousand click but again, this guy is not talking about that. He is talking about a single user watching one or two videos.

Even if he means that it's 4 cents per view (maybe why 2 videos per day was mentioned) that's still waaaaaay too high.