Apple Patents Switch-Less Force Touch Keyboard, Could Lead to Thinner Macs

NickTheMajin

I assume Apples would also give it the same haptic feedback as the new trackpad, so its completely different as it would give you a tactile clicky feeling when you press down

that would be cool if they could work that out

Hopefully, but don't you need 1 under each key, or zones? I guess execution will decide if its any good.

Hopefully, but don't you need 1 under each key, or zones? I guess execution will decide if its any good.

hmm maybe, i mean if they shrink them down, like they have one inside the apple watch, so they can clearly make their "taptic" engine very small, but its probably still too thick

I could just imagine it working in an iPad with clicky touch screen - please invent that apple 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

hmm maybe, i mean if they shrink them down, like they have one inside the apple watch, so they can clearly make their "taptic" engine very small, but its probably still too thick

I could just imagine it working in an iPad with clicky touch screen - please invent that apple

On a tablet, sure. Stay the F away from my laptop and computer though.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On a tablet, sure. Stay the F away from my laptop and computer though.

Maybe, again depends how they are implemented and if there is a tangible benefit etc normally the stuff apple implement is for the better

Dont forget apple patent many things but never actually release them, they might save them for future ideas etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why Apple?

I have a relatively thick Thinkpad, and guess what. The world didn't end, my arm didn't break. It's fine. In fact the thinness of Apple computers already, I just don't see the point going any farther. It just seems pointless.

Apple's laptops are on the thick side of you compare to the LG Gram, Dell XPS 13 etc...

This seems like a horrible, horrible idea.

I know what typing on a touch keyboard feels like, and force touch would only fix the issue accidental key presses when you put your hand down on it.

It would not fix the issue of you jamming your fingers on a piece of glass which feels awful. It wouldn't fix the issue of the lack of tactile feedback either. So you would have to watch the text as you write it in order to confirm that you are pressing the buttons. Speaking of watching things, you would have no way of knowing where your fingers are positioned. Keyboards got bumps on F and J for a reason...

This seems like a horrible, horrible idea.

I know what typing on a touch keyboard feels like, and force touch would only fix the issue accidental key presses when you put your hand down on it.

It would not fix the issue of you jamming your fingers on a piece of glass which feels awful. It wouldn't fix the issue of the lack of tactile feedback either. So you would have to watch the text as you write it in order to confirm that you are pressing the buttons. Speaking of watching things, you would have no way of knowing where your fingers are positioned. Keyboards got bumps on F and J for a reason...

There are two issues with on screen keyboards, the one you mentioned and the fact that they just generally suck to use. When I need to type something on my SP3 I'll switch to the handwriting recognition keyboard instead because the normal onscreen typing experience is just fucking awful (it probably mis-predicts every third word). Which is a truly pitiful statement....(I mean the handwriting recognition is actually pretty good, but it's still not great, plus I can type far faster than I can write). 

Also, I don't actually find myself using those bumps to identify where my hands are on the keyboard, they just tend to naturally rest in certain positions, and based on where my hand is in relationship to my wrist tells me where the specific keys I'm looking for are (i.e. I, and probably most people who are good typists, can just walk up to a keyboard they're familiar (blindfolded) even with those bumps removed and have no issues typing. (I'm also referring to a standard laptop keyboard -- i.e. one where the keys themselves aren't individually contoured)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

@LAwLz

#RealKeyboardsHaveCurves

#RealKeyboardsHaveBumps

I've never felt comfortable with anything less than a full relief keyboard. I need to be able to slide my fingers across veritable bunkers and pillboxes so I can type quickly, precisely, and decisively.

I always feel lost sliding my fingers across an original surface pro touch keyboard or on-screen keyboard. I also tend to rest heavy on the keyboard causing errant characters and mispresses. I can type passably on a traditional keyboard, I have noticeable issues on touch or flat keyboards. Even chiclet style are uncomfortable but doable.

I'm just going to say that like @GoodBytes mentioned, MS tried something like this and they dropped for a more familar and actually more expensive keyboard, there had to be a reason for dropping it.

Apple's laptops are on the thick side of you compare to the LG Gram, Dell XPS 13 etc...

The gram is cheap plastic and no battery, when you cheap out like that is very easy to make it thin and light, the XPS 13 though it is indeed good engineering but its not that much thinner or thicker that the air.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Maybe, again depends how they are implemented and if there is a tangible benefit etc normally the stuff apple implement is for the better

Dont forget apple patent many things but never actually release them, they might save them for future ideas etc

I'm still bitter they got rid of buttons on phones. The only situation where software buttons are better is when watching full screen video. That's it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

the gram is cheap plastic and no battery, when you cheap out like that is very easy to make it thin and light, the xps 13 though it is indeed good engineering but its not that much thinner or thicker that the air

I'm just arguing that its not like Apple is the only one with their laptop flagships being thin. 

the real problem with this is that we dont need thinner macs or phones

But how else will Apple sell "new" fashion accessories?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

But how else will Apple sell "new" fashion accessories?

by utilizing more powerful hardware than its competitors?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't think anything they do will ever make touch keyboards any less annoying.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Do you seriously think Macs are underpowered for the price??

If you're JUST looking at FPS/$ or render time/$, then yes (but there are other very important factors which negate the cost differences).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

If you're JUST looking at FPS/$ or render time/$, then yes (but there are other very important factors which negate the cost differences).

Exactly, for me, the battery, keyboard, screen and trackpad on their laptops makes up for some *slight* reduction in performance. 

by utilizing more powerful hardware than its competitors?

Apple and utilising more powerful hardware? Just look at their history and try to say that again.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Exactly, for me, the battery, keyboard, screen and trackpad on their laptops makes up for some *slight* reduction in performance. 

You'll get no arguments from me. I'd gladly pay the extra amount for the trackpad alone seeing as most other trackpads still aren't as good as the one that Apple uses (excluding force touch...I'm not a fan of that). 

Apple and utilising more powerful hardware? Just look at their history and try to say that again.

last time I checked the A9/A9X tops the charts.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

AFAIK, they were the first to use SandyBridge processors. Back in the day, used a 760M which was pretty much in any notebook the size of the 15" rMBP etc...its not like they shove crappy hardware into their machines. That's not true. Except the new iMac. A 5400rpm HDD? ARE YOU SERIOUS APPLE??? WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA??????????????

AFAIK, they were the first to use SandyBridge processors. Back in the day, used a 760M which was pretty much in any notebook the size of the 15" rMBP etc...its not like they shove crappy hardware into their machines. That's not true. Except the new iMac. A 5400rpm HDD? ARE YOU SERIOUS APPLE??? WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA??????????????

IT does let them upsell an SSD at an insane markup. So why not?

For a company that pushed PCIE SSDs and now NVME SSDs...its just a tad bit stupid...

Is it stupid if Chevy puts a v8 in their trucks but a 4 banger in the coupe? For the people who get pinched an SSD option will be available, and it lets them further inflate their prices. In the halls of Apple HQ whoever came up with this idea probably got a raise and a promotion.