USD$1000 Skylake Build

I plan to use this rig for mostly gaming as well as some productivity. I already have storage (SSD's and a 2TB HD) as well as an OS so these are not included in the price. I want this computer to last at least 4 years. This will be a skylake build with a 6600k or 6700k depending on sales in november. I have decided on all the parts and am happy so far.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HZcvMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HZcvMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($254.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($165.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($349.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.00 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1033.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I am looking for power supply suggestions as a priority and any other advice will be greatly appreciated I'm looking forward to what the community will say.

Thank you for your time,
Alibaster1

idk,

are you illiterate? 

A 970 will still last 4 years. I still use 660s in two of my systems and they've never failed to do what I need them to. To be honest they can still pull high settings out of every new game at 1080p.

reason?

Much better performance, over 2x the ram (3.5GB xD), probably cheaper

reason?

Even without considering the future the 390 performs better than the 970.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

No current GPU will last 4 years with the way games are advancing so rapidly, however the GTX 970 will last you at least 2-3 years at 1080p high settings before games become so demanding that you have to begin turning down the settings to medium and lower.

The GTX 970 and R9 390 will have about the same lifespan regardless. Also the R9 390 cannot utilize that 8GB frame buffer so don't let that be a selling point unless you're trying to play at 4k, which neither of these cards are made for.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

A 970 will still last 4 years. I still use 660s in two of my systems and they've never failed to do what I need them to. To be honest they can still pull high settings out of every new game at 1080p.

390 has more preformance like 5-10% at the most

more Vram which is a NEED for future games

But the 970 is awful!  The R9 390 is lightyears ahead of it in terms of performance and slightly, just ever so slightly, scoots past the 980 non Ti.

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Don't count on the "need" of vram in the future. While games are getting better textures, devs are trying to optimize them to use less vram overall.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

This is $80 more with a Haswell i7, and a R9 390X... looks nice too:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($312.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($20.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.80 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1117.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-02 18:49 EST-0500

$10 cheaper than the original... same performance as the $1120 build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($312.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($20.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($76.50 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Avexir Blitz1.1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.80 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1029.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-02 18:52 EST-0500

The problem is the R9 390 isn't powerful enough to use 8GB's of VRAM.

But the 970 is awful!  The R9 390 is lightyears ahead of it in terms of performance and slightly, just ever so slightly, scoots past the 980 non Ti.

The 970 isn't afwful, and the R9 390 isn't light years ahead of it and from these benchmarks the 970 actually performs better than the 290x (which the 390x is slightly faster) and the 390x never even touched the GTX 980.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Where are you getting these performance numbers? I don't think I've ever seen the 390 beat a 980...

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

The problem is the R9 390 isn't powerful enough to use 8GB's of VRAM.

The 970 isn't afwful, and the R9 390 isn't light years ahead of it and from these benchmarks the 970 actually performs better than the 290x (which the 390x is slightly faster) and the 390x never even touched the GTX 980.

Woops, that was a mistake.  I meant R9 390X,  sorry about that.  Even then the R9 390 gets quite close to the 980 non Ti

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Woops, that was a mistake.  I meant R9 390X,  sorry about that.  Even then the R9 390 gets quite close to the 980 non Ti

Not really, it's still no competition the scale of good GPU's goes like this 750ti > 950 > 380 > 390 > 390X > 980ti. The 390 and 390X aren't that close to the 980. If you believe they are I'd like to see some benchmarks.

No current GPU will last 4 years with the way games are advancing so rapidly, however the GTX 970 will last you at least 2-3 years at 1080p high settings before games become so demanding that you have to begin turning down the settings to medium and lower.

The GTX 970 and R9 390 will have about the same lifespan regardless. Also the R9 390 cannot utilize that 8GB frame buffer so don't let that be a selling point unless you're trying to play at 4k, which neither of these cards are made for.

Don't count on the "need" of vram in the future. While games are getting better textures, devs are trying to optimize them to use less vram overall.

I would personally prefer an NVIDIA card as it will work better for me. I was looking at:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g

or

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr

I was wondering what I should take into consideration between these two cards

I would personally prefer an NVIDIA card as it will work better for me. I was looking at:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g

or

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr

I was wondering what I should take into consideration between these two cards

What do you mean it will work better for you?

The main question is

Do you want more preformance or not b/c it seems you aren't going to be upgrading for a few years

Take a look at the various benchmarks in http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/6.html. Performance depends a great deal on the resolution. At 1080 a GTX 970 generally does better than the R9 390. At higher resolutions the R9 390 tends to do better than the GTX 970.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Not really, it's still no competition the scale of good GPU's goes like this 750ti > 950 > 380 > 390 > 390X > 980ti. The 390 and 390X aren't that close to the 980. If you believe they are I'd like to see some benchmarks.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390X-vs-GeForce-GTX-980

Now, the 980 will possibly kill the card with a good OC, but as far as stock depending on the optimization of the game the R9 390x may pull ahead just slightly, EVER SO slightly.  Also you got your signs backwards it should be < not > lol

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390X-vs-GeForce-GTX-980

Now, the 980 will possibly kill the card with a good OC, but as far as stock depending on the optimization of the game the R9 390x may pull ahead just slightly, EVER SO slightly.  Also you got your signs backwards it should be < not > lol

Never use GPU boss, it's a pretty eh website and I'm not 100% sure where they get their information, try Toms Hardware.

Never use GPU boss, it's a pretty eh website and I'm not 100% sure where they get their information, try Toms Hardware.

Tom's is biased and from a user perspective.  GPU boss at least show's the scores.

Tom's is biased and from a user perspective.  GPU boss at least show's the scores.

I haven't encountered any bias in any of their reviews, I simply briefly read the reviews and focus on the benchmarks, as they don't lie.

I haven't encountered any bias in any of their reviews, I simply briefly read the reviews and focus on the benchmarks, as they don't lie.

I'm not putting you down or anything(by the way nice game art earlier) I'm just saying, that they are user based and not professioal based as GPU boss would seem to be