How much W is enough for the future

ELECTRX

Dumb question but would something like 650W / 750W be enough if I don't plan to SLI/Crossfire in the future? Guess we can't predict the future, but components would be more efficient amiright :P

Depends on the GPU's and other components

i5-4460 - Scythe Mugen PCGH Edition - MSI R9 390 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-1600 - MSI H97 3 Gaming - NZXT Noctis 450 Black/Red - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - Cooler Master G750M PSU  - BenQ RL2455HM - Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Silent - Razer Deathadder Chroma - Logitech z623 Speakers - Windows 10 & 8.1

Depends what cards you're using , if you are planning to sli 970's or 980's , 750w should be ok.

However don't expect to crossfire 290x's , 390x's or fury's. with that .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

If it keeps following the same trend, GPUs will get more more power efficient. 650W would be a pretty safe bet for mid-tier builds.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I'd say around 750W with 80+ Gold rating.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

If you need more watts , just tape another psu to the top of your case !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

If you need more watts , just tape another psu to the top of your case !

scrapyard wars 3 reference :D

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

When i buildt my pc 6 years ago almost 7 i got a 850w psu and the market on them have been pretty much stagnant since then when it comes to wattage

scrapyard wars 3 reference :D

That's litterally what i was considering doing when i was thinking of doing a crossfire with my 290x .

Dumb question but would something like 650W / 750W be enough if I don't plan to SLI/Crossfire in the future? Guess we can't predict the future, but components would be more efficient amiright :P

Ive always been told "components will draw less power in the future", yet most flagship CPU's still use an 8 pin and most flagship gpus use 2 power conectors. Sure the stuff today uses less power than the stuff "then", but it still draws a good amount of power. I will say this though: 650w has been consistently good for single gpu systems, and most likely accomodates a second card.

Well right now i have an i5 4590, with a 970 and i want to keep this price range when i upgrade in the future in maybe 3-5 years. Honestly I don't care too much about maxing every AAA title out. :)

Ive always been told "components will draw less power in the future", yet most flagship CPU's still use an 8 pin and most flagship gpus use 2 power conectors. Sure the stuff today uses less power than the stuff "then", but it still draws a good amount of power. I will say this though: 650w has been consistently good for single gpu systems, and most likely accomodates a second card.

If it keeps following the same trend, GPUs will get more more power efficient. 650W would be a pretty safe bet for mid-tier builds.

Depends what cards you're using , if you are planning to sli 970's or 980's , 750w should be ok.

However don't expect to crossfire 290x's , 390x's or fury's. with that .

Well right now i have an i5 4590, with a 970 and i want to keep this price range when i upgrade in the future in maybe 3-5 years. Honestly I don't care too much about maxing every AAA title out. :)

No reason to SLI 970s in the future.... Anyways 650W is enough for an i5 and two 970s.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

No reason to SLI 970s in the future.... Anyways 650W is enough for an i5 and two 970s.

I mean in the future i want to buy parts from the midrange prices, not sli

I mean in the future i want to buy parts from the midrange prices, not sli

Gotcha. Well, if Nvidia continues its trend of decreasing electrical need every generation then 650W is good but I would go with 750 to be on the safe side.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||