CISA Passes Senate 74-21

Syntaxvgm

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/eff-disappointed-cisa-passes-senate

The conference committee between the House of Representatives and the Senate will determine the bill's final language. But no amount of changes in conference could fix the fact that CISA doesn't address the real cybersecurity problems that caused computer data breaches like Target and the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM).

Look, I know the posting guidelines require me to add my own opinion or something to it, but I really don't have one. 
I'm worn out. 
Not only did this pass despite almost no citizens aware of it wanting it, it wasn't even fucking close. 
Very few in the tech industry wanted it, actually a lot of large companies even voiced their opposition. 
Actually, I can't think of anyone that knows anything about the tech industry not tied to the government that wanted it. 
I knew this would happen. 
We all knew. 
It's going to continue happening. 

We 'win', and they keep trying to shove the same shit through until eventually we lose. 
It doesn't matter if we stop these sort of laws/legislation. They have unlimited tries to shove it through in some way- be it directly, under another name, or attached to an unrelated bill. 

So what now? 
It seems like every year the internet and the bastion of free communication - that just 5 years ago I would have thought would change the world for the better by forcing it to be open- is dwindling.

Edited by Godlygamer23

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The future is grim. RIP free internet.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Can someone give me a rundown of a what the law is

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

jd9Kgq0.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

So.. Canada?  Europe?  No, wait, I got it.  Estonia.  We just gotta defend against Putin.  We'll make our home there.  

So.. Canada?  Europe?  No, wait, I got it.  Estonia.  We just gotta defend against Putin.  We'll make our home there.  

you forget Team America is the World's Police. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

RIP America.

Guess we should give up on trying to make it a decent country, and instead move to other countries and watch as America kills itself slowly.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The wigs seem to want to push tech back to the age of the analog television and the casette tape...

Canada, then.  We'll live outside of the LTT HQ.

We go with RU and EU to the dark side of the moon...

They'll eventually believe oil is there.  Nowhere is safe.

If nowhere is safe, then we just have to make a place where it is safe...

If nowhere is safe, then we just have to make a place where it is safe...

yah. A..........safespace

lol

muh specs 

All parts black

Welp. It's official.

Us Americans can no longer say our government pretends to give a damn what its people think.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Can someone give me a rundown of a what the law is

FBI, NSA, etc. can access all customer information and data of companies without warrants or notifying the customer.

Companies have no legal responsibility if they are hacked or expose customer data and information.

Companies don't need to tell customers if/when their data and information are exposed or lost.

Companies can share customer information freely with government, other companies, interest groups, etc.

And more... Etc.

Basically a big "FUCK YOU" to the internet and to freedom.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I guess everything Snowden uncovered is now totally ok because that's how the law works, retroactively because fuck consequences right?

Wrong: US congratulations on your campaign of paranoia: Your fear of IT (and henceforth: success) will probably finish chasing away Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple. You've done fucked up guys. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Canada, then.  We'll live outside of the LTT HQ.

You mean LTT's Team Base!

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Ireland.  We'll move to Ireland.  It's got low taxes, okay-food, lots of beer, hills, cold weather, and Irish people!  

My posts just got locked and deleted on OCN regarding this bill, because of the strict "no politics" rule.

However, this Bill being passed through Senate is incredibly important, and I truly hope this thread becomes popular as this bill permits companies to share information directly with the NSA, FBI, CIA, etc. notwithstanding any law whatsoever. 

Edit, Heres a few more sources:

In a 74 to 21 vote, the Senate has voted to pass the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act, or CISA, a bill that privacy advocates have long argued will quietly give the government invasive spying powers. The House has already passed similar legislation, and the two versions will now enter a conference committee, to be reconciled before being sent to President Obama.

Under the bill, companies would be encouraged to silently share "security" information with the Department of Homeland Security and, ultimately, other government agencies. But civil rights groups and tech companies have argued that the terms of such agreements are vague, and give broad leeway for companies to share information with the feds without accountability.

A series of amendments for the bill were introduced Tuesday that would have altered some of the most controversial parts, but those were ultimately voted down:

he Wyden Amendment, put forth by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) would require companies to remove any personally identifiable information (PII) so long as it doesn't relate to the investigation at hand and its removal does not hinder law enforcement efforts. The Wyden Amendment failed 41 - 55.

The Heller Amendment, which was only voted upon because the Wyden Amendment failed, similarly strengthened PII protections, but only applies to federal entities. That means corporations which have been hacked would theoretically be allowed to share your PII (name, address, SSN) with other companies at will, with no recourse for the person whose information has been shared. It failed 47 - 49.

The Coon's Amendment, named after Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE), would incorporate additional safeguards that users' personal data would be expunged from any shared information. The original bill states that the DHS has to share data with other federal investigative agencies, this amendment would have changed the wording to "as quickly as operationally possible" thereby actually giving the DHS the time needed to protect consumer privacies. It failed with a final vote of 41 - 54.

The Franken Amendment, introduced by Sen. Al Franken (D - MN), sought to narrow the definition of "cybersecurity threats" and "cyber threat indicators." It failed overwhelmingly, 35 - 60.

Finally, the Leahy Amendment from Sen. Pat Leahy (D-VT) would have eliminated the bill's blanket FOIA exemption. It failed 37 to 59. As it stands now, not only will companies and the federal government be able to swap the PIIs of any American caught up in a major cyber attack, neither those affected nor the media will be able to inquire as to what actually happened, eliminating any sort of governmental transparency in these matters.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/27/9623280/senate-passes-cisa-bill

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/27/us-senate-passes-controversial-cybersecurity-bill/

I guess everything Snowden uncovered is now totally ok because that's how the law works, retroactively because fuck consequences right?

Wrong: US congratulations on your campaign of paranoia: Your fear of IT (and henceforth: success) will probably finish chasing away Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple. You've done fucked up guys. 

When you say US do you mean Americans or the government? Absolutely no American would support this bill unless they were corrupt f*ckers in a position of power... A position of power is quite clearly a place the American people are not in right now.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

When you say US do you mean Americans or the government? Absolutely no American would support this bill unless they were corrupt f*ckers in a position of power... A position of power is quite clearly a place the American people are not in right now.

I mean the government: American citizens I'd expect to fight this in some fashion or leave. Many will not understand this until the consequences appear but once most non tech saavy people realize they just approved a defacto military dictatorship they'll do something about it I'm sure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can't get the link to load, but judging by the replies, it is like SOPA etc etc?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

And there goes any chance of the Safe Harbour agreement ever being reinstated.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

you forget Team America is the World's Police. 

Only if you let them be.

Ye ole' train