Is Getting 8 gigs or Ram worth it?

Bobby_Joe_80

My current laptop with 8 gigs and it never uses the full 8. Any programs that use alot?

My current laptop with 8 gigs and it never uses the full 8. Any programs that use alot?

Depends if you game alot you need to have 8 GB else your not going to have a great time with modern games, also video editing takes up a lot but else not much.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Things that can be RAM intensive: Browser tabs, video editing, virtual machines, some games, etc.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's not necessarily using 8, it's using above 4 or 6. If you go above 4 or 6 then you clearly need 8 or more.

You can use 4.5 by browsing with any browser with a couple tabs and MS Word and Powerpoint open at the same time.

If you like keeping a bunch of Chrome/Firefox tabs open, then yeah, it's worth it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Things that can be RAM intensive: Browser tabs, video editing, virtual machines, some games, etc.

as well as ramdisks, game servers, and running multiple different normal tasks at the same time, ram usage adds up

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My current laptop has 8 GB and I can barely get by with it.  My desktop replacement (which is on the way) has 16 which should be more manageable.  In terms of programs, I use a lot of chrome tabs, VMWare Workstation, Wireshark, Microsoft office, and usually some of this runs in the background while I'm playing games in between working on my studies.

EDIT: Also, I use Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum, which is pretty resource hungry.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Google Chrome and Gimp (using those two and I am at 91%)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

When I play witcher 3 (high settings) I use like 7-7,7 gig of my 8 gigs. I have opera, skype, steam, gog galaxy and spotify open in the background, I think of bying 8 more :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Auto cad 3d modeling loves ram. It uses all of the free ram of my 16gb.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

If you aren't hitting max on it now, then no. It won't make things faster but sure helps if you experience slowness now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

With how cheap ram is right now, 8 is pretty much standard now. 

Lord of Helium.

When I play witcher 3 (high settings) I use like 7-7,7 gig of my 8 gigs. I have opera, skype, steam, gog galaxy and spotify open in the background, I think of bying 8 more :)

That seems Odd. I only use 10GB running Witcher 3 BF4 and MGSV at the same time. With all the other stuff in the background.

@Bobby_Joe_80

I would say invest in more if you're a tab whore. stick with 8 if you play games. (some games coming out say they'll require 8, We'll see how that goes)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

That seems Odd. I only use 10GB running Witcher 3 BF4 and MGSV at the same time. With all the other stuff in the background.

@Bobby_Joe_80

I would say invest in more if you're a tab whore. stick with 8 if you play games. (some games coming out say they'll require 8, We'll see how that goes)

I am using around 4,3 GB with just opera(7 tabs),steam,gog galaxy, spotify,and skype running before running any games. Witcher 3 is using around 3 gb (2,5-3,3(2,5 when I load the game up, but 3,3 when I have played for a while))

4,3 GB+ 3,3 GB = 7,6 GB

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

I am using around 4,3 GB with just opera(7 tabs),steam,gog galaxy, spotify,and skype running before running any games. Witcher 3 is using around 3 gb (2,5-3,3(2,5 when I load the game up, but 3,3 when I have played for a while))

4,3 GB+ 3,3 GB = 7,6 GB

Is Opera now more memory hungry than chrome?

I'm pretty sure they made some massive improvements to chromium memory management recently. Maybe Opera haven't implemented them yet?

post-2767-0-05232100-1445906758_thumb.pn

I have a whole bunch more than 7 tabs open and using just short of 5 gigs. (Also 2 other monitors full of tabs, which is why the scroll bar is so long)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

If you're not using anywhere near the 8 gig amount right now (like, if you never go above about 6, probably), and you don't plan to change what you're doing with your computer all that much, then no.

But if you decide to start using it to do a lot of video or photo editing, or if you tend to have lots (as in, several dozen) tabs open at once in your browser (especially if they're media-heavy tabs), or if you plan to start gaming on some of the more resource-intensive modern AAA games like Witcher 3, then yeah, upgrade to 16GB.  If you have DDR3 memory, you can get a 16GB set (either 2x8 or 4x4) for ~$80-100; DDR4 is about $20 more (by and large), according to Microcenter's prices.  And you can probably find sets for a bit cheaper if you look around at other sites, or check PC Parts Picker.

Is Opera now more memory hungry than chrome?

I'm pretty sure they made some massive improvements to chromium memory management recently. Maybe Opera haven't implemented them yet?

attachicon.gifmoar tabs.png

I have a whole bunch more than 7 tabs open and using just short of 5 gigs. (Also 2 other monitors full of tabs, which is why the scroll bar is so long)

I dunno, look for yourself what using my ram, I have no idea why it is so many tasks for opera:

tiWNzyU.png

and what opera says it is using:

1UraGg2.png

-Stephen Hawking