Tesla's Autopilot System in action

qwertywarrior

id shit my pants if i was him

id keep second guessing the thing wasnt working

Autopilot, if it isn’t a full autonomous system, is simple enough in execution. It won’t drive you to your ultimate destination, it won’t make navigational turns without your input, and it doesn’t know what the traffic light or the sign in front of you says. So think of it less like an autonomous system, and rather more like the ultimate execution of cruise control. It uses a forward-looking radar, a front-facing camera, 12 ultrasonic sensors, and GPS to make sure everything stays on the road, and it seems to work well enough using those.

But even if it’s just the holy grail of cruise control, its execution is almost perfect.

http://jalopnik.com/teslas-autopilot-system-is-awesome-and-creepy-and-a-sig-1736573089

1474138103754058789.gif

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

doesnt count

this is a review of the autopilot system

Hardly a review. More of a demonstration. 

COMIC SANS

Hardly a review. More of a demonstration. 

the link provides more of an insight

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If I cant take a nap while traveling, I'm not interested. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Anyone with a Tesla or any other self driving car would have no excuse for drunk driving now. This I'd great!

Might work well in America since most of the roads there are straight. Try driving it in UK. 

Sweet.

If I cant take a nap while traveling, I'm not interested. 

Remember the first planes?,  yeah, same thing, technology one day will allow you to take a nap, as it stands now, not quite.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Sweet.

Remember the first planes?,  yeah, same thing, technology one day will allow you to take a nap, as it stands now, not quite.

I dont think this can quite be compared to the invention of powered flight...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I dont think this can quite be compared to the invention of powered flight...

Not now, but once most cars have autopilot it could happen.

Not now, but once most cars have autopilot it could happen.

How many flights have you been on without a pilot? Or where the pilot is allowed to take a nap and let the computer take over unsupervised? And that task is easier in the air than on the ground where the immediate surroundings have orders of magnitudes more obstacles. 

I still think we are a lot farther away from consumer adoption of autonomous cars than most people think. 

How many flights have you been on without a pilot? Or where the pilot is allowed to take a nap and let the computer take over unsupervised? And that task is easier in the air than on the ground where the immediate surroundings have orders of magnitudes more obstacles. 

I still think we are a lot farther away from consumer adoption of autonomous cars than most people think. 

Almost all planes fly by themselves, it's nothing new, look up the term fly-by-wire.

People are afraid of change, it's not a surprise, people will not accept self driven cars on the spot, the tests will prove how safe they are if that ever happens in our lifetimes.

Almost all planes fly by themselves, it's nothing new, look up the term fly-by-wire.

People are afraid of change, it's not a surprise, people will not accept self driven cars on the spot, the tests will prove how safe they are if that ever happens in our lifetimes.

You missed the point completely. 

Auto-pilot has been around for decades, yet those systems are not trusted enough to get rid of the pilots.

Yet somehow you are expecting that we are going to drop drivers out of the equation because this car can hold it's lane lol. 

Again, let me know when I can take a nap and wake up at my office. 

You missed the point completely. 

Auto-pilot has been around for decades, yet those systems are not trusted enough to get rid of the pilots.

Yet somehow you are expecting that we are going to drop drivers out of the equation because this car can hold it's lane lol. 

Again, let me know when I can take a nap and wake up at my office.

Fair point, but you can't really compare something that carries a lot of passengers and it's on the air, with something that it's on land.

We could get rid of the pilot in a plane, but that would make people freak out, if the old Buran could land without a pilot, I'm sure a modern plane can also do it.

Fair point, but you can't really compare something that carries a lot of passengers and it's on the air, with something that it's on land.

We could get rid of the pilot in a plane, but that would make people freak out, if the old Buran could land without a pilot, I'm sure a modern plane can also do it.

I would argue that there are a lot less chances for incident in the air vs on the ground. In the air there is very little to run into (at least at 30,000 ft) however on the ground things are a lot more fluid, animals, pedestrians, traffic signals etc that must be taken into account. Plus much of the control systems are already in place with aircraft, ATC, and ILS being the biggies; none of which currently exist for land vehicles. 

Again, I really believe we will see autonomous passenger aircraft before we see consumer adaption of autonomous cars. I could be wrong, but that is my take on it. 

This is cool and would be amazing on a long road trip.

Autonomous cars would only be safe if there was 100% adoption, like if self-driving became illegal or something except in emergencies.

The system wouldn't work to perfection if non-perfect humans were still in control on the road.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

I would argue that there are a lot less chances for incident in the air vs on the ground. In the air there is very little to run into (at least at 30,000 ft) however on the ground things are a lot more fluid, animals, pedestrians, traffic signals etc that must be taken into account. Plus much of the control systems are already in place with aircraft, ATC, and ILS being the biggies; none of which currently exist for land vehicles. 

Again, I really believe we will see autonomous passenger aircraft before we see consumer adaption of autonomous cars. I could be wrong, but that is my take on it. 

I'm sure autonomous cars will be more careful than your average human, have you ever meet one?, sometimes they get mad and do weird stuff.

I'm sure autonomous cars will be more careful than your average human, have you ever meet one?, sometimes they get mad and do weird stuff.

No argument there, I am just pointing out that we aren't there quite yet. 

No argument there, I am just pointing out that we aren't there quite yet. 

It's ok, I just hope we get to see the start of in in our lifetimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with a Tesla or any other self driving car would have no excuse for drunk driving now. This I'd great!

it's not a self-driving car - doesn't go from point A to point B on a map

it goes pretty much on a straight course, similar to what the auto pilot on a airplane does; the difference being that car doesn't use altitude  :lol:

Love this car.

The technology in this car is amazing.

Way to lead the future, **** those big oil companies.

Although, I'm not sure how I feel about the auto pilot feature, it's more of a gimmick, if it was self driving I could understand.

It also requires you to be ready to take control, as it could lose track of the road at any time, which basically means you're driving anyway.

The self parking feature associated with Autopilot is a plus though.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!