Thermal Paste vs Toothpaste

Jacktastic-Mofo

So, a rumor I've heard quite often is that if you don't have an thermal paste (ex. artic silver) laying around that you could use any toothpaste to get the job done.

Who would like to see me give this a go on my secondary system with the intel stock cooler?

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

why not spend a few bucks and use somehting much better??!!!

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

please no

thermal.png

Just use thermal paste, it's better.

Toothpaste is another option, but there's a better one....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I would.

It's been tested before with mayonnaise, and apparently anything works as thermal paste as long as it has better thermal conductivity than air.

Enjoy the minty fresh sent of krest toothpaste every time you stress your computer? Save money on overpriced specifically engineered for the exact application thermal paste?

sounds like a win win to me.

the toothpaste will fry out very quickly and isn't as good as thermal paste so dont even try

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

thermal.png

Just use thermal paste, it's better.

chocolate was tested xD

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

why not spend a few bucks and use somehting much better??!!!

I have extra thermal paste and toothpaste lol, this would literally cost nothing.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I've not seen that particular graph before - I have to admit Pink lipstick is pretty fucking funny.

Edit: now you can "RGB your thermal compound - to match your Razer RGB accessories!"

Like the mousemat.

chocolate was tested xD

I saw that picture, and cringed to the fact that there was production thermal paste that was worse than toothpaste...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I had twice put Toothpaste on my previous GPU (Nvidia 8400GS), and both of i have to get it RMA'd because it won't even boot, i don't know how it works just fine for other people.

Maybe you put too much, and it was conductive? A cpu's IHS is quite large, so it likely won't be a problem.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I saw that picture, and cringed to the fact that there was production thermal paste that was worse than toothpaste...

atleast the thermal paste wont dry out as fast

Spoiler

If worse came to worst I would use it as a temporary solution until I had purpose intended thermal paste.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What about just liquid gold?  You'd have to be quick squishing down the cooler onto it because as soon as it hardens, you'll want to make sure that's the position everything it going to stay in :)

Also, hopefully that won't heat up the chip too much as is

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

atleast the thermal paste wont dry out as fast

I would hope there were advantages to using that thermal paste xD

Here's another idea - that chart showed the test of "no thermal paste" as being pretty poor but not unusable - what if you were able to polish both surfaces so well that you didn't need any at all, and it actually worked?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Here's another idea - that chart showed the test of "no thermal paste" as being pretty poor but not unusable - what if you were able to polish both surfaces so well that you didn't need any at all, and it actually worked?

At the microscopic level, there would still be imperfections, which is why thermal paste is used. It would likely be not very bad at all though...

At the microscopic level, there would still be imperfections, which is why thermal paste is used. It would likely be not very bad at all though...

Then you're not imagining my level of polishing :P  I mean it would be flat under an electron microscope

I've never tried this, but in theory you could use finely ground up pencil lead as a homemade alternative to thermal paste. The graphite from the pencil lead should be highly thermaly conductive and work excellently if a very thin layer is applied. The big issue I see is that it is also electricaly conductive and with no grease of any kind to trap it in place some might get out from in between short any exposed contacts it gets to.

I've never tried this, but in theory you could use finely ground up pencil lead as a homemade alternative to thermal paste. The graphite from the pencil lead should be highly thermaly conductive and work excellently if a very thin layer is applied. The big issue I see is that it is also electricaly conductive and with no grease of any kind to trap it in place some might get out from in between short any exposed contacts it gets to.

perhaps add a tiny bit of some form of oil. I had always wondered what would happen if you made thermal paste from etch a sketch powder, which is finely powdered aluminium

perhaps add a tiny bit of some form of oil. I had always wondered what would happen if you made thermal paste from etch a sketch powder, which is finely powdered aluminium

Probably depends strongly on how finely