Is the corsair hx-750i worth the extra spend?

Go to solution Solved by Jimmybiggs,

A quick check - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 750W Power Supply for $159 (AUD) and its $68 cheaper than the Hxi. May have found an option. Thanks all - such a great forum

So I'm looking at a new fully modular power supply & sick of crazy power bills on my old Tx corsair 750 bronze, now I'm using it flat out for school & some games. Building a new high end z170 with a single 970 gpu.

Is the extra spent worth, in the long run, power savings as its platinum? Other suggestions? Or am I on a winner?? Thanks.

P

So I'm looking at a new fully modular power supply & sick of crazy power bills on my old Tx corsair 750 bronze, now I'm using it flat out for school & some games. Building a new high end z170 with a single 970 gpu.

Is the extra spent worth, in the long run, power savings as its platinum? Other suggestions? Or am I on a winner?? Thanks.

P

Check out the link in my sig or on the pinned part of the PSU/cases subforum where I talk about this. If you're seeing huge power bills it's likely because of the components in your PC and how and when they're being used as opposed to the efficiency of your PSU.

Or if you're on mobile here's the link http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/423141-80-plus-efficiency-and-what-it-really-means/#entry5681974

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Personally I'd say and opt for something from EVGA or XFX as they are the most common and normally the cheapest. For EVGA make sure you get the G2 or GS or above like the P2 and PS. For XFX the XTR and pro series are good. Also, Antec EDGE are good power supplies too.

Steve

Thanks all, I'm a like limited in choice down under, but will look into evga or fxf as they're popular here.

Thanks all, I'm a like limited in choice down under, but will look into evga or fxf as they're popular here.

If going with EVGA make sure to get the GS/B2/G2/P2/T2 and nothing else as a lot of their PSUs are a bit sketchy. The 1000W G1 is also a good choice but the unlisted rest should be avoided.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Personally I'd say and opt for something from EVGA or XFX as they are the most common and normally the cheapest. For EVGA make sure you get the G2 or GS or above like the P2 and PS. For XFX the XTR and pro series are good. Also, Antec EDGE are good power supplies too.

Mad - xfx & evga power supplies are vastly overpriced her in Aussie land. I'll keep lookiing I guess, thanks again

P

Also 750 for a single 970 is massively overkill, you could get away with as low as 400 W with a 970, but I would personally recommend the 500W range. Also I would recommend gold over platinum as some recent data suggests that certain platinum PSU's actually preform worse at voltage regulation than many golds as a way to increase efficiency.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Mad - xfx & evga power supplies are vastly overpriced her in Aussie land. I'll keep lookiing I guess, thanks again

Why are you replacing the HXi for? It's a perfectly good PSU and it's unlikely to explode on you and it's not going to make enough of a difference in your power bill getting an 80 Plus Titanium to justify the cost of getting a PSU that efficient in the first place.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

A quick check - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 750W Power Supply for $159 (AUD) and its $68 cheaper than the Hxi. May have found an option. Thanks all - such a great forum