Google 29th Event Nexus 5X/6P, New Chromecast, Pixel C Chromebook And Android 6.0

Rekx

I was interested in these two devices, though I'm glad I didn't wait for them to come out before purchasing something. $699 is a bit much, I think $599 would have had me seriously considering it. If battery life turns out to be a beast on the 6P I may consider picking one up when they go on sale next year.

I'm still more excited about the Blackberry Priv.

It's nice to see that the camera hump on the 6P isn't really huge, but honestly given that the camera scored second place only just behind the Samsung S6, I think even a small hump is a fair trade. Love to see the Nexus phones stepping it up in that area!

Overall a nice line up from Google. Can't wait to see what next year will bring.

Both phones are ugly as crap. Man google cant make hardware for shit. Both have camera's that stick out way to far. Apple can make software that works, google cant make hardware what a world to live in. 

I always love google and android as a service its always worked better for me than icloud and IOS but none of the phones google come up with are good enough. My favorite was actually the Nexus 5 phone and and Nexus 7 tablet they were basic and cheap which i liked and no contract. 

Google didn't make the hardware. LG and Huawei did.

Kind of light on info if you ask me. Guess we will have to wait for reviews to get all the details.

Things I like:

• USB Type C with quick charge. Two thumbs up for that.

• 1.55µm pixel camera is great. For those wondering, the iPhone 6S has 1.22µm pixels and the LG G4's and Galaxy S6's cameras are at 1.12µm.

• Front facing speakers is nice but I would have liked to see it on the Nexus 5X as well.

• Laser auto focus. I have only played around with it a bit on an LG G3 but it impressed me. Especially in low light.

• Fewer preloaded apps and more that can be uninstalled is nice. I reformatted my Nexus 10 and gave it to my mom and was shocked at how much crap was on it. They aren't big apps or anything, but it was like an entire page in the app drawer with just Google stuff, most of which will never be touched.

Things I don't like:

• The bullshit about how you don't need OIS with bigger pixels. Come on Google... You know that's a lie. They serve different purposes.

• No wireless charging for some reason. Why not? Wireless charging is great.

• Price... Not sure about US prices, but that's very close to what the LG G4 costs in the UK, and the LG G4 has 32GB of memory. Speaking of memory...

• Why the hell does it only have 16GB of memory? 32GB should have become the standard several years ago.

Cost savings. Yeah, it's only a few dollars. However, you sell 3 million devices, saving $4 a device turns into $12,000,000. There, now you've paid off a good number of engineers for their time on the project.

Their pricing is a little off, but these are new devices. I think it'd make more sense to compare them to the phone LG will be releasing shortly, not discounted flagships of the last half of the year.

I really wish they'd included OIS as well, but the camera did get 2nd place overall. Just slightly behind the Samsung S6.

The reason most phones are 16g is the simple fact most things are in cloud now day's  

Google drive has pretty good price. Google gives you 15g's free and you can get for 2$ a month 100g's or 9$ a month 1tb of storage. 

That doesn't help. I can't simply download music all the the time from the cloud. Data caps are a real thing.

Ugh, overpriced garbage.

USB Type-C, no SD card, and it looks like ass.

No thanks.

You think Type C is a disadvantage?

Most would see it as an advantage.

Nexus devices haven't had SD cards for ages, likely never will again.

The 5X does have front facing speakers.

They could have done it: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2015/07/28/qualcomm-becomes-first-company-enable-wireless-charging-mobile-devices

But like you say, pry trying to keep it as thin as possible.

Single speaker. So not quite.

"speaker", it has Moto X 2014 syndrome, the two "drivers" are an illusion.  This seems to be becoming a trend, only big phones get front-facing speakers.

I was interested in the 5X, but after some thinking about it. It's a Nexus device, and it has a 2700mAh battery...the battery life is going to be abysmal like my Nexus 5 has been for the last year or so.  If not now, it will in a year.  The interesting device this year is the 6P, as much as some people hate phablets, and the questionable reputation of Huawei.  Supposedly the AMOLED display also has an sRBG mode, which to paraphrase Anandtech, "seems to make it on par with the color calibration of the 5X."  Also 32GB maximum in 2015 is a deal-breaker.  I don't mind the starting being 16GB, but have at least the 64GB be the next step up.

The pricing makes it hot on the heels of the Moto X and the OPT, though frankly I wouldn't recommend the OPT to anyone currently.  

Seems like battery life would be even worse with that resolution. Dunno what they were thinking.

The 5x has a resolution of 1080p, same as the last one. Not sure what you mean?

turn off on the 6P: aluminium, no rem. battery, no exp. storage

turn off on the 5X: protruding camera ("oh it's thin" -> dude, go f*** yourself!), no rem. battery, no exp. storage, 32gb max internal storage, 2gb of ram

disappointed in this year nexus line up

I think you'll forever be disappointed in the Nexus line up if that's what you measure it by.

Overpriced

Compared to?

I LOVE the 6P but for slightly better specs I can get a OnePlus Two.. for ~$100 less :(

The 6P is better in quite a few areas...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I was interested in these two devices, though I'm glad I didn't wait for them to come out before purchasing something. $699 is a bit much, I think $599 would have had me seriously considering it. If battery life turns out to be a beast on the 6P I may consider picking one up when they go on sale next year.

I'm still more excited about the Blackberry Priv.

It's nice to see that the camera hump on the 6P isn't really huge, but honestly given that the camera scored second place only just behind the Samsung S6, I think even a small hump is a fair trade. Love to see the Nexus phones stepping it up in that area!

Overall a nice line up from Google. Can't wait to see what next year will bring.

Google didn't make the hardware. LG and Huawei did.

Cost savings. Yeah, it's only a few dollars. However, you sell 3 million devices, saving $4 a device turns into $12,000,000. There, now you've paid off a good number of engineers for their time on the project.

Their pricing is a little off, but these are new devices. I think it'd make more sense to compare them to the phone LG will be releasing shortly, not discounted flagships of the last half of the year.

I really wish they'd included OIS as well, but the camera did get 2nd place overall. Just slightly behind the Samsung S6.

That doesn't help. I can't simply download music all the the time from the cloud. Data caps are a real thing.

Single speaker. So not quite.

I think you'll forever be disappointed in the Nexus line up if that's what you measure it by.

Compared to?

The 6P is better in quite a few areas...

Yeah, I haven't looked deep into either phone yet. I've got a few months before my Verizon contract is up, by then there will be plenty of comparison videos and such :)

Well then i guess it doens't matter for you. Though AMOLED Is still a really nice feature.

Is AMOLED where black pixels don't light up? My GS4 has that I think :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'm thinking about switching to Project Fi.. how have you liked it so far? Reliable, fast coverage? On the product page it mentions if you pay $20 for 2GB but only use 1GB, you get refunded $10 for the gig you didn't use, is that refunded to your bank/paypal or is it just added to your google account for use on next months bill?

I like it I have not had any major issues, keep in mind it uses both T-mobile and sprint networks so you should check coverage in your area. as far as price is the best non unlimited plan out their. if i use .8 GB i only pay $8, you get charged at $10 per GB at a MB increments. I LOVE the feature were it ties my number to my google hangout account so i can call and text from ANY device i have hangouts on, that includes my PC and tablets. voicemail is all converted to text and texted to you. I also like how i can pay my phone off WITH out interest over 24 month and choose to pay it all of sooner if needed.

Pic of bill

ZTYzK87.png

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I like it I have not had any major issues, keep in mind it uses both T-mobile and sprint networks so you should check coverage in your area. as far as price is the best non unlimited plan out their. if i use .8 GB i only pay $8, you get charged at $10 per GB at a MB increments. I LOVE the feature were it ties my number to my google hangout account so i can call and text from ANY device i have hangouts on, that includes my PC and tablets. voicemail is all converted to text and texted to you. I also like how i can pay my phone off WITH out interest over 24 month and choose to pay it all of sooner if needed.

Pic of bill

ZTYzK87.png

All the tabs! :o

If you go over you're limit by say, half a GB, are you just charged $5? And I didn't know you could lease a nexus, makes it a much more viable option for me.. :o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Ooooohh, the 6P is an extremely enticing device. I loved the experience on my Nexus 5, and while my G4 is plenty good, the software and battery are killing me, build quality is decent but the 6P looks so much more attractive.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If you go over you're limit by say, half a GB, are you just charged $5? And I didn't know you could lease a nexus, makes it a much more viable option for me.. :o

Financing, actually, not leasing. Financing is paying for the device through monthly payments for a certain amount of time at a certain interest rate (phones usually have a 0% interest). Leasing is paying a smaller amount per month to rent the phone, but not keep it.

ya it would just be $5 extra, no extra fees. ya so I am financing the new nexus 6p and selling my nexus 6 then paying it off.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

ya it would just be $5 extra, no extra fees. ya so I am financing the new nexus 6p and selling my nexus 6 then paying it off.

sweet :o thanks for the help :)

Yup. It's expensive and there's no point having it on a phone.

Yup, which means I will likely never buy a Nexus device.

Might as well get a G4 at this price point.

Yup. It's expensive and there's no point having it on a phone.

Yup, which means I will likely never buy a Nexus device.

Might as well get a G4 at this price point.

I'm not a huge fan of the G4. It felt cheap to me.

So, what will you do when MicroSD stops being a thing on phones?

I don't think Type C is any more expensive than microUSB, and what do you mean by there's no point? It's a much better interconnect. Not having to look at which way you're inserting it, or having to think about it at all is a huge convenience.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm not a huge fan of the G4. It felt cheap to me.

So, what will you do when MicroSD stops being a thing on phones?

I don't think Type C is any more expensive than microUSB, and what do you mean by there's no point? It's a much better interconnect. Not having to look at which way you're inserting it, or having to think about it at all is a huge convenience.

Cool, well these new Nexus devices look like crap and are expensive, everyone has different tastes.

If there is a phone with a MicroSD slot then I'm going to get that one over any other. If it stops being a thing then obviously I can't complain about a phone not having it, but by the time it stops being a thing we'll probably have much higher capacity phones to use instead, not this 16GB/32GB BS that is going on still.

$10 for a single 3ft cable isn't expensive to you? When I can get a 6 pack of 3ft microUSB cables for $8? And there's no point putting Type-C on a phone, whatever differences or advantages it has over microUSB are null when it comes to phones anyway. And really, Type-C being inserted either way is a huge thing to you? It must take you a whole minute to figure out how to plug in your phone for Type-C to be a huge convenience for you LOL.

Cool, well these new Nexus devices look like crap and are expensive, everyone has different tastes.

If there is a phone with a MicroSD slot then I'm going to get that one over any other. If it stops being a thing then obviously I can't complain about a phone not having it, but by the time it stops being a thing we'll probably have much higher capacity phones to use instead, not this 16GB/32GB BS that is going on still.

$10 for a single 3ft cable isn't expensive to you? When I can get a 6 pack of 3ft microUSB cables for $8? And there's no point putting Type-C on a phone, whatever differences or advantages it has over microUSB are null when it comes to phones anyway. And really, Type-C being inserted either way is a huge thing to you? It must take you a whole minute to figure out how to plug in your phone for Type-C to be a huge convenience for you LOL.

1) Subjective. Now that I've seen the 6P from all angles rather than flat leaked images, I have to admit, it's gorgeous. Probably my next phone, too.

2) Google hasn't had MicroSD for awhile, it's plainly problematic and is easier to rely on cloud services and internal storage. If you're going to complain about the lack of MicroSD on a Nexus device, you'll have to go back a few years. It's been established that they won't have one.

3) Type-C is a move towards the future. It's a new, easier to use standard, but it will take some time before it's completely adopted.

And yes, every now and again, while I'm in bed with the lights off and only half conscious, determining if I'm plugging my phone correctly can take me a minute or two. T

I mean the other one, 6P.

I confused the two names when I was responding.

I mean the other one, 6P.

I confused the two names when I was responding.

Well Google did say that android will come with standby battery improvements and a bigger battery so it should be fine.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

1) Subjective. Now that I've seen the 6P from all angles rather than flat leaked images, I have to admit, it's gorgeous. Probably my next phone, too.

2) Google hasn't had MicroSD for awhile, it's plainly problematic and is easier to rely on cloud services and internal storage. If you're going to complain about the lack of MicroSD on a Nexus device, you'll have to go back a few years. It's been established that they won't have one.

3) Type-C is a move towards the future. It's a new, easier to use standard, but it will take some time before it's completely adopted.

And yes, every now and again, while I'm in bed with the lights off and only half conscious, determining if I'm plugging my phone correctly can take me a minute or two. T

I agree on the design. When i saw the leaked pictures i was doubting if the design was something for me. But when they showed pictures from the side the bump doesn't seem bad. For me the specs is what sold me on the 6p im getting one when it gets available in denmark (1st November) 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Compared to?

- Original Nexus 5 : there are only three meaningful improvements over it: the processor (duh!), the camera (duh!) and the finger print sensor, you get the same storage options (for a higher price, mind you...), same amount of RAM, same 1080p display, same Gorilla Glass 3 protection

- OnePlus One: $249, holy shit!

- OnePlus Two

- Moto X 2015 (what is it called, Style, Pure? whatever...)

- Nexus 6: you can grab one for $299

- pretty much every 2014 flagship, for example I just bought the Galaxy S5 for 350€, which is 130€ less than the starting price for the Nexus 5X here in Europe. I get expandable storage, a removable battery, waterproofing, a pretty damn good processor (and if you're not happy with the SD801, you can get a Galaxy S5 'Plus' with a SD805 for 419€) and the same amount of RAM

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

- Original Nexus 5 : there are only three meaningful improvements over it: the processor (duh!), the camera (duh!) and the finger print sensor, you get the same storage options (for a higher price, mind you...), same amount of RAM, same 1080p display, same Gorilla Glass 3 protection

- OnePlus One: $249, holy shit!

- OnePlus Two

- Moto X 2015 (what is it called, Style, Pure? whatever...)

- Nexus 6: you can grab one for $299

- pretty much every 2014 flagship, for example I just bought the Galaxy S5 for 350€, which is 130€ less than the starting price for the Nexus 5X here in Europe. I get expandable storage, a removable battery, waterproofing, a pretty damn good processor (and if you're not happy with the SD801, you can get a Galaxy S5 'Plus' with a SD805 for 419€) and the same amount of RAM

The battery is also largely improved. The Nexus 5 got pretty poor battery life. That alone is with the whopping $30 increase in price.

It gets a significantly better camera, and you don't think that's an upgrade?

Last years flagships will obviously be cheaper. Some would rather have the laser guided autofocus, and stock Android experience. Thus they'll pay more.

The Nexus 6 right now is a killer deal, granted, but a completely different class of device. It's massive.

OnePlus 2 shouldn't be included with their POS invite system.

You've got a decent case with the OPO if the phone is to the persons liking. If they want a smaller device, not so much.

The Nexus 5X likely has a better camera than the Motorola. Other than that and expandable storage they're pretty much the same, except the Nexus is cheaper.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Battery life and camera has always been poor in Nexus phones. We've seen it again with the Nexus 6: great camera and battery life on paper, only to disappoint in real life.

Again, you get a lot more bang for the buck when buying a flagship from last year, and this with barely any compromises: the Galaxy S5 has a 2800 mAh removable battery, bigger than the Nexus 5X, and it's extremely well supported, meaning you can just run CyanogenMod on it.

If you think a 400 mAh increase in battery size justifies a 30$ increase in price, you're crazy. Remember the Onplus One has a 3000 mAh battery for 249$ ...

Battery life and camera has always been poor in Nexus phones. We've seen it again with the Nexus 6: great camera and battery life on paper, only to disappoint in real life.

Again, you get a lot more bang for the buck when buying a flagship from last year, and this with barely any compromises: the Galaxy S5 has a 2800 mAh removable battery, bigger than the Nexus 5X, and it's extremely well supported, meaning you can just run CyanogenMod on it.

If you think a 400 mAh increase in battery size justifies a 30$ increase in price, you're crazy. Remember the Onplus One has a 3000 mAh battery for 249$ ...

Though oneplus have a pretty awful support, which is an effect of them trying to get it under $300.

Plus you can actually buy a Nexus phone without an invite.

Updated the news thread with more information about the Pixel C

Nope, $10 for a cable that I likely don't need more than one or two of isn't expensive to me. I also usually buy braided ones...so....they're even more expensive.

Yes, the ease of Type C and the fact that it'll last longer are great. I'd enjoy it. I've damaged phones because of the shit microUSB interconnect before.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Nope, $10 for a cable that I likely don't need more than one or two of isn't expensive to me. I also usually buy braided ones...so....they're even more expensive.

Yes, the ease of Type C and the fact that it'll last longer are great. I'd enjoy it. I've damaged phones because of the shit microUSB interconnect before.

microUSB was a terrible standard. Every device I used eventually got loose and the cable wouldn't stay plugged in.

Plus you can actually buy a Nexus phone without an invite.

It's not an invite, but it's basically the same. I've added the translation underneath the button:

1444051537-waiting-list.png

Welcome to Europe

It's not an invite, but it's basically the same. I've added the translation underneath the button:

1444051537-waiting-list.png

Welcome to Europe

It's not at all the same thing. And i actually live in Europe [emoji14] xD

All of those improvements to voice control, but does anybody actually use it?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II