Google 29th Event Nexus 5X/6P, New Chromecast, Pixel C Chromebook And Android 6.0

Rekx

Honestly kind of underwhelming... and the 2 phones are pretty ugly looking, and i hate that back finger print sensor >< when your phone is on the table you cant just unlock it without having to pick it up or lay it face down like if my phone is on my desk, I can just slap my finger (or thumb) on my iphone and it unlocks, cant do that here

...and yeah the phones are ugly, the 6p is better looking but I hate the black strip at the top on the back, not a fan at all

specs seem. fine... pricing seems..okay Idk nothing special about these at all, they just seem "fine" and nothing particularly special

...the 5x is meh i hate that camera on the back. the 6p looks nice would have been better if the camera was flush the specs seam fairly standard....

Funny, I swore thats what alot of android folks said about the iphone :P

Also i think the back finger print reader is no biggie, most of the scenarios mentioned (with the exception of it being docked/in the car dock.) back finger print sensors might be better.

But then again its subjective. Which really was the whole point of this post, seeing as to i know where @ShadowCaptain allegiance lies. :P

Also i think the back finger print reader is no biggie, most of the scenarios mentioned (with the exception of it being docked/in the car dock.) back finger print sensors might be better.

But then again its subjective. Which really was the whole point of this post, seeing as to i know where @ShadowCaptain allegiance lies. :P

Sure, but I am not talking about the iPhone.. this is just compared to other Android phones, I dont find this particularly appealing to me

And 99% of the time it makes more sense for the fingerprint reader to be on the front - when using wireless paying, when its on a table, when its in a dock, its just all easier on the front IMO

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm actually quite hesitant on W10M. I'm running the insider on my Lumia 920 and Its buggy as hell , Granted I'm using very dated hardware. Still the app situation looks kinda dire. I'm not missing any "essential" apps. But alot of the apps in the sotre lacks quality imo.

Oh and the design on the new lumias. kinda turn me off.

those are just non official renders. It could turn out looking much better, I hope. But the specs are promising. Gonna have to wait for next week. I'm not really an app person anyway so I don't care. As long as all the Microsoft services work fine I'm good. I need my live tiles. The app store could be improved once the devs start importing their apps with Project Astoria.

Well either that or I'm getting the 6s plus.

iphones camera looks really bad sticking out and thats only a little bit that 5x is gross.  as for that scanner...its is in a poor position for anything other than in you hand and that's bad design

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Sure, but I am not talking about the iPhone.. this is just compared to other Android phones, I dont find this particularly appealing to me

And 99% of the time it makes more sense for the fingerprint reader to be on the front - when using wireless paying, when its on a table, when its in a dock, its just all easier on the front IMO

I actually find the 5x pretty nice. the 6P too. They at least have a distinct look to them (more so the 6P) than most other phones out there

Which is why i said it was subjective. xD

iphones camera looks really bad sticking out and thats only a little bit that 5x is gross.  as for that scanner...its is in a poor position for anything other than in you hand and that's bad design

Its not just the fingerprint sensor that allows you to unlock your phone, google has many other features to deter,ine if the device is in "trusted" areas or hands. so yea...and i'm sure , while they're not microsfoft i m sure they did some research/focus groups/used big data to factor that choice into the design.....i hope.

those are just non official renders. It could turn out looking much better, I hope. But the specs are promising. Gonna have to wait for next week. I'm not really an app person anyway so I don't care. As long as all the Microsoft services work fine I'm good. I need my live tiles. The app store could be improved once the devs start importing their apps with Project Astoria.

Well either that or I'm getting the 6s plus.

Well heres to hoping! (tho i dont have much confidence tbh)

I too hope the windows mobile store takes off app wise, cause it is a very nice OS to be honest.

But the backlash and kind of animosity that MS faces kinda makes me pretty doubtful of it...

Its not just the fingerprint sensor that allows you to unlock your phone, google has many other features to deter,ine if the device is in "trusted" areas or hands. so yea...and i'm sure , while they're not microsfoft i m sure they did some research/focus groups/used big data to factor that choice into the design.....i hope.

Well heres to hoping! (tho i dont have much confidence tbh)

I too hope the windows mobile store takes off app wise, cause it is a very nice OS to be honest.

But the backlash and kind of animosity that MS faces kinda makes me pretty doubtful of it...

what do you mean the face unlocker that can be fooled by a photo or the failry standard pattern? i mean the fingerprint scanner is secure and quick thats the big draw to it, so to add it then put it in a place that leves you using something else is...well stupid. why bother with it at all?

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

what do you mean the face unlocker that can be fooled by a photo or the failry standard pattern? i mean the fingerprint scanner is secure and quick thats the big draw to it, so to add it then put it in a place that leves you using something else is...well stupid. why bother with it at all?

They have other options listed here

i mean afaik most of the usage case seem to work better with the reader at the back (picking up your phone off the table, out of your pocket, making payments.

What it isnt good at like usage on table, or when docked on a stand/in the car. but i don;t really think theres much more. further more i think google believes other methods of smart unlocking would cover these such cases

They have other options listed here

i mean afaik most of the usage case seem to work better with the reader at the back (picking up your phone off the table, out of your pocket, making payments.

What it isnt good at like usage on table, or when docked on a stand/in the car. but i don;t really think theres much more. further more i think google believes other methods of smart unlocking would cover these such cases

im going to assume that bluetooth and nfc are docks and the like not actual keyring type tags otherwise thats stupid, i would trust the trusted places simply because location can be a bit all over the place, not to mention i dont always want my phone unlocked at home (kids), on saying that if it works like it should then i can see how that would be good. the thing with the iphone is that the home button can wake the screen then read your fingerprint so that helps, i guess until people use it there not gonna know how good or bad the placement is

I ordered a 6P thought my project fi account, looks like a nice phone. anyone know if you can use a type C to displayport cable on the phone?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I ordered a 6P thought my project fi account, looks like a nice phone. anyone know if you can use a type C to displayport cable on the phone?

Why not?

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Why not?

phone chip-set not supporting DP.

phone chip-set not supporting DP.

Well according to annandtech (2014) it should have native support. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Well according to annandtech (2014) it should have native support. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

No, not every device with USB type-C supports the Alt Modes, they have to be specifically implemented and certified for each device.

USB type-c is just a physical connector standard, the chipset behinds it usually determines whether it can do USB 2, 3, or 3.1 speeds and if it can handle any other alt modes.

After some research, devs doing a AMA, the phones use USB 2 speeds and can not do any alt modes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3mzrl9/hi_im_hiroshi_lockheimer_here_at_google_with_the/

USB type-c is just a physical connector standard, the chipset behinds it usually determines whether it can do USB 2, 3, or 3.1 speeds and if it can handle any other alt modes.

After some research, devs doing a AMA, the phones use USB 2 speeds and can not do any alt modes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3mzrl9/hi_im_hiroshi_lockheimer_here_at_google_with_the/

Thanks for linking the AMA. Added it to the news thread.

Damn they are using a Samsung AMOLED display <3

I'm happy to see them still supporting the Nexus 7 2013. That's pretty awesome.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

I'm happy to see them still supporting the Nexus 7 2013. That's pretty awesome.

It's a good strategy for Google to do so. It shows that coming customers that they actually support their devices (cough cough im looking at you samsung!)

I would love to get the 6P and tablet but I can't, well at least not now anyways.

I would love to get the 6P and tablet but I can't, well at least not now anyways.

Lucky for me. My contract ends in late oktober and the 6p will launch (also ship) the 1st november in denmark 

I LOVE the 6P but for slightly better specs I can get a OnePlus Two.. for ~$100 less :(

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'm thinking about switching to Project Fi.. how have you liked it so far? Reliable, fast coverage? On the product page it mentions if you pay $20 for 2GB but only use 1GB, you get refunded $10 for the gig you didn't use, is that refunded to your bank/paypal or is it just added to your google account for use on next months bill?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I LOVE the 6P but for slightly better specs I can get a OnePlus Two.. for ~$100 less :(

Well  the 6p got a better build, nfc, better camera and a 1440p AMOLED samsung display. 

Well  the 6p got a better build, nfc, better camera and 1440p AMOLED samsung display.

I don't use NFC and I don't mind 1080p on smartphones :P nor do I use the camera a ton.. 

I don't use NFC and I don't mind 1080p on smartphones :P nor do I use the camera a ton.. 

Well then i guess it doens't matter for you. Though AMOLED Is still a really nice feature.