i5 4690k vs i5 6600k Is There A Big Difference?

Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,

A newer chipset and slightly better IPC.

Not worth upgrading, but perhaps worth buying in the first place, if you actually plan on using newer hardware (like nvme m.2 drives) later on. 

What is the actual difference detween these two cpu's?

And should i get a i7 4790k for $50 more?

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

Not worth upgrading, but perhaps worth buying in the first place, if you actually plan on using newer hardware (like nvme m.2 drives) later on. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Man, this topic. Like a bad penny.

Like the other topics have said. The Haswell is a better bang for the buck, the Skylake will have more options in the future. The DDR4 ram is great for everything but gaming, there it makes little difference.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Im on my first build so should i consider the newer stuff?

-Made In Canada

Im on my first build so should i consider the newer stuff?

Depends on budget honestly. If it doesn't limit your choice in other parts then yes, but if it does then stick with the 4690k. Give us a budget and we will do our best to fit it with that included as a design choice.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Man, this topic. Like a bad penny.

Like the other topics have said. The Haswell is a better bang for the buck, the Skylake will have more options in the future. The DDR4 ram is great for everything but gaming, there it makes little difference.

Im on my first build, dont know this stuff.  But thanks for the info

-Made In Canada

Im on my first build, dont know this stuff.  But thanks for the info

What he means is this topic has been posted a good 100x already and a little bit of searching (you know via the search option) would have told you this without starting a new thread. 

It's not a huge deal, but it would be better to check first before posting a new topic in the future.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Depends on budget honestly. If it doesn't limit your choice in other parts then yes, but if it does then stick with the 4690k. Give us a budget and we will do our best to fit it with that included as a design choice.

Im just wondering if i should get the i7 4790k for $50 more, yeah it will really stretch the budget but is it worth it?

-Made In Canada

Do you game or edit/render videos?

No, but might try it

-Made In Canada

What he means is this topic has been posted a good 100x already and a little bit of searching (you know via the search option) would have told you this without starting a new thread. 

It's not a huge deal, but it would be better to check first before posting a new topic in the future.

Oh, sorry, my bad.

-Made In Canada

Im just wondering if i should get the i7 4790k for $50 more, yeah it will really stretch the budget but is it worth it?

Completely depends on what you want your computer to do. Game, no. Anything else, yes.

Completely depends on what you want your computer to do. Game, no. Anything else, yes.

Mainly gaming yes. 

-Made In Canada

Since you indicated that you will try to do video editing/rendering, I would go for the i7-4790k.

Otherwise, i5-4690k.

"The Dead Legacy" (Since: XX.XX.2010) || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz || HSF: Stock Intel HSF || MB: MSI P35 Neo 2 LGA 775 || RAM: Kingston/Samsung/PQi 1 + 2x1 + 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz || GPU: Palit NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB (OS Drive) / 1 TB (Main Storage) SATA II/III || HDD: Hitachi 320 GB (Backup Storage) IDE || ODD: LG DVD-RW (KIA) IDE || PSU: Generic PSU 500W Non-Modular (Korean) ATX || Case: Generic Case (No Fans) ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 12" LED 1280x1024p || Speaker: Creative SBS 240 2.1 || KB: Generic Gaming (Full, No Macro) Keyboard || Mouse: T-REX Evolve Gaming Multi-Color Modded (RED LED Permanent) || Mousepad: Generic (Small) Black 

"The Chimera's Lair" (Since: 01.18.2016) || CPU: Intel Core™ i7-6700K 4.0 GHz (4.5 GHz OC) Skylake || HSF: NZXT Kraken X61 CLC || MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA1151 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4 GB GDDR5 || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB (OS Drive) SATA III || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2  TB (Mass Storage) SATA III / Seagate Barracuda 1  TB (Games Storage) SATA III  || PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Fully-Modular ATX || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: ASUS VC239H 23"  Frameless AH-IPS LED 1920x1080p (Not Yet Bought)

ONLY if it doesn't force you to use a lower gpu (or worse storage solution) in your total budget. Again it depends on the exact budget you have.

Oh, sorry, my bad.

It's not a huge deal, just think about it in the future.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Mainly gaming yes. 

My little 4690K does everything I throw at it a laughs. I have it overclocked to 4.6GHz though. I don't edit or render a thing though. The 4690K is a great processor for the money.

Since you indicated that you will try to do video editing/rendering, I would go for the i7-4790k.

Otherwise, i5-4690k.

Well for $25 more to get the i7, it is not that bad.  (i know i said $50 for the i7 earlier but i just looked it up and its $25)

-Made In Canada

The 6600K has a smaller "Silicon Lottery" difference from chip to chip. You will be able to overclock each Skylake CPU to about the same point. Skylake chips are better to go with due to being more modern and having more upgrade paths down the line. Skylake supports DDR4 RAM which supports higher clocks while maintaining lowered voltages when compared to earlier RAM types. They also have a better iGPU, but that really shouldn't matter if you're investing in such a chip because you'll probably buy a GPU to go with it anyways. Their performance is identical in a typical setup. Go for the one you can afford.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

My little 4690K does everything I throw at it a laughs. I have it overclocked to 4.6GHz though. I don't edit or render a thing though. The 4690K is a great processor for the money.

Would it still do fine non-overclocked?

-Made In Canada

Well for $25 more to get the i7, it is not that bad.  (i know i said $50 for the i7 earlier but i just looked it up and its $25)

The i7 does make more heat in some cases than the i5. The i5 can also beat the i7 in single core performance which is why it's awesome for gaming. But the i7 is a MUCH better processor.

The i7 does make more heat in some cases than the i5. The i5 can also beat the i7 in single core performance which is why it's awesome for gaming. But the i7 is a MUCH better processor.

Only if you are thermally limited, which you really shouldn't be (esp since if you disable HT then it's an just a better binned i5, and yes generally speaking i7s are better binned just as a result of the process intel uses to make each processor set.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Would it still do fine non-overclocked?

Sorry for the double post.

Honestly if you're not going to overclock save money and get a locked i7. Only get a Z97 motherboard if you plan to SLI or Xfire if you're not going to over clock. Overclocking is great for bragging rights but does very little to help in game performance.

ONLY if it doesn't force you to use a lower gpu (or worse storage solution) in your total budget. Again it depends on the exact budget you have.

It's not a huge deal, just think about it in the future.

right now i can get the 4790k without needing to loose stuff so i may go with that for $25 more

-Made In Canada

right now i can get the 4790k without needing to loose stuff so i may go with that for $25 more

If you don't mind me asking can you post a PCPartpicker list and/or a budget?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS