i5 4690k vs i5 6600k Is There A Big Difference?

Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,

A newer chipset and slightly better IPC.

Not worth upgrading, but perhaps worth buying in the first place, if you actually plan on using newer hardware (like nvme m.2 drives) later on. 

right now i can get the 4790k without needing to loose stuff so i may go with that for $25 more

You really can't go wrong, especially if you're not going to OC.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Sorry for the double post.

Honestly if you're not going to overclock save money and get a locked i7. Only get a Z97 motherboard if you plan to SLI or Xfire if you're not going to over clock. Overclocking is great for bragging rights but does very little to help in game performance.

Its actually a good amount cheaper to get a z97 board

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

I'd say, go for it.

"The Dead Legacy" (Since: XX.XX.2010) || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz || HSF: Stock Intel HSF || MB: MSI P35 Neo 2 LGA 775 || RAM: Kingston/Samsung/PQi 1 + 2x1 + 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz || GPU: Palit NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB (OS Drive) / 1 TB (Main Storage) SATA II/III || HDD: Hitachi 320 GB (Backup Storage) IDE || ODD: LG DVD-RW (KIA) IDE || PSU: Generic PSU 500W Non-Modular (Korean) ATX || Case: Generic Case (No Fans) ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 12" LED 1280x1024p || Speaker: Creative SBS 240 2.1 || KB: Generic Gaming (Full, No Macro) Keyboard || Mouse: T-REX Evolve Gaming Multi-Color Modded (RED LED Permanent) || Mousepad: Generic (Small) Black 

"The Chimera's Lair" (Since: 01.18.2016) || CPU: Intel Core™ i7-6700K 4.0 GHz (4.5 GHz OC) Skylake || HSF: NZXT Kraken X61 CLC || MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA1151 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4 GB GDDR5 || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB (OS Drive) SATA III || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2  TB (Mass Storage) SATA III / Seagate Barracuda 1  TB (Games Storage) SATA III  || PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Fully-Modular ATX || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: ASUS VC239H 23"  Frameless AH-IPS LED 1920x1080p (Not Yet Bought)

You really can't go wrong, especially if you're not going to OC.

Ok, thanks. 

PS sorry if my first comment seemed snappy

-Made In Canada

Then get it, most are built like tanks xD. Keep a careful eye on the one you choose. In the 100-150 range US which board you get depends on your needs. I didn't want to worry about a board ariving dead and wanted to have the best audio chip available so the Gigabyte Ultra Durable Black edition made sense to me. But the Asus board has a much better Ethernet.

If you don't mind me asking can you post a PCPartpicker list and/or a budget?

yeah sure, lemme type it out. (dont judge, im on xbox one typing with a controller)

-Made In Canada

yeah sure, lemme type it out. (dont judge, im on xbox one typing with a controller)

It's all good.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Sold my PS4 once my parts arrived, your PCMR decoder ring is in the mail LOL.

I'd personally suggest the Z97 Pro Gamer or a MSI z97 Gaming 5. For Gigabyte... well what App4that suggested, it's a pretty sexy board imo.

"The Dead Legacy" (Since: XX.XX.2010) || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz || HSF: Stock Intel HSF || MB: MSI P35 Neo 2 LGA 775 || RAM: Kingston/Samsung/PQi 1 + 2x1 + 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz || GPU: Palit NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB (OS Drive) / 1 TB (Main Storage) SATA II/III || HDD: Hitachi 320 GB (Backup Storage) IDE || ODD: LG DVD-RW (KIA) IDE || PSU: Generic PSU 500W Non-Modular (Korean) ATX || Case: Generic Case (No Fans) ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 12" LED 1280x1024p || Speaker: Creative SBS 240 2.1 || KB: Generic Gaming (Full, No Macro) Keyboard || Mouse: T-REX Evolve Gaming Multi-Color Modded (RED LED Permanent) || Mousepad: Generic (Small) Black 

"The Chimera's Lair" (Since: 01.18.2016) || CPU: Intel Core™ i7-6700K 4.0 GHz (4.5 GHz OC) Skylake || HSF: NZXT Kraken X61 CLC || MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA1151 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4 GB GDDR5 || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB (OS Drive) SATA III || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2  TB (Mass Storage) SATA III / Seagate Barracuda 1  TB (Games Storage) SATA III  || PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Fully-Modular ATX || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: ASUS VC239H 23"  Frameless AH-IPS LED 1920x1080p (Not Yet Bought)

Then get it, most are built like tanks xD. Keep a careful eye on the one you choose. In the 100-150 range US which board you get depends on your needs. I didn't want to worry about a board ariving dead and wanted to have the best audio chip available so the Gigabyte Ultra Durable Black edition made sense to me. But the Asus board has a much better Ethernet.

idk what that asus last bit means but i think thats good.  The z97 board thats cheap is a asrock anniversary

-Made In Canada

Sold my PS4 once my parts arrived, your PCMR decoder ring is in the mail LOL.

xD

-Made In Canada

idk what that asus last bit means but i think thats good.  The z97 board thats cheap is a asrock anniversary

If you're going to hook the internet directly to your motherboard I'd advise a Asus motherboard. If you're going to use a wireless adapter then you may want something else depending on your needs. Asrock aren't bad boards, like MSI they usually trade some bling for build quality. But once you cross a hundred bucks you'll have a hard time picking a bad motherboard if you stick to the main four manufacturers.

Ditch the 4 sticks and go with two and save some money. Won't effect your performance. So 2x4 or 2x8 will do you just fine. Not sure about the GPU, I'm more familiar with AMD so hopefully someone else can help with that.

If you're going to hook the internet directly to your motherboard I'd advise a Asus motherboard. If you're going to use a wireless adapter then you may want something else depending on your needs. Asrock aren't bad boards, like MSI they usually trade some bling for build quality. But once you cross a hundred bucks you'll have a hard time picking a bad motherboard if you stick to the main four manufacturers.

That asus sounds really good, might try to add it to the list.  Quick question, is it ANY asus board?

-Made In Canada

Ditch the 4 sticks and go with two and save some money. Won't effect your performance. So 2x4 or 2x8 will do you just fine. Not sure about the GPU, I'm more familiar with AMD so hopefully someone else can help with that.

The gpu i can tell you is a beauty for the price and power.  Might go 2x8 but i dont see myself going 32gb ram anytime soon unless it has some big bonuses.  And 4x4 kinda looks better, but i do know what you are saying.

-Made In Canada

That asus sounds really good, might try to add it to the list.  Quick question, is it ANY asus board?

I would probably won't cheap out on this.

Z97-A/AR, Z97-E, Z97 Pro Gamer are great choices.

The only missing on that board is the top heatsink right? I forgot the other features tho.

Might need a refresher.

The only missing on that board is the top heatsink right? I forgot the other features tho.

Might need a refresher.

Yep, missed that.

$159 CDN cheapiest, cheapiest in stock is $183 CDN

That sucks. Keep shopping and before you buy check the number of fans it can power, type of audio chip if you don't plan on running a sound card(no need with the Gigabyte), heat sinks like JC980 pointed out(gigabyte has'em xD), and other features. I researched my motherboard for a week. Time well spent.

Yep, missed that.

That sucks. Keep shopping and before you buy check the number of fans it can power, type of audio chip if you don't plan on running a sound card(no need with the Gigabyte), heat sinks like JC980 pointed out(gigabyte has'em xD), and other features. I researched my motherboard for a week. Time well spent.

Okay, thanks for the advise and help

-Made In Canada