Should we support AMD?

S3 Graphics and PowerVR are still companies and would likely step up.

well there are laws in place that would prevent a "monopoly" from happening. but eventually AMD is going to respond to the huge shift twords intel, a huge multi national company like AMD can't really make decisions to change directions of the company very quickly. 

Fallout 4 

LTT's Tumblr Consultant 

S3 Graphics and PowerVR are still companies and would likely step up.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in the realm of PC's and I've never heard of those two companies.  

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

There are laws and trusts set up to make sure no one company is able to have a monopoly in the CPU and GPU market.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

There are laws and trusts set up to make sure no one company is able to have a monopoly in the CPU and GPU market.

Weird how telecommunications companies have no competition in many regions...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Yes, but those laws can only lessen the impact. A company with a clear advantage would undoubtedly use their position to raise prices. Also some countries do not have the same protections we have. 

Everybody thats even a little bit informed about the PC market already knows this.

I figured having a thread about it would be nice. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Weird how telecommunications companies have no competition in many regions...

This is true.

But I suppose there is nothing saying they cant?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Yes, but those laws can only lessen the impact. A company with a clear advantage would undoubtedly use their position to raise prices. Also some countries do not have the same protections we have. 

I figured having a thread about it would be nice. 

We kinda already did with the threads speculating on amd's debt problems and what will happen if zen fails

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

AMD is fine, and if it wasn't the US government has things in place to prevent Nvidia and Intel becoming monopolies (Chapter 11 Reorganization Bankruptcy allows the company to continue but to restructure its debts.) Also if they needed to they could probably get a loan from the government.

Regardless an investor or the US DOJ and/or the FTC would ensure that if AMD could not function that they could get some sort of protection.

Though honestly if you buy an Nvidia GPU right now, you're most likely doing it for features rather than sheer performance because really the AMD doesn't have anything to compete with the Titan X.

If you're going to buy a 980 or a 980 Ti, consider a R9 390X or R9 Fury (non-X).

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in the realm of PC's and I've never heard of those two companies.  

S3, one of the original PC-GPU manufacturers from the 1990s.

PowerVR is the maker of many mobile GPUs.

You just need to be an old fart like me, I remember S3 like it was yesterday. PowerVR mostly does mobile stuff now(like SoC type stuff).

How long did it take to break up AT&T?

The pc market does not comprise the entire market for gpu or cpu. I am not sure it accounts for the majority of gpu sales. PC CPU have been a small part of the total cpu market for some time.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

How long did it take to break up AT&T?

The pc market does not comprise the entire market for gpu or cpu. I am not sure it accounts for the majority of gpu sales. PC CPU have been a small part of the total cpu market for some time.

Speaking in this realm of the CPU market, srry should have specified :P

You guys realize what happened when Apple was almost dead. Microsoft bought a large portion of them so that Microsoft wasn't destroyed by US goverment. Intel has to do this. They have to keep AMD.

how

Devs actively refusing to use it - I've seen about 2 dozen even call it out on twitter. Not looking good for it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

As much as I like nvidia I like competition too. To keep things progressing. That said I refuse to buy a amd gpu/cpu to bail them out. Their poor sales and business numbers are their own fault not mine.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

As much as I like nvidia I like competition too. To keep things progressing. That said I refuse to buy a amd gpu/cpu to bail them out. Their poor sales and business numbers are their own fault not mine.

CPU, I don't blame you at all - but their GPUs are for the most part better as of this moment in time

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

CPU, I don't blame you at all - but their GPUs are for the most part better as of this moment in time

Titan X and 980TI are still better then the Fury X. This is fact as in the majority of benchmarks they score higher and get better fps in most games. Not much better any where from 5-15 fps depending on factors. Its about preference when it comes to gpus, but their cpus are hot garbage.

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Titan X and 980TI are still better then the Fury X. This is fact as in the majority of benchmarks they score higher and get better fps in most games. Not much better any where from 5-15 fps depending on factors. Its about preference when it comes to gpus, but their cpus are hot garbage.

The Titan X is actually the slowets out of the bunch since it thermalthrottles like a champ - 980 Ti is optimal

As for the rest - Fury is better than the 980 by double digit percentages

390X is only slightly behind the 980 but 100$ cheaper

390 beats the 970 for the same price usually

380 is about 15% faster than a 960

950 beats a 370 (370X to come)

and 750 Ti loses to a 370 and beats a 360

380X to come

If you want benchmarks - tell me - I have a lot of those :P - been proving this for several months now

The Titan X is actually the slowets out of the bunch since it thermalthrottles like a champ - 980 Ti is optimal

As for the rest - Fury is better than the 980 by double digit percentages

390X is only slightly behind the 980 but 100$ cheaper

390 beats the 970 for the same price usually

380 is about 15% faster than a 960

950 beats a 370 (370X to come)

and 750 Ti loses to a 370 and beats a 360

380X to come

If you want benchmarks - tell me - I have a lot of those :P - been proving this for several months now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahz-iwwP8mQ Shows the furyX being kept up with a 980 hybrid gpu. Yeah titanX is more powerful and so is the 980 ti then the fury X Not saying by a huge amount but it does. Id love to see it beating it in double digits other then farcry $ which wasnt by double digits tho.

-snip-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahz-iwwP8mQ Shows the furyX being kept up with a 980 hybrid gpu. Yeah titanX is more powerful and so is the 980 ti then the fury X

A 980? I somehow find it hard to believe since it took an EVGA Classified 980 @ 1520 core to match the bare Fury.